Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
I absolutely hated my Epic Flash 3W. However I was determined to learn to hit it. Last week I decided to change the loft to +2. Instant success. Why this made a difference in contact I have no idea. But, it did work and now this is my confidence club for distance.

Last edited:
I just ordered one...This will help

Could of changed the lie angle enough to allow you to get thru the ball better. Sometimes those little changes make a big difference.

Last week at the simulator I changed my 3w to the upright setting and noticed a big change in ball striking. Further investigation will continue tomorrow at the simulator.

Could of changed the lie angle enough to allow you to get thru the ball better. Sometimes those little changes make a big difference.
I believe it did. I think it’s a bit more upright now.

It’s most definitely the lie angle change for ya

I'm way more confident with my 3 wood vs my driver!

At various club trials I couldn't hit 3w for crap.. someone here suggested the rogue 4w and it launches amazing

i have the best in my opinion the ping g 400 stretch 3 wood. It has a alta 65 shaft with 16 grams in the head its doesn't balloon at all shoots lazer beams

I'm gonna have to try the same with mine today. (y)
Have same issue with not hitting it well.

I'm gonna have to try the same with mine today. (y)
Have same issue with not hitting it well.
It’s like a night and day difference. I was shocked. I outdrove my playing partner twice off the tee with the 3 wood last week.

I took my 3W out of my bag 2 years ago, just couldn't hit it. The other day I tried the Mavrik 3W hoping that I could make this my second shot club. Nope, still can't hit it well.

Could also be the fact it has a little more loft. You’re not quite as worried about being able to get it airborne? Two degrees isn’t a whole lot, but this game is so mentally dumb that sometimes that’s all it takes to convince yourself to hit it and let the club get the ball in the air.

Could also be the fact it has a little more loft. You’re not quite as worried about being able to get it airborne? Two degrees isn’t a whole lot, but this game is so mentally dumb that sometimes that’s all it takes to convince yourself to hit it and let the club get the ball in the air.

That’s sound advice. I have difficulty with hitting a 3 wood consistently but I have no problem with a 20 degree heavenwood. I’m very confident with one and have no confidence in the other.

That’s sound advice. I have difficulty with hitting a 3 wood consistently but I have no problem with a 20 degree heavenwood. I’m very confident with one and have no confidence in the other.

Fun game isn't it haha. My thought for 3w is to cup the left wrist a little bit at the top so it’s open, and then swing really really hard. It doesn’t give me time to think, and I’m not as worried about a low shot and left. It just frees me up, and I can just tag the hell out of it.

I absolutely hated my Epic Flash 3W. However I was determined to learn to hit it. Last week I decided to change the loft to +2. Instant success. Why this made a difference in contact I have no idea. But, it did work and now this is my confidence club for distance.

yesterday I was hating my driver...I had it re-gripped and it seems more closed at address...and idk if it was mental or what but I was hitting straight to the right the entire time...finally switched to my 3W for some respite and I hit it nicely 2 out of my 3 tee shots.

yesterday I was hating my driver...I had it re-gripped and it seems more closed at address...and idk if it was mental or what but I was hitting straight to the right the entire time...finally switched to my 3W for some respite and I hit it nicely 2 out of my 3 tee shots.
I use Jumbo grips For a while. Found I had to go to Mid size due to my inability to turn the club over.

It’s like a night and day difference. I was shocked. I outdrove my playing partner twice off the tee with the 3 wood last week.
Dialed mine up 2 degrees and have hit it nicely the 2 times I’ve used so far on front 9 this afternoon. 228 yards on one shot as approach on a par 5 ?

That is best I have hit this one since adding to my bag. If I can continue with it say that distance, it’s right where I have gapping issue in the bag. :cool:

Dialed mine up 2 degrees and have hit it nicely the 2 times I’ve used so far on front 9 this afternoon. 228 yards on one shot as approach on a par 5 ?

That is best I have hit this one since adding to my bag. If I can continue with it say that distance, it’s right where I have gapping issue in the bag. :cool:
You and me both. It’s really filled a void for me. I suspect I’ll get more comfortable with it over the next few weeks and beyond.

I took my 3W out of my bag 2 years ago, just couldn't hit it. The other day I tried the Mavrik 3W hoping that I could make this my second shot club. Nope, still can't hit it well.
I did the same thing a couple years ago. Switched to a 5-wood and it's much better. The lower the loft of any club the more club-head speed you need to get the ball up high enough so that the ground does not interfere with distance. It's the basic gravity arc equation for a projectile from H.S. physics. So increasing loft helps a lot. I did this after watching some videos and reading an article by Butch Harmon where he says most purely recreational golfers hit a 5 wood the same distance or further than a similar 3 wood. This certainly seems to be the case with me with my age and joint problems.

The inventor of the 3W has a special place in a hot environment reserved for eternity... I love to hate 3W

I have the Epic Flash 3w and I either hit it perfect or top it. Right now I am not even trying to hit it off the deck. I have changed shafts and changed lofts - so far hasn't worked. I don't think I went +2 like you did though. Yesterday I hit it about 4 times off of tees and I skulled one, hit one about 60 yards and the other too were hit very nicely. I think I am going to have a serious talk with that club. :cool:

I am useless off the deck with my 3w. So I am considering going with a 4w next. Maybe a TE HL4 or a Maltby.

No plans on that any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Epic Flash 3w and I either hit it perfect or top it. Right now I am not even trying to hit it off the deck. I have changed shafts and changed lofts - so far hasn't worked. I don't think I went +2 like you did though. Yesterday I hit it about 4 times off of tees and I skulled one, hit one about 60 yards and the other too were hit very nicely. I think I am going to have a serious talk with that club. :cool:
Try the loft setting. I didn’t think it would make such a difference, but it did.

Back