OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
There's a lot of discussion on etiquette, protocol, respect for the game, etc here. A lot of it seems to be based on traditions, poor attitudes and actions by uneducated/inexperienced golfers, or people that are just self-centered and rude in general.

So my question is this - is the removal of one's hat and shaking of their playing partners hands important to you? Do you find it disrespectful if someone doesn't shake? Doesn't remove their hat? Or their glove?Does it all, but sourly?

I ask this because almost every time I watch golf I notice MANY pro golfers remove their hat, run their hand through their sweaty mop (presumably to make sure their hat-head is camera acceptable), and IMMEDIATELY shake their partners hands, the caddies hands, etc. To me, it seems very disrespectful. I've recently started to pay attention to it, and I almost never see a player so much as wipe their hand off on their pant leg before reaching out for the handshakes.

Personally I feel that the handshakes are a valuable and important part of the end of round ritual. A sign of respect and appreciation for your partner, opponent, others that helped, etc. I could care less if you take your hat off. Even keep your glove on. Some people are weird about germs or being touched and that's fine by me. I expect you to shake my hand when offered though, or I'll take it as a sign of disrespect or poor sportsmanship. That said, if you're going to pull your hat, reflexively run your hand through the sweaty and or product filled hair that's been festering under that hat for the last five hours and then shake my hand, I'll consider you just as rude as if you hadn't. From my side, you may as well have spit in it.

As I've written this I've thought back on the variety of people I've played with this year and realized that many haven't removed their hat, and at least two have had their gloves on (they putt with them, too), but they've all given a good shake and I felt they were sincere in their appreciation for the competition and camaraderie. So I guess that's all that really matters to me. That and the fact that none of them felt the need to wipe a well soiled part of their body before offering it!

The guys I play with, I guess we always do remove hats and shake hands. Hadn't really noticed the sweaty palm thing recently run through a sweaty head, so thanks for that! Now I won't be able to NOT notice that, lol. That being said, I wouldn't be offended, at least I don't think I would. Now if somebody left me hangin for a hand shake, that would be another matter, lol.

Interesting thoughts for sure. Are young people taught how to even shake hands anymore? I will always give a good handshake after a round, and I agree it is a sign of respect for your playing partners or an opponent.

I always shake everyone's hand, but I don't remove my hat before doing so.

I don’t remove my hat (woman’s etiquette saying I don’t gotta - plus the ponytail makes that tricky) but I usually shake hands though more likely it’s a hug, as I rarely play with strangers.

Everyone is sweaty - usually no one more than me - after a round, so I don’t notice it, though I give sweaty hug warnings.

I'm a hats off, handshake guy.

But I don't sweat it (ha!) if someone else doesn't remove their hat, or wants to do a fist bump instead.

The important thing is the "good round" at the end. Never had an occasion where this or something like it wasn't uttered, and I think if I ever did, I would not want ot play with that person again.

The only exception to this rule is when I play with my mom. She gets a kiss.

personally, i'm a hat off, handshake guy. i'll fist bump if someone prefers that over a handshake. but if you leave your hat on, i won't think less of you.

It's become reflex to remove a hat and shake hands after the last putt drops... Then the odd ride back to the cart station and another goodbye or two there if not hitting the 19th hole

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I rarely remove my hat, but will offer a handshake after a round with strangers. I don't routinely shake my kid's hand after we're done. I just give him shyt because I beat him again. Gotta take advantage as long as I can. Won't be long until he'll beat me every time out.

I always shake hands. I don't care about the hat, leave it on, take it off, throw it in a bush, do whatever you want with your IMO.

I've always been someone who will take my hat off and shake hands after the last putt drops. I don't think any less of those who don't remove their hat. It's just how I was taught when I started playing.

People started doing it when Tiger started doing it.

I have no particular desire to see someone's bald and/or sweaty head when they shake my hand on the 18th green. And I'm certainly not going to pull mine off while I'm standing in the sun.

I always shake my playing partners hands but rarely remove my cap while doing it.

Whether it's a post-round hand shake or fist bump, a short "I enjoyed it, great playing" or what have you, do you do this on the green or the cart return, if the group behind you is waiting to hit their approaches? We do it on the green and are gone in about 30 seconds, max. If you're waiting to hit, does that other you?

Always remove my cap after the round ends before shaking hands of playing partners. Never considered anything different. Good manners are the mark of a man.

Parrot;n8894975 said:
I always shake my playing partners hands but rarely remove my cap while doing it.

Whether it's a post-round hand shake or fist bump, a short "I enjoyed it, great playing" or what have you, do you do this on the green or the cart return, if the group behind you is waiting to hit their approaches? We do it on the green and are gone in about 30 seconds, max. If you're waiting to hit, does that other you?

I am not the most patient person in the world and a lot of stuff people do while I'm waiting in the fairway drives me to distraction.

But no, I don't begrudge them that 30 seconds (if that) to exchange handshakes. It's the final hole of the day and it doesn't take much time at all. Plus I know once they shake hands they will FINALLY be out of my way soon! ;-)

Like Ducatigirl I don't remove my visor, and in my usual golfing group we give high 5's after the last putt.

Shaking hands is just what people do when leaving any social event, so it's not something I consider part of golf, just normal behavior.

But taking off the hat is silly, I don't care one bit if people don't and I probably don't often as well, if that bothers anyone so be it.

Yes, remove hat and shake hands. Make an effort not to hold up the group behind if waiting.

I don't think I've ever played a round where we didn't shake hands at the end of it. As far as the hat removal goes, I don't care if you remove it or not, but personally I always remove it as habit. My guess is the removal of the hat to shake hands came about as a sign of respect/being a gentleman, and at the end of the round most players would go to the clubhouse anyway that required you to remove your hat before entering (still in place at most private courses, not so much at muni courses).

I usually take it off, but doesn't matter to me one way or the other if someone does or doesn't.

I personally remove my hat and sunglasses, look people in the eye, and give them a firm handshake after the round. But I consider all of that optional except for the firm handshake. If you are going to give me a limp handshake, just switch to a fistbump. If people are waiting behind us in the fairway, I let them wait. I consider not shaking hands after a round poor form. I have played with some older gentlemen that prefer to shake hands at the cart if people are waiting behind us; that is understandable if they move slow and want to get a head start on a long walk to the cart.

Last edited:
I always shake hands but sometimes forget to take my hat off. I don’t care if someone else keeps their hat on or not.

I think a nice firm handshake while looking someone in the eyes is all you need. Not sure when the hat off thing started to become a thing but I don't do it normally and don't worry about it.

I don't care about hats off after a round. I think the whole hat removal thing certainly has its place in proper etiquette in many areas and I am a strong believer in that. But I don't find it an issue after a round. I just feel that its part of golf attire. A good hand shake or even a sincere fist bump with respectful eye contact is all it takes to acknowledge respect to each other.

I don't normally wear hats at all anywhere and only when sunny on the course is about the only time I do. So I often forget to take it off. Many people tend to wear hats very often and outside of golf and a percentage those people will remove it to shake because it something they are use to doing. But when one (like myself) never wears one except only on the course we can forget to take it off because just not use to it.

There are many places and times hats should be off and I am about as big a stickler that there is for trying to preserve what dwindling good etiquettes we have left but for the handshake after a round I just don't see it as such a negative. That said I do always take it off when I remember if I even wore one.

I remove my hat and shake hands after a round. The majority of people I play with do shake hands but don't remove their hat. Doesn't bother me.

Back