Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
I did not want to go off topic on the Fourteen Golf hat thread, so I thought I'd make another topic to discuss hats. What kind of hats do you have? How many do you have? Do you like to match your hats with your outfit or does it matter? Do you like to wear a hat brand in which you have clubs with?

I have 2 hats both are the same style which are the 2 Titleist mesh hats. One is white which can be worn with almost anything, and one orange which I use to wear with my favorite outfit. I think these are the only hats I will buy because they are truly an amazing hat. I plan to get some more as well.

Another statement: I find Charlie Hoffman's flat beak hat to actually look good on him. i've heard controversy on how it does not look good or it's an ugly hat. I think the flat beak looks great!

Re: Hats

I typically just wear visors. I gave 4 different visors 2 adidas and 2 taylormade. Just so happens that's the clubs I play and the adidas matches my bag.

I actually wish there was a larger variety of visors available. More color choices etc. If I could wear a baseball style cap that actually looked good on my huge head I would but just haven't been able to find one that fits. The xl fitted make my head feel like it's going to pop! Haha

I saw some pictures of some new puma visors I'm really hoping to pick up. I love their color options far more than any other hat/visor I've seen and their logos are tamed down. I will only buy visors that have very subtle logos. Example would be the taylormade burner and R9 hats. They just have too much going on for me

Hats definitely have to match--that's my primary criterion. I prefer unstructured and can't wear visors. I don't like the way a visor's weight distributes itself on my head.

All told, I bet I have 75 to 100 hats. I break out different ones for different seasons and type of things I'm doing. Golf hats, fishing hats, pool hats, some are just everyday hats. I possibly have 20 hats just for hunting alone.

I get a lot of grief from buddies because my hats always match. I like a rounded bill and smaller logo's.

I'm pretty picky about my hats.
I own about 10 that I use for golf: unstructured Cobras in white and black, a Cobra visor in white, a Titleist visor in orange (actually this one used to be a hat, but it looked stupid and I chopped off the top and re-stitched it into a visor), an unstructured Taylormade in red, and the rest I don't even know the brands of, I just bought them because they were cheap and I liked the way they looked. There's a multi-colored plaid visor, a bright yellow visor, a dark green "driver" style cap, and a couple other multi-colored ones I don't use much.
I am quite stingy in the fact that my hat must always go with my belt, and usually my shoes too (in the case of white and black). If I'm going with other colors, usually two of the three match (I have belts in red, yellow, and orange). Although I only have white or black shoes, but they can still match based on the color of the logo on the hat.

Oh, and I always have a well-rounded bill, and a very low-profile front panel. Hats like Ricky Fowler's drive me nuts.
Some guys can pull it off, though. I don't mind Charlie Hoffman's look at all. He would look stupid with an unstructered, rounded bill hat. He has too much hair for that. That's probably why Camilo used to wear those military style caps when he had the long hair.

Fit wise, the second from top all blue is my favorite hat. However JL has me worried that I'm selecting my hats wrong. I try to match my shirt, not the belt or shoes. I bet the fashion police will get me.

P1020175.jpg

P1020174.jpg

Duey - Your hat should complement your outfit.

Matching the hat to the shirt is fine, especially if you go with a more classic look (ordinary dress pants with black belt & shoes, brown belt with white & brown saddle shoes, etc.). You can't go wrong with outfits like that.
phil-mickelson-doral_299.jpg

I usually wear solid bright colors with either black or white, so the hat matching the belt/shoes is better for contrast. Sometimes I match my belt to my shirt, with the hat and shoes the same color as the pants. Only works with the right colors though.
I often sport the exact colors of this outfit:
pga_g_villegas_600.jpg

Duey - Your hat should complement your outfit.

Thats kind of what I try to do, but the shirts really the most "stand-out" thing I wear, so I match with that. My belts are either brown or black and shoes are the same, lol.

I'm just not that trendy JL. Too old I guess.

Ha, I actually found a pic of my two examples side-by-side.
mickelson_villegas_08tour.jpg

Just two different ways to wear basic colors. They both look absolutely fine, it's just a matter of personal preference whether you want the contrast on your shoe-to-pant transition (Mickelson) or head-to-shirt transition (Villegas).

Those look very sharp. I'd sport something like that. White pants just are not for me, but look great on anyone else. I'll go a little bright with my shirts, but thats about it.

I wear baseball style caps. I usually match the color of the hat to the color of my outfit and I use brands which I like.

I don't care if they match my outfit.I don't have one.I go for the baseball cap style.I roll the brim.I don't do mesh,plastic backstraps or visors.Other than that I don't really care what logo ,if there is one or what color.

JL: I really like the way camillo matches his hats to his belt. It really changes things up. For example:

villegas.jpg

I have a few hats that match my golf outfits. I have a pink argyle Taylormade hat which is pretty cool looking, that is probably my fav. one :good:

I love it too, Dent.
I was worried last year, though. He was starting to wear some really weird stuff on a new JL line that he helped design.
villegas_storytop.jpg

This week has been an awesome resurgence of the classics.
97140942.jpg

I typically wear a Sox visor. I have various colors to match my outfits. All of course, within the team colors. I hate team hats, shirts, etc that are in colors that aren't the team colors.

I hate team hats, shirts, etc that are in colors that aren't the team colors.

I knew if we waited long enough, soxy would eventually show us her peccadillos!

The Camillo line by JL is a little too grungy for me. It is like severely abstract.

I like hats

I like hats

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the look of the shorter-brimmed hats now (Ryan Moore, Camilo, etc) ....different look to such a common item

Back