Have graphite shafts helped your joint pain?

Yes absolutely. I went a year of not really hitting balls or lifting weights. Switched to graphite last November and now I have no issues hitting balls and I have been lifting almost daily.

Yes. I switched to the Aerotech Steelfiber i95 shafts due to finger arthritis. Much improved. Thanks Desmond.

When I'm hitting a fair number of balls, I can get pain in my left hand and wrist. I can say with 100% certainty that I have no idea if switching helped or not. It didn't get worse. I am playing recoil 110 F5 shafts.

But that likely also depends on the steel and graphite shafts for comparison. Shafts like C-Taper X or Project X 6.5 are good shafts for me in terms of ball launch, spin, etc. But they can zinger me into painville. Shafts like Modus 105 or 120, PX LZ, or KBS Tour, in contrast, feel more like my recoils in terms of impact on my hand and wrist.

Want to add one more thing to this. Stiffness, have played graphite that were too stiff for me that also caused pain, so it can be a combination of things. Softer shaft in steel might could help with pain also.

Graphite in everything but my putter and would not switch back. Hit a steel shafted club sometime back just trying it and wow, I could not believe how it felt compared to the graphite shafts I have been using. IMO graphite is it when it comes to golf shafts.

I’m surprised with the overwhelming positive feedback from everyone. While I expected to hear mostly positive results, I figured I’d also hear from more people that weren't didn’t experience much of a difference.
Thanks everyone for your input. Guess I’ll be going with graphite in my next set of shafts!

Without hesitation, yes. I would not play without graphite shafts.

I played decent competitive hockey and sustained significant injuries during that time. Broken left elbow, many broken bones in both hands, reconstructed left wrist (complete with titanium pins), broken right clavicle, severed tendons, arthritis in both elbows from trauma…

Graphite shafts help soften blows and keep me swinging freely. I am a huge advocate of that technology.

Earlier in this thread I commented about Prosoft inserts in steel shafts. Effective, but graphite being better.

Well since, I had bought another set with Recoil graphite shafts (Smacwrap, supposedly with additional vibration dampening qualities). Through a couple rounds, I wasn't sold on the irons and I was sure that I didn't like the stock grips. So, having just discovered that I still had more Prosoft inserts laying around and having just stripped the grips, I figured... why not?

Installed the Prosoft inserts into the Recoil shafts and I can say that the result has been feel-nirvana. Only the most cataclysmic of mis-hits offers negative vibration. Otherwise, everything feels great while still maintaining a good sense of feel as to contact location and quality.

Incidentally or not, I've since aligned with the irons and they're firmly in the bag (i500).

Yes, they have, since 2007 when I went to graphite.

Yeah, there are some steel shafts that are much better on the body than they have been historically (looking at you TT and your VSS) but for vibration dampening, graphite is and will always be the king.

They have. I switched this year back to steel and have noticed some slight elbow pain flaring up again but nothing to serious. Will go back to graphite if I can find a suitable replacement that is the same as the Modus 120 in profile

Not only have the graphite shafts helped my joint pain but they also have helped my dispersion!
tighter, and more predictable!
Love my recoils!

I broke my left wrist via smiths fracture in 1993. I switched to graphite shafts in all clubs but putter. I needed a lighter club and less reverberation with miss hits. Haven't had a steel shaft since.

They have. I switched this year back to steel and have noticed some slight elbow pain flaring up again but nothing to serious. Will go back to graphite if I can find a suitable replacement that is the same as the Modus 120 in profile
I tried playing steel last year as well - they were already installed in the irons I bought used so figured I'd give them a try. I could really feel it by the time the season ended. Made the swap back over to graphite and have felt much better since.

Back