Have you ditched your long irons?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I have. I am going on 6 years since I even stopped playing a 5-iron. Right now I have a 4 and 5 hybrid, sometimes I have just the 4 in the bag.

Once upon a time I played no irons longer than a 6i. But, I’ve found pure joy in carrying a 5i and 4U now, so I’ve gone back to the dark side.

My irons stop at the 5i, always have. I hit a hybrid way easier and higher than a 4i. Links golf, I'll probably be in trouble but like whatever, it's fine.

I play with a 5i, but rarely use it to be honest. The 5i/5h slot is one where I haven't found a comfortable club, yet. I go back and forth between carrying a hybrid and carrying an iron in that slot

• Staff
I use my 5i somewhat regularly...and I hit my 4i a lot when I had it...still debating about a utility iron, tho.

Still have a 5 iron but I don’t play it a lot. Was toying with the idea of putting a HB Launcher in that slot. I saw Crossfield do this (Had to a a 6 in place of a 5) and he seems to have good results.

No, they're still in my bag. For now...:unsure:

Ditched my 3 iron this year, but my new 4 iron can hit it as far as my old 3i and without the psych out I used to feel with the 3.

I've always played a long iron and/or driving iron with less than 20* of loft. I have bought a lot of hybrids but none of them are as accurate for me so the long iron persists in my bag. Currently, the longest is an Epic Forged 4 iron that has only 18* of loft and is in that 220-yard gap spot in the bag.

I ditched a 3i in the 90s but I still carry 4i and up.

I added a 3h a few years ago to fill a distance gap

Still carry 4-Gw

I have. I am going on 6 years since I even stopped playing a 5-iron. Right now I have a 4 and 5 hybrid, sometimes I have just the 4 in the bag.

Put new longish irons in bag.

I was about 12 years without a 4i/5i but this year bought a Mizuno HMP 4i/5i in graphite and the 5i was fun before the shutdown. The 4i hasn't seen action except on range.

Reasons - faster fundamental swing and Mizuno HMP.

Still carry a 5 iron and sometimes carry a 4 iron. 4 hybrid is in the bag instead of 4 iron at least 80% of the time though.

Did for a few years, and carried a hybrid instead of a 4 iron. It was more so for gapping than not wanting to hit a 4 iron. I have moved back to a 4iron now though. I don't even consider 3i an option haha, so I've never played one of those.

5 iron I remember trying a hybrid for that spot for like 2 rounds before not doing that ever again. I like 5 iron too much.

Thanks for this thread. The big question mark in my new bag right now is how to fill the gap between my 18 degree 5 wood and my 26 degree six iron. I currently have a 22 degree 4 hybrid which gaps nicely with the 5 wood, but until I get some range time, I won't know whether I'll need 0, 1, or 2 clubs to wind up with gaps I can play my best with.

Yes. Just started this year without the 5 and 4 irons, replacing them with a 4h and 3h.

I still carry a 5 iron but I have ditched the 4 iron for a hybrid. I don’t generate enough clubhead speed anymore for a 4 iron.

I had taken my previous set's 4-iron out of the bag in favor of a 4/5-hybrid last year. But the 6-iron of the set in the bag right now, which I have not hit yet, has the same static loft as that 4-iron. I'm curious as to how this is going to play out.

I went the other way. I used to carry a 3 and a 4 hybrid and never found one I could hit consistently enough to have any confidence. On a whim, I pulled out the old mint condition 4i from my current set and found I could hit that far better than I ever hit a hybrid. Consistently long and right down the middle. Right now I can't imagine ever going back to a hybrid.

Back