Have you ditched your long irons?

I use a 3, 4, 5 ,6 & 7 hybrid. I sometimes carry a 6 or 7 iron as well or instead of the corresponding hybrid depending on the course I'm playing.

In my basement I have a variety of 1,2,3 and 4 irons.

In my bag it is 5 iron down and a 4 hybrid, 5 wood and 3 wood.

I recently drank the Kool-Aid and went to a single-length set of irons. The 5i is 23* (basically, a 4i on a 7i shaft), precluding the need for a 4i. Above that is a 22* Cleveland Halo 3h. The experiment's provided mixed results. If I do go back to traditional golf, it'll be Adams Idea-tech 4h and 5h, then Ping G-5 6i-sw.

I use a 3, 4, 5 ,6 & 7 hybrid. I sometimes carry a 6 or 7 iron as well or instead of the corresponding hybrid depending on the course I'm playing.
We call those super-duper game improvement irons.

I’m still hitting a 3 iron and even a Titleist U510 2 utility iron. I much prefer these over hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I played with a friend today who has the same irons as I do (Mavrik Standard). My set stops at 6i, but I've been wanting to try a Mavrik 5i to see if I could hit it any better than 5 irons in the past. He let me hit his today...Hnnnggg. I'll be ordering a Mavrik 5i soon.

I still have irons up to the 4 and a 3h. I don't plan to change that anytime soon. I can rip my 5 iron off the tee and usually with pretty good accuracy. I wouldn't mind having a newer hollow body style 4 and maybe 5 iron though.

I recently drank the Kool-Aid and went to a single-length set of irons. The 5i is 23* (basically, a 4i on a 7i shaft), precluding the need for a 4i. Above that is a 22* Cleveland Halo 3h. The experiment's provided mixed results. If I do go back to traditional golf, it'll be Adams Idea-tech 4h and 5h, then Ping G-5 6i-sw.

When the Cobra F7 came out I switched. The concept made so much sense. When F8 came out I read there was a 5H available. Went to PGASS intending to order the hybrid only. Salesman pointed out several changes between F7 & F8. I ordered F8's with 5H. After several rounds I realized 5H getting slightly more height but I was getting more distance with 6i. I ordered a 5i and after 6-7 rounds sold the 5H. Gave it a the old college try for a year then back to conventional length. On the flip side when I 1st got my F7's a golf buddy did as well and is still playing them and still pleased with them. To each his own.

I have. I am going on 6 years since I even stopped playing a 5-iron. Right now I have a 4 and 5 hybrid, sometimes I have just the 4 in the bag.

I probably should. I have a 4i and 5i now, but the 4i is on the short list to replace.

The longest iron in my "yet-to-see-green-grass" set is stamped with a 4, but I'm expecting it to play like an old 2-iron.
Can't know for sure from here, though.

In my recently retired set, I have a Mizuno Fli Hi 18º driving iron, but I never played it from the fairway. It was a loft overlap with a fairway wood.

Back