Have you ditched your long irons?

I still hit a 4 iron every once and while. I probably do not need it though.

I still hit my long irons. Right now its 4i at the top of the irons at 21 degrees ( T200 ) but I've played 1 irons and 2 irons in path sets. My old X-20 Tours played with a 2i for example. I just got my first hybrid ( 3h @ 19 deg ) to fit the 220-225 range.

I went the other way and added an extra 4 iron hahahaha

I have never not carried a 4i...this year I’ve actually removed a 3i and still contemplating a driving iron or hubo in that 3i spot. But 4i is a must for me

I carry up to a 6 iron but was thinking throwing a 5 iron back into the bag

I right now carr 4-GW. I'm replacing my current 4 iron with a hollow body, but I'm not sure on where the dividing line between utility and iron is now.

Once in that 2-4 iron space I'm looking for some assistance. 2 iron and 3 iron are pretty much all always something of a utility club, 4 iron depends on the irons.

I can't hit a hybrid worth a *$%* so I continue to play long irons. I know my miss and its very consistent.... besides, its easier to his 5i out of the rough than it is hybrid :rolleyes:

Nope. Still love my 4i. I played yesterday with @mtbloco and @oumagic and I realized on hole #8 that I had left my 4i on the #1 tee box. This is uncommon because I rarely leave a club behind but also because I tee off more often with my 4i than I do with my driver (my 3w is just as wild off the tee as my driver and my 3h is a hook machine).

So, I hit driver off of every tee except the par threes to that point (to not too awful of a result, which is rare). But, I was (literally) on the verge of a panic attack when I realized that my 4i was gone. I was so flustered on 8 (when I realized it was gone) that I quit the hole and gave myself the max strokes for my handicap. I actually held it together enough to card a bogey on the par 5 9th but all I could think of was getting to the turn to see if someone turned in my 4i. Thank goodness someone had turned it in. I was so relieved that I felt like it was Christmas. I'm a long iron guy for the long haul, for sure.

Last edited:
Love my 5i, me my hybrid have a love hate relationship. Sometimes I love them & others times I hate them, debating on going back to irons.

Never carried anything past a 7i. Hybrids work for me.

Long iron? That's a stretch. Nothing is really LONG any more. But I just love hitting my Hogan Ft. Worth Black 4i because it is so rewarding when I pure one. But it is only about 185 yard carry even then. I bought a TS3 hybrid (21 degree) for the 200 yard carry shots, and am learning to like it. But sure wish I could still hit the 4i that distance (or more).

I was only carrying a 7 iron and then Hybrids with my CF16. I was planning on trying the Mavrik 5 and 6 irons but with everything shut down, I haven't been able to play enough to decide. I only got 2 sloppy rounds in with the Mavriks since I got them.

I was only 6 iron and up for awhile, but have added the 5 iron back at the end of last year. Just really hit the apex cf 19 5 iron well.

I have never not carried a 4i...this year I’ve actually removed a 3i and still contemplating a driving iron or hubo in that 3i spot. But 4i is a must for me
It's fun if they can be hit well, that's for sure!

I still use a 3i off the tee on shorter tighter par 4's. Just have more confidence in hitting that then a fairway wood or utility club

I start at a 6 and sometimes a 5. I think I carry the 5 to make me feel better.

I carry both 4i/5i, but I'm not sure why. I completely suck with the 4i, and mostly suck with the 5i. I also carry a 4w and a heavenwood. If I can find a hybrid I like at about 22 degrees or so, it's bye bye 4i.

Mine top out at 5i. Used to have 4i but found it was a wasted spot since 4i and 3h we’re both averaging around same distance but I was getting better grouping from the hybrid.

6i is the longest iron in my bag, has been for at least 10 years. I've considered trying the 5 with my new set, but still on the fence about it.

Nope have myself a lot of fun with my 4i!!! You could too if you’d just give in and try it @ddec

only go up to a 5i, which i love and then it's hybrids. I don't think I've ever really gamed any irons longer than a 5 actually.

I started out with 6-PW and 4-5H. I am now toting 4-GW irons. After a demo day though, I am really wanting to make a change to 7-AW of a players distance type iron, 6i GI iron, 4-5U. It is kind of a weird combo set but it worked really well for me.

I have grown to love my 4 Iron. One of the more sure clubs in the bag! Don’t hit the 5 Iron much, since my 6 travels pretty well.

Back