Have you ditched your long irons?

Yes! I carry 3 hybrids and 6-PW. I suck, i'm not going to play on the pro tour, why make the game harder on myself. I do not see myself playing a 4 or 5 iron ever again.

Haven't carried anything below a 5i in my bag in quite some time now.

Longest iron i have is a 6 then a 4/5 hybrids take over.

5 iron is as low as I carry but I have been dreaming of an Epic Forged 4 iron.

Nope, if anything Ive gone back to long irons. I never was a fan of hybrids.

Dropped the 4 iron 3 years ago, and the 5 iron last year. Don't miss them at all.

The middle of my bag goes 4h, 5h, and then 7i. (Sometimes I'll stick a 6h in there).

As I have gotten older, my abilities have changed. I once carried 3i, 4i, 5i. Each was replaced year by year with hybrids. Then I had issues with the hybrids, couldn't hit 'em straight. Went back to 5i from fairway bunkers and rough. Now can hit my 6i as far, so tried new hybrids and they go straight. Only played a few rounds with them, so far, but they seem dependable, at least more so than long irons.

My ironwoods are technically irons, but way more forgiving. I have 4-6 ironwoods and then GI irons 7-GW.

Gone back to a 4 & 5 iron and even added a Ping Rapture driving iron to my bag. Gone are the hybrids for now

I’ve got 3-4-5 that are Fli-hi. Are they irons?

Nope, I love my long irons. My 4i is one of my favourite clubs. I'll would hit that instead of a 3w until I got rid of my 3w and replaced it with a 3H after a fitting earlier this year.

I have a 4 iron and then a 3 hybrid (20deg) I am looking at replacing my clubs this year but am really torn as a lot of the new sets only go up to 5 iron. I really love my 4 iron because it is my 185-190 club and it flies a lot straighter than my hybrid and for me, my strike is a lot more consistent with it. Quite a few of my friends have a lot of hybrids, some down to 6 and 7 but I am a lot more comfortable hitting irons.

Have played 5-W+GW+SW+LW for more than 15 years. Round out the bag with Driver, 4w,7w,9w and putter.

Not completely. I start my sets at 5i (dropped 3i & 4i). I've found that the 5i works better from the rough than today's larger hybrids.

I replaced my Ping G30 hybrid with a Callaway Apex hybrid last year, after having an issue with lots of hooks. The Apex hybrid is smaller and I find I prefer that and it is way easier to hit both ways, sometimes too easy. Maybe that's why I like the irons better ?

I dropped the 5i for good two years ago. They don't tell you when you order irons, but it's cheaper to order single irons from 6-PW or from 6-GW than to order an iron you're not going to use. My 5H and 4H are my favorite clubs next to my wedges.

Long irons for life!

I've even got another 18° 2i I've thought about bending to 16°.

New set of cobra kings are 5-pw. Trying to decide between hybrids and utility irons. Leaning toward utility. Not a big hybrid guy. Bought a new cobra 3 hybrid. Good chance it goes up for sale

I went the other way and added an extra 4 iron hahahaha

Me too. I don’t need all the wedges so at one point I had two 4i’s and a 4h.

4i one went 15 yards further than 4i two and 4i two went about the same as 4h. I’ve always kept the hybrid as it’s my “bad lie and need distance” club as well as my “I need to hit one high and soft”.

I dropped the 5i several years ago for a 5 hybrid. I go 5 then 3 hybrid and don't plan to change that. For me hybrids are so much easier to hit.

22* to 23* is the highest loft hybrid I've enjoyed playing.
I've tried some 25* to 28* loft hybrids but found the shot distance control and shot accuracy too inconsistent.
So, my bag is driver, 16*19*22* hybrids........5-PW irons.

Last edited:
I ditched my 3 & 4 iron years ago. I could never hit them well. Not sure how true it is, but was told that those irons require a pretty good amount of swing speed.
I game a hybrid and that suits my game and swing speed much better.

I have been debating adding a 4h to take out the 4i. We shall see what happens.

The first iron in my bag is a 7. Next up is a 25º fairway wood.

Back