Have you ditched your long irons?

Last year, I carried a 4 iron for most of the year, but it was an unusual club, a Cobra F9 4 iron with a Graphite Design shaft. This year, I am carrying only a 5 iron and it is in and out of the bag, depending on the course.

My main gamer bag starts at the 5i. This bag has 4 metalwoods as longer clubs. (D-7W)

I have another bag (2nd gamer?) that has the 2i, 3i, and 4i in the mix. I play it occassionally just for fun, and memories. It's fun to show up on the first tee with people I don't know with 12 irons, a driver, and a putter.

I have a 4i, 5i and 6i, but have found myself not hitting them as often the last few years and have been trying to figure out the top side of my bag, I think I'll keep the 6i for now, but if I find the right combo at the top I could see a 7i be my longest "iron"

As with others the upper middle part of the bag can be a dilemma. I can hit my 4i quite well. The issue is landing and holding the green. 4H definitely lands softer. Also rotate between 3H and 5W lately have been contemplating a 5H. Not sure about pulling that trigger yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long irons just have middle iron numbers stamped on their soles now.
My set is stamped 4-iron to second gap wedge, but I play it as an old school 2-PW set.

I have recently started switching my 22° hybrid with my 4-iron. I can count on one hand how many times I've flushed my 4-iron in the last month. It's time for it to go.

Nothing above a six. Have added three hybrids: 26, 22 and 17 degree. Better scores are the result!!!

My 5i has been out of the bag for the last four seasons. In its place is an Adams a30os 5i hybrid which I rarely mishit, unlike the iron equivalent. The Adams is complimented with two Adams Pro hybrids in 23 and 20 degree variations.

I would honestly like to put the 5i back in the bag, mostly from an egotistical standpoint, but it will need some work before that happens.

I have re-embraced the long irons.
3U, 4i, 5i

Love them so much now. I took a long iron lesson last year to fix my woes. Better contact. Regained yardage. Consistently better across the board with them now.

3/4 hybrid and a 5i. Now for some reason I have been hitting my 5i so much better and smoother. I also have a 21 degree utility which I have been playing with as well. Need to practice with it more.

I have never been very good or consistent with anything longer than a 6, and even then I'm not the most comfortable with the 6 in hand so always used a 5 hybrid instead. My set of Forged Tecs goes up to a 5i and whilst I have very little confidence in it, I will hopefully be practicing with it a lot when things open up again to give myself come comfort and confidence with it.

I have played 5-PW for as long as I remember but also have played with a 4U the past 2 years and don’t see it leaving the bag for awhile. I still have my Srixon combo (565/765/965) which goes down to 4 iron and when I play them, I use the 4 iron as really easy club to hit in the 565. I do carry a 3 hybrid when conditions dictate.

I still carry a 5 iron, and occasionally will put the 4 iron in the bag. I can't hit a hybrid to save my life, but I can hit my Ping Crossover #4, which is listed as a hybrid, but really is an iron in disguise.

GI long irons aren't any harder to hit than hybrids from what I can tell.

A 1965 Wilson Staff 2-iron demands a pretty accomplished swing,
but a modern GI 4-iron of roughly the same loft and length will launch the ball for most people.

A lot of recreational players play vanity shafts too stiff for them, and with one of those, a hybrid may be a little easier to launch than a long iron.

I only have irons minus driver and 3 wood. My 3 iron is 18* and I love it. I hit it around 230 carry off the tee and it is great for those narrow holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the other way and added an extra 4 iron hahahaha

Same. I have a 4i in my bag that’s atrictky a tee club. It usually goes where pointed and I hit it almost as far as my 3w.

With my swing speed diminishing, I have my bag starting at 5 iron. It just doesn’t make sense to try and hit a 4 iron when I know I can hit a 3 or 4 hybrid much easier depending on the lofts

My 5 hybrid stops better on the green than my 5 iron. Of course if you only hit it 10' high at
it's apex, it's not going to have much stopping power.

I have a 4-i and a 4 hybrid that I used to trade out. But my future plan is to drop the 4 hybrid when I replace the 3-hybrid.

I carry a 4i and 5i. I've found I am better at hitting them straight than hybrids and can shape them more easily. I often play rounds where I only hit them off the tee anyways.

Last year, I dropped the 4 and 5 iron and replaced with 4H and 5H.

Last edited:
I get personally offended on behalf of my long irons every time I see this back at the top of the page.

I know I'll probably have to break up with them some day, but not today. Never today. :'(

Oh, Heavens yes. In the early 2000's I bought a set of Hogan Apex irons, with a 2 that I had to special order. Now that 2 came in very handy off the tee--200 yards down the middle guaranteed. But off the ground? Forget it! The 3 was pretty much useless. I could hit the 4, though. Then I went to a Hogan demo day at my driving range in about 2002 and they had these new things called hybrid irons. I tried a 21* (= 3-iron) hybrid and hit one after the other of the best 3-iron shots I had hit my life but just staying out of the way and letting the club do the work. So I bought a 2, 3, and 4 hybrid, and started using the 2 and 3 right away. I could hit a 4-iron really well, but with the 4-hybrid it was so much easier that the 4i got retired. I'm still up in the air about 5i-5h.

I played a 3H and 4H for many years. Then, got a wild idea to try a 4i 3 years ago. Loved it and sold the 4H. I have more control over the shot with the 4i. I tried a 3i this past fall and loved it. I think I am going to replace my 3H with a Ping 3 crossover to get the best of both worlds.

Back