Have you ever been ready to leave the game

I quit the game many years ago for a variety of reasons. First, was not enough time. I needed to play at least 3 times a week to keep my game in shape. My job made it difficult to play with any frequency at all. Even when I had the time, the courses were so crowded 4 hours rounds were not even possible. Second, was cost. The price of green fees was high enough to keep me from playing. Third was I’d lost my playing partner. Fourth, because I wasn’t playing or practicing enough, I wasn’t playing as well as I should have. I wasn’t having any fun playing poorly. Now that I’m playing again, I’m retired and have all the time I need. I can afford to play now and play weekdays when there isn’t as much traffic. I’ve got a new playing partner and, I don’t really care what I shoot so I don’t get frustrated when my scores aren’t great.

The only time I ever walked off the course was when I was playing alone, and just had enough bad shots. I have given up the game a couple of times for 2-3 years. Eventually got talked into coming back and playing. Now that I am older and wiser, I realize that I will never be a good player, so I don't put pressure on myself to excel. It's just a game, and good exercise. And they give handicaps for a reason.

I've had some super crappy rounds and being ultra competitive I've muttered to myself why even bother. But then I talk to myself and remind me different stats that the Pros have with putting, fairways hit, etc. Then I club down and not swing as hard and just focus on making good contact. The rounds suck but I've seen enough in this world to not want to give up something I enjoy doing, even when Im not necessarily enjoying that round.

Been there my friend, starting end of last year to middle of this year. Game was completely un-usable, friend's that have played with me for years were shocked with what they saw. I ponied up the cash to get a lesson and sorted a lot of my issues. I also bought a hitting mat/net to practice what I learned at the lesson, like almost every day for an hr for months. I never wanted to per-say quit the game, more so I was just frustrated that my game was so bad.

3. Get better (lessons, practice, etc.) so you can play to your expectations.
And what does one do when he been through the many lessons and tons of practicing and efforts and time and money required to seek improvement and done so a whole lot and yet sees no improvement?
Just sayin not everyone gets better. I know that all too well. It can get truly disheartening when you make all the right efforts (exhausted all the excuses) and still dont see the results. Even lowering or being extremely forgiving with expectations and still dont see them happen?
You just have to accept what you are golf wise vs so many others who dont place even half of that amount into it and can play better. You just have to accept your not one the luckier ones who was able to improve much. Its either that or you are miserable.
Ive walked off after 9 many times. Not a whole lot but often enough. Whats the sense if your not having fun. Most the times I can and do still enjoy being out there in bad rounds but sometimes (Iam human) it gets to me and gets really disheartening after all I go/been through for so long and so I sometimes leave.

Last year I had several front nines that made me want to stop at the turn. I sucked it up and in 9 out of 10 times my back nine was much better. It was just a slow start.

And what does one do when he been through the many lessons and tons of practicing and efforts and time and money required to seek improvement and done so a whole lot and yet sees no improvement?

I'm right there with you @rollin, so I think the other two options can apply to those of us who cannot improve. I personally like lowering expectations and accepting the level at which I play... easier said than done. The worst thing for my enjoyment of the game is believing I have a snowball's chance in hell of putting together 18 holes of good golf. Yet, I still have fun getting out there.

I'm right there with you @rollin, so I think the other two options can apply to those of us who cannot improve. I personally like lowering expectations and accepting the level at which I play... easier said than done. The worst thing for my enjoyment of the game is believing I have a snowball's chance in hell of putting together 18 holes of good golf. Yet, I still have fun getting out there.
I also think that sometimes people just need a break from golf, I played 40ish rounds every year for the past 5+ yrs and then hit this recent "wall". It gave me my weekends and weeknights back, I went boating/spent time with family and friends/worked on my new house. There's nothing wrong with scaling back for a season and re-prioritizing things.

I've never quit during a round although last weekend was very tempting. I did quit for almost a full season several years ago. I got so frustrated I gave it up, bought a boat and spent the summer boating and fishing. Turns out I suck at fishing too and ended up selling the boat the next year and picked golf back up. This year has been almost as frustrating as the year I quit though.

Nooo way! When I feel like giving up, I just end up practicing more to try and dig out of whatever hole I’ve fallen into.

Never quit mid round, but did give up
Golf for a few years after college. More of being burnt out of the game for trying to remain in the team after walking on.

I quit golf for a year after having a bad round at sectionals my senior year of high school. I was 5 over on the last 3 holes to miss going to the state tournament by two strokes.

I had a forced lay off from golf for 5+ months each year growing up in WI/MN and I think the layoff makes me more excited to play in the summer. I'm not sure if I could stay interested in playing 10-15 rounds a month for 12 months straight but I'll find out when my youngest is off to college in three years.

I have definitely felt lost on the golf course before, but I am not sure it's ever been enough to flat out leave the game. Take some time off, sure - but I could never leave it entirely.

Totally understand where some of you guys are coming from though - it is about as humbling as it gets.

I'm not ready to leave the game at all, but I will admit its tougher than I thought to adapt to getting worse and worse.
I'm playing less and I never practice due to being so busy with work and family.

I don't think I would ever actually quit the game, but the thought runs through my mind each time I'm having one of those rounds where you forget how to swing a club. Extremely frustrating and humbling. I've had a few like that recently and what seemed to work was playing a fun 9-hole round with vintage clubs and no expectations. Ended up shooting better than I have in weeks LOL.

Back