Have you ever been surprised at a fitting?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Have you ever gone into a fitting sure you were going to be fit into one product only for what suits you best to be completely different?

My last fitting, I went in looking for iron shafts, not really sure what suited me best. Even though I don't have the stated swing speed for it, I was fit into stiff flex shafts. This completely blew me away and was something I really didn't expect!

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is putting me in ProjectX 6.5's lately. I beg to differ. (My old bones can't take it.)

1643073436322.png

When I did my iron fitting in December I went back to Recoils from steel, but stayed in stiff. Thought he would have put me in Reg flex, but the dispersion proved me wrong.

It does that to me too. I might test some 6.0s but the 6.5 is beastly.

It's not that the app is wrong, because I had 6.0's in my prior set of Apex MB's and they are great. Really nice fit. Just heavier. But I'm over 40 and play 110g now TYVM.

Driver fitting 2020: i was surprised to find the TSi3 was my second best driver for carry and spin as I had previously only hit TM and Callaways.

A couple ball fittings shocked me.

There were a few heads during our range days videos that blew me away - well documented.

I'm looking forward to seeing which one does that this year!

I haven’t been too surprised yet but kind of hope to be at my next fitting. Best surprise would be “we can’t beat your current driver. All your random tinkering has paid off!” 😂

My last fitting, was mostly a full bag. Had my mind made up that I would not get TM irons again (had the RSi1s and M2s with face slots, both caved). Was planning to get Mizuno something game improvement. Left with TM M6!!! Also really thought I would get another forgiving Ping driver. Left with a Callaway Rogue Sub Zero. Had never used or owned a Callaway wood before.

A couple ball fittings shocked me.

There were a few heads during our range days videos that blew me away - well documented.

I'm looking forward to seeing which one does that this year!
The CBX wedges were certainly in that camp

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is putting me in ProjectX 6.5's lately. I beg to differ. (My old bones can't take it.)

View attachment 9062660

The Shaft optimizer put me in heavy shafts as well. My SS is much lower than yours and it wasn’t X flex. At my fitting the fitter kept putting me in 95g shafts and I asked to hit a couple from the fitting and the Modus 120 wound up being a good fit and I didn’t lose any swingspeed. He did softstep them though.

The PX LZ 5.0 was a surprising option but I didn’t hit it that well.

0BD86937-31D0-4EF8-95F1-3D2090D5D1C7.jpeg

I was surprised I had the beat dispersion with Epic Speed fairway last year in a fitting, would have thought something with more forgiveness would have been the ticket

yes - was quite surprised last year when I went to get fitted for a new driver - hopefully a Ping 425 and a 410 SFT cuz I have always been a Ping guy. so we tried out a few others and the Ping was doing quite well on the monitor -- then I unsheathed my old K15 Driver to see the difference - and there was none. K15 still the King.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, in my bag previously I had Srixon Z545 irons with Modus Tour130 in regular flex, but I then spent a lot of time working on my swing

Fast forward to my last fitting and I was thinking maybe something like the Z785 irons would be the best option, and no way was I even thinking about the Z-Forged, but after going through various head and shaft combos, my instructor gave me the Z-Forged and after the first hit I knew it was going in my bag - multiple shots later and the numbers were just ideal, especially distance dispersion, so I ended up with those from PW to 7i and stayed with the Z785 in the 6i to 4i for a little extra forgiveness

The other surprise was going from the Tour130 regular flex to Tour105 in extra stiff - I knew my swing had improved, but that was a much bigger change than I could have expected

Only in that sometimes the numbers/data doesn't really matter. I had a Club Champion putter fitting last year, and the SAM PuttLab recommended a blade or mallet with moderate toe-hang (30* to 45*). My gamer at the time was a Cleveland HB SOFT Premier 10.5, a face-balanced mallet. Well we gave just about every moderate toe-hang putter they had a go, and nothing outperformed my gamer. We then tried several other face-balanced mallets, and found some that did work as well as my Cleveland. The fitter adjusted the loft and lie a bit, and said he didn't see anything else he could do for me, and by the way, no charge.

So although the data says my swing path, etc. should have me in one kind of putter, actual results say something else.

Last edited:
Not quite the same but turned up at a lesson on the GCQuad with a Mavrik Sub Zero with a Tensei Pro TX Shaft.... Pro said it was a great match for me but would never have fit it. So the opposite - A surprise for the fitter!

A

I would say putting me in light 50G TGI graphite iron shafts surprised me especially at my SS. The thing is they work and feel perfect for me. I only use 60-65 with my longer clubs. When I grab heavier shafts it feels like 2x4s with no club head feel.

I felt cool when my fitter told me I needed stiff shafts, I thought I was a regular guy, but overall I can't say anything shocked me in my fitting.

View attachment 9062660
This looks just like my read out for the optimizer every time except usually Ctaper is on there too :oops:

Like you, my body says no way in hell. But, the LZ’s are pretty awesome.

My putter fitting shocked every single part of my brain.

Beyond that, recently it’s been being fit to lower lofts, I was a guy who my first 8-9 years here played 11 and up drivers, then apparently a worldwide pandemic caused me to be able to hit driver high.

My putter fitting shocked every single part of my brain.

Can you explain that further by chance? I've read a few fittings on the forum since I'm getting ready for my putter fitting but I don't recall reading yours.

I’ve heard a lot of people say the Swing DNA fits them either too heavy, too stiff or both and my results edge a bit heavy and stiff too. But I never hit the shaft in the Mizuno head selected in the DNA setup to confirm, either.

Back