Have you ever been surprised at a fitting?

Can you explain that further by chance? I've read a few fittings on the forum since I'm getting ready for my putter fitting but I don't recall reading yours.
There’s a full article on the homepage about my fitting with Club Champion from early last year, but there will also. E an article go up next week on my recent Edel fitting! Trying to save all the good bits until I can finish that piece. :LOL:

I’ve heard a lot of people say the Swing DNA fits them either too heavy, too stiff or both and my results edge a bit heavy and stiff too. But I never hit the shaft in the Mizuno head selected in the DNA setup to confirm, either.
The optimizer is pretty incredible.

Because I was told once a long time ago by a club pro during lessons, I had always played with stiff shafts and 2 degrees upright since I am over 6 ft tall and my swing speed.

But, the first time I ever got fitted for irons 2 years ago, the fitter said I needed regular flex shafts and the heads should be 2 degrees flat. That was a huge change and made a big difference in ball contact and performance.

I think my 3 biggest surprises at fittings were these:

A) Titleist 917 D2 fitting I was fit into a 70 gram X flex shaft. At the time, my shape was right to left, with the miss being left. My fitter and I tried 6-7 different shafts and the final setup that was the most consistent was a 917 D2 head, heaviest weight they offered with the cartridge toe-side, open face 8.5° head playing open at 7.75°, and a Diamana White 70x shaft. It gave me a really straight ball with a slight draw. The fitter reminded me that when I play it, don't think about it and just swing, and the results will be there. He was right.

B) Another Titleist fitting(different fitter). Was going SM8 Wedges, and I was catching everything slightly low. He told me to test a theory, handed me a 7 iron, and had me take some swings. Then we did the same with another 7 iron(which was 1/2" longer). The contact on the 2nd club was significantly better. So we ended up doing my wedges 1/2" long. We saw a much better gap in terms of yardage and spin from one to the other.

C) Grandaddy Fitting at ECPC during my irons fitting. Was really focused on Apex CF16 irons. It's what I wanted and where I believed I should be. My iron swing was ON that day. During it, my fitter(Matt) handed me a setup and I was trying to consciously not pay attention, just swing. I hit 5-6 balls that were as identical as 10 handicappers could probably achieve. It was the Apex Pro irons. In the end, I chickened out and figured it was just a day that my swing was good. Part of me always wondered if I should have gone that way, but I played those CF16 irons really well so there wasn't any serious remorse.

I think my 3 biggest surprises at fittings were these:

A) Titleist 917 D2 fitting I was fit into a 70 gram X flex shaft. At the time, my shape was right to left, with the miss being left. My fitter and I tried 6-7 different shafts and the final setup that was the most consistent was a 917 D2 head, heaviest weight they offered with the cartridge toe-side, open face 8.5° head playing open at 7.75°, and a Diamana White 70x shaft. It gave me a really straight ball with a slight draw. The fitter reminded me that when I play it, don't think about it and just swing, and the results will be there. He was right.

B) Another Titleist fitting(different fitter). Was going SM8 Wedges, and I was catching everything slightly low. He told me to test a theory, handed me a 7 iron, and had me take some swings. Then we did the same with another 7 iron(which was 1/2" longer). The contact on the 2nd club was significantly better. So we ended up doing my wedges 1/2" long. We saw a much better gap in terms of yardage and spin from one to the other.

C) Grandaddy Fitting at ECPC during my irons fitting. Was really focused on Apex CF16 irons. It's what I wanted and where I believed I should be. My iron swing was ON that day. During it, my fitter(Matt) handed me a setup and I was trying to consciously not pay attention, just swing. I hit 5-6 balls that were as identical as 10 handicappers could probably achieve. It was the Apex Pro irons. In the end, I chickened out and figured it was just a day that my swing was good. Part of me always wondered if I should have gone that way, but I played those CF16 irons really well so there wasn't any serious remorse.
I'm still pissed you chickened out.

I was surprised when I was fit into x stiff shafts because I’m a tiny human being. I am also surprised that I’m now carrying a 4 iron and UW and no hybrids. I assumed I’d have a hybrid or something in the 4 iron spot, but just didn’t find anything that fit.

I was surprised when I was fit into x stiff shafts because I’m a tiny human being. I am also surprised that I’m now carrying a 4 iron and UW and no hybrids. I assumed I’d have a hybrid or something in the 4 iron spot, but just didn’t find anything that fit.
You mean you're a tiny beast, sir. ;)

Because I was told once a long time ago by a club pro during lessons, I had always played with stiff shafts and 2 degrees upright since I am over 6 ft tall and my swing speed.

the first time I ever got fitted for irons 2 years ago, the fitter said I needed regular flex shafts and the heads should be 2 degrees flat. That was a huge change and made a big difference in ball contact and performance.
My story is similar. In 2012, I was "fitted" at a local golf shop where I was then living. That "fitting" consisted of hitting a few balls, taking a few swings on the lie board, and the store owner taking some measurements. It was over in 10 minutes, if that. He never said what spin, distance, trajectory, etc were, only that I could go with stiff or X-stiff DG shafts. The result was a 1 1/2 inches long and 3.5 upright. I didn't really know how upright or flat worked and figured the length was right because I'm 6'4".

A few years later, at an iron fitting, I was fit at+1" long in 4i-8i and +1 1/4" in 9i-58, with standard lie 5i-9i then 1 degree flat PW-58. How badly the lie was off explains why I had trouble keeping my draw on the map. The flatter lies helped immeasurably.

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is putting me in ProjectX 6.5's lately. I beg to differ. (My old bones can't take it.)

I've always wanted to try the shaft optimizer just out of curiosity. I have definitely seen it over-recommend shafts that I am surprised people were fit to. I've seen really non-aggressive swingers around the same speed fit into X7s and that had me scratching my head.

I was surprised yesterday that I was fit into a 70g class driver shaft. I don’t think anyone would call me strong. I had the best clubhead speed with that setup. Thinking about building up a shaft similair to test in my gamer for a bit.

Every fitting I've ever been to, something surprises the hell out of me. Last time it was that I ended up in 130g low launch shafts and a 9* driver after thinking I was somebody who needed launch help 🤯

Back