Have you ever broken a window or hit a car, house etc. What did you do?

Loving all of the stories so far.

On the course where we learned to play there was a pretty busy highway running right beside the 1st fairway. My brother could crush the ball, but was a slice machine at the time. One day he smoked a tee shot that started turning early and was heading right towards the road. Not an unusual occurrence at all. Most of the time he would actually land on the other side of the road and this drive looked like it would do the same, but I guess the wind held it up just enough. I car was traveling the same direction as the fairway and his ball struck the trunk of the car. This car was probably doing about 50 - 60 and it had to sound like bomb going off when the ball hit the car, but the guy (or girl) never even hit the brakes. There was no way to offer to pay for the damage since there person didn't stop. Another time his tee shot landed (at least we think it did) in the bed of a passing pick up truck. On that same hole there were several rear windows busted, but I was never on course when it happened.

I've hit my share of roofs but luckily have never hit any windows. My wife's car got hit once driving by a golf course. Missed the guy just barely on the motorcycle next to her and rattled around in her wheel well. I have also skimmed one off an Audi parked behind the green. Nice bladed lob wedge from 50 out went screaming waist high and right off the drivers door. After looking at the car I couldn't tell where my ball had hit because there were so many dings in the side. Also the first time out playing in a golf outing (shortly after I started playing) I hit a beautiful PW up over a tree, boy this thing was pin seeking.... problem is it flew right over the pin and hit the guy in the knee sitting in his cart at the next tee box behind the green. I felt so bad, luckily the guy was extremely nice and it costs me a few beers to numb the pain.

I've hit my share of roofs but luckily have never hit any windows. My wife's car got hit once driving by a golf course. Missed the guy just barely on the motorcycle next to her and rattled around in her wheel well. I have also skimmed one off an Audi parked behind the green. Nice bladed lob wedge from 50 out went screaming waist high and right off the drivers door. After looking at the car I couldn't tell where my ball had hit because there were so many dings in the side. Also the first time out playing in a golf outing (shortly after I started playing) I hit a beautiful PW up over a tree, boy this thing was pin seeking.... problem is it flew right over the pin and hit the guy in the knee sitting in his cart at the next tee box behind the green. I felt so bad, luckily the guy was extremely nice and it costs me a few beers to numb the pain.
Glad no one was hurt, well seriously hurt, in one of those. I'm sure a ball to the knee doesn't feel good though. One of our members was playing behind us on our 18th hole. It doglegs left and goes down hill to a creek then back up to the green. He hit a bad tee shot and didn't get all the way to the corner. The guys he was playing with said we were still on the green but to go ahead and hit because they though he was just laying up to the bottom. He instead hits an amazing 3w with a hard draw. He typically hits a fade. I hear it and we look back to see if heading at us. It almost nails one of the other guys. Luckily we all know each other so we gave him some grief and made him buy a few pitchers of beer.

Glad no one was hurt, well seriously hurt, in one of those. I'm sure a ball to the knee doesn't feel good though. One of our members was playing behind us on our 18th hole. It doglegs left and goes down hill to a creek then back up to the green. He hit a bad tee shot and didn't get all the way to the corner. The guys he was playing with said we were still on the green but to go ahead and hit because they though he was just laying up to the bottom. He instead hits an amazing 3w with a hard draw. He typically hits a fade. I hear it and we look back to see if heading at us. It almost nails one of the other guys. Luckily we all know each other so we gave him some grief and made him buy a few pitchers of beer.

I was so new to golf I really didn't know distances and all I can remember is flushing this shot. The best looking shot I had hit to date and I remember the fear I had when I saw it flying over the green. It still causes me anxiety when there's a tee box close behind a green and this was 20 years ago.

I am unfortunate to say I have hit both a house and a vehicle. Neither were damaged thankfully. I felt so bad on one drive as the homeowner was out on his deck as I pulled up to the drive. He was nice about it saying his house was hit all the time.

Definitely have to look at the risk/reward of living on a golf course. The risk you run of having broken windows or in the case of the OP's friend broken tiles, but if you fence your yard you may find yourself not having to buy golf balls every year. Word of advice, build or buy next to a country club. Usually golfers are decent so balls don't get that off line, but when they do, the balls are always Titleist. Haven't bought a box of Titleist since moving in ;)

I was so new to golf I really didn't know distances and all I can remember is flushing this shot. The best looking shot I had hit to date and I remember the fear I had when I saw it flying over the green. It still causes me anxiety when there's a tee box close behind a green and this was 20 years ago.
I can definitely understand that. My dad is worried about houses now after breaking the window. I don't mind a ball coming close provided they yell fore if I know its just an errant shot. Now if you don't wait off the tee or start hitting to the green while I'm still walking off or getting in the cart then that's another story. I think the hitting into the green, especially if the cart part is to the right, is my biggest pet peeve. You can't wait 10-15 seconds for me to leave?:mad:

Not that I’m aware of.

Definitely have to look at the risk/reward of living on a golf course. The risk you run of having broken windows or in the case of the OP's friend broken tiles, but if you fence your yard you may find yourself not having to buy golf balls every year. Word of advice, build or buy next to a country club. Usually golfers are decent so balls don't get that off line, but when they do, the balls are always Titleist. Haven't bought a box of Titleist since moving in ;)
Yeah I've said we need to collect some money for him. He's one of the nicest guys at the club and does a ton. Not too mention he keeps a commercial reach in cooler on his back porch stocked with beer and a collection box.:ROFLMAO: One of the guys takes care of it when he is gone and said he has to be losing money.

I feel compelled through to guilt to admit that I have also hit 2 house roofs while playing (holes #6 and #13 on my home course). Nobody came out. There was no damage to the houses. I was horrified and to this day feel the embarrassment every time I tee off on those two holes. In my defense, I have seen many, many more houses hit on the local course. Living there is like living in a golf ball war zone. I couldn't do it.

I feel compelled through to guilt to admit that I have also hit 2 house roofs while playing (holes #6 and #13 on my home course). Nobody came out. There was no damage to the houses. I was horrified and to this day feel the embarrassment every time I tee off on those two holes. In my defense, I have seen many, many more houses hit on the local course. Living there is like living in a golf ball war zone. I couldn't do it.
I work in insurance and we have a customer that was upset the adjuster said there was no hail damage in his roof. He had 2 roofers tell him there was. He hired a public adjuster to meet ours out there again. The adjuster still said no. The damage was all on 2 sides and the same size. Turns out he lives on a golf course.

Had a guy in my four-some seriously bang one of one of those gold-tinted windows in the building alongside the Dubai Creek golf club. Complete toe-rocket sideways 30y off the glass. Didn't break, but no doubt caught some serious attention from inside the building. Couldn't see through the tint though...

Also dropped a 70y wedge right on top of my wife's head while we were out practicing one day. It bounced off her head a few feet high and landed behind her. Didn't even phase her. I knew she was hard-headed, but damn......

Nope, not that I know of.

Been very close, sliced one across the road that seems from my angle flew by a car's windshield missing by a few feet. To this day that hole bothers me.

I haven’t but had my share of butt-pucker moments with both house and moving vehicles.

Closest I came, I thought for sure I was going to nail one and just cringed waiting to hear the damage. Was actually my first round with THP’ers @Buckeyeduffer and @Grins and my first time on that course. Think it was hole 13 on the back there was a row of houses 20 yards behind the tee box lining the left side. There was a small row of pine trees that ended well before where my ball was heading.

Any shot other than a snap hook and I snap hooked it. Happy joy joy. As I’m waiting to hear either a thud or glass breaking I hear nothing. Get up to where my ball was and the course was smart enough to have installed a net past the pine trees that you couldn’t see from the tee. PTL.

Gotten close to hitting windows and moving cars more times than I'd like to admit...even got close at the Hideaway. :eek:

I've never broken anything, but have bounced off a roof or two in my time. Play at least once a year in Spain, and a lot of the resort courses have villas and apartments very tightly along the holes. As a frequent slicer of the ball, this puts a little added pressure onto at least 9 holes in the round and there have been a couple of mishaps. Luckily nothing broken. Yet...

Never done it myself, but I have seen/heard a few stories

A guy I used to work with had his car hit by a stray ball whilst driving past a course
One of the funniest ones I have seen was a playing partner managed to put his ball on the patio area outside the bar of the 18th hole at The Belfry on the PGA Course - he thinned his approach that went through the green, across the pathway and bounced up to the doorway

Most recent one I saw was at my home course where we were stood on the 9th tee (blue box) and someone sliced their ball off the 18th tee (bottom right) and hit the farm building behind us - made a fair old noise considering it was a metal shed - not sure how they managed to find a gap between the trees to be honest as they are fairly tall

18th slice.png

When you do something like that, you immediately point to your playing partner and yell, “nice shot, doofus!”

I did have an incident where I was too terrified to do the right thing and fess up to it. I had brand new irons and no time to go hit them so was in the back yard launching some 9 irons over my detached boat garage out into the woods. I bellied one. Went right though the siding and wall board and could hear it bouncing around inside. Never reported the incident to the co-owner (wife). I had some spare vinyl siding and there's now a shelf strategically located to hide a perfect 1.68 repaired hole.

I did have an incident where I was too terrified to do the right thing and fess up to it. I had brand new irons and no time to go hit them so was in the back yard launching some 9 irons over my detached boat garage out into the woods. I bellied one. Went right though the siding and wall board and could hear it bouncing around inside. Never reported the incident to the co-owner (wife). I had some spare vinyl siding and there's now a shelf strategically located to hide a perfect 1.68 repaired hole.
1580318651937.png

Hole #6 of our muni 9 hole course runs right along the main drag through town. So if you have a slice like I do, then you have hit some balls over the fence onto North Ave & thankfully I have not hit any cars, people or businesses. I have watched my ball bounce down the road & a car hit it.

1580321402658.png

Broke one of my shop door windows hitting into my net and had to replace it. Not sure how the ball got through there but it did. Just went to Lowes and cut some plexiglass.

I just a couple weeks ago got my first net for the back yard. I obviously had it set up just a little too far from my mat. One of the first shots I hit with my wedge, cleared the net, and landed in the street. Bounced very high, hit the roof of a truck sitting in a driveway, and made it into a garage. No damage done. I went to apologize to the homeowner, he was very nice about it. Got the ball back too. Man, I hit that shot so nice......Lol!

Back