Have you ever broken a window or hit a car, house etc. What did you do?

Happily I have not damaged anyone or anything. However, my introduction to golf as a boy was a golf ball into the windshield directly in front of me.

I can see him being freaked out. I probably would have been, too. But it is the nature of hitting a golf ball that occasionally you're going to misfire. Just like I knew I was rolling the dice by hitting from where I was: Anybody with a house adjacent to a golf course has to know errant balls will come their way. (Personally, despite the obvious attractions, I would not live there. Not so much out of concern for property damage, but by personal damage.)
Yeah, I mean if you bought a house on a golf course (especially lining the fairways, and especially within reach of tee shots), I think there's an inherent expectation that you're gonna take some hits. It was just a matter of really bad timing that he and I happened to be where we were right at that moment! I'm just glad he had the grill lid raised, otherwise he might have taken that golf ball right in his chest. A lot of the homes on that course have big high nets around their backyards to keep people from strafing their houses.

I don't remember what course it was (probably MBN Southcreek) when one of our group hit a red ball into a backyard. Guy was out in his garden and retrieved the ball. As she approached him he asked her if she always used red balls. Then he went into his back porch and handed her a handful of red balls. Says he has retrieved them from his yard and he only plays white. He says he finds so many balls in his yard and garden he hasn't bought a ball in years. Nice guy.

I don't remember what course it was (probably MBN Southcreek) when one of our group hit a red ball into a backyard. Guy was out in his garden and retrieved the ball. As she approached him he asked her if she always used red balls. Then he went into his back porch and handed her a handful of red balls. Says he has retrieved them from his yard and he only plays white. He says he finds so many balls in his yard and garden he hasn't bought a ball in years. Nice guy.
A guy who lives right behind the 9th green on my home course has a basket of balls sitting on his patio table in the backyard next to the pool, clearly visible from the course. I don't know if he does it to show people how many balls have been hit into his yard or if there's no intent at all and he just happens to leave it there to throw balls into, but all I can think of is that it's almost an invitation for some dbag to climb his fence and claim the prize.

The snowbirds have arrived here for the winter and they're notorious ball hawks - they hoover up every loose ball they find on the course, dig in the ponds with their ball retrievers - they'll even snatch up your ball in play if they run across it and you're not there to stop them. They're like locusts, they pick the course bare - they even steal range balls to play out on the course. Most of them are too old for fence climbing, but I could absolutely picture one of them trying to use a ball retriever to snag those balls off his patio table!

Okitillo golf course in phx metro or something like that. Not sure if it was me or a parnter but one of us sliced a ball totally over a lake on top of a house with a spanish tile roof. After a huge bang, you can slowly hear the ball building steam as it picked up speed rolling down the roof. owner came out. That house was totally not in play with lake for protection but to this day I dislike any course with homes in play

I have hit a car in a hop and didn’t do any damage.

The best car story I have been a part of was after a tournament back home we went out for extra holes and the 9th hole as the parking lot on the left. My buddy parked his car on the corner that was exposed and told our group not to hit his car! 3 hit, no issues and he reiterates again to the last guy and of course he hits asmothered hook and we hear a loud pop. We get up to the car and there are dimples in his rear quarter panel! :ROFLMAO:

I broke a window at my house hitting pitch shots when I was about 12 years old. My debt was paid after after my dad extracted about 30 hours of hard labor from me mostly from cutting wood and splitting it with an 8 pound maul. We used to burn about 10-12 cords of oak every year to heat our house when I was growing up, lol.

I have definitely hit my share of houses, but have yet to break anything. I have also hit several into the road where there was traffic. I would be surprised if I have never struck a car, but there is a chance. I guess if I damaged something knowingly or someone accused me and it was possible I had done it I would just pay for it or file an insurance claim.

I also live on the course. So far I was right about our house in that it was very unlikely to get hit hard from a golf ball. I do find several in my yard throughout the year though.

That's actually how I got started in the game. Some of my Uncles talked my Dad into taking up the game kind of late in life. Next thing you know there are old clubs and balls accumulating in the garage, including some old hickory shafted jobs. Sure wish I'd have saved those. Of course I cut a hole in the back yard and started chipping to it. Finally, I began to wonder what would happen if I took a full swing at a ball. What happened was that I rifled a crisp mid-mashie through Mr. Ross' garage window!

I confessed, and my Dad took me over there for my penance. I had to do some work for Mr. Ross. He also was a golfer, and he and my Dad would play on occasion. While I was sweeping he leaned toward my Dad and said, "It seems like the boy wants to play!"

Thank God for that broken window!

Last edited:
I’ve probably have hit a car & house in my day. Don’t remember what I did though. 😂

This is number 11 at Fossil Creek in Fort Worth. Many years ago I tried to take this path and cut the corner with no success. I smacked one of those spinning roof vents, was so loud it sounded like a gun shot. A big dude came out of the house quick to see what was going on but we took off down into the fairway. So one of these houses might have a ball in the attic.

5EC18B93-5045-4970-953C-D0EADEAD8AA6.png

A private course that I play has the entry/exit road that runs parallel to the driving range. On the way out a youngster sliced his driver right into my tailgate of my Chevy Equinox and put a golf ball sized dent into the back. Went back and he fessed up to hitting the ball, nice kid, so I let him off.

Several years ago on a really tight course I hit a hard German ball, Hukenfuker, into the side of a stucco house. Took a chunk the size of a large pizza pan out of that rascal. As we drove up, the home owner had my golf ball and asked who was paying for the repairs. I thanked him for returning my ball and suggested he call his insurance agent. This set the old boy off pretty good. I explained that buying a house on a golf course that he assumed liability and this was a case of buyer beware. Not sure if I was right or wrong, but it sounded good and official. Again I poured gas on the fire and he absolutely lost his religion. He informed me that he had the house built and players are responsible for damages when damage is done. I said agree to disagree and asked who was the brain surgeon that ok'ed stucco on a golf course. As he tried to muster an intelligent reply, I dropped my newly retrieved ball, knocked it stiff and still made par.

My only episode was like 30 years ago when I used to lash at ball so hard it went out probably 175 yds straight then make a sharp right turn then go another 100 yards....big time slice. Was playing a course while attending an offsite week long meeting when I hit my typical fade 😜 but lining the fairway all down the right hand side was a 2 lane highway. Ball hit an 18 wheel trailer and it was loud. Probably scared the sh*t out of the driver but he kept moving.

I want to comment and laugh about some of you being dangerous/destructive, but I feel like if I do I'll jinx myself into losing one off the tee and taking out a car, or window, or pedestrian or something. So, this is me not commenting. Universe please take notice.

Sidenote - I got hit in the arm once while driving by a golf course. True story.

I’ve been hit twice at exactly the same latitude. On that one there was no physical pain, but it broke a new I phone.

The other hit me in the freaking testicle and I was still lying on the ground trying not to cry when the kid (the next fairway over) walked to his ball 300 yards from the tee and said “sorry”.

Sorry? How’s sbout “FORE!!!!” ya little shat??

I hear FORE!!! and I protect head and testicles as best I can. Or will cover the kids with my body and deal with.

Whew. Went back and found my prior comment a year ago and hadn’t left anything incriminating on it.

I’m smarter than I give myself credit for.

I’ve been hit twice at exactly the same latitude. On that one there was no physical pain, but it broke a new I phone.

The other hit me in the freaking testicle and I was still lying on the ground trying not to cry when the kid (the next fairway over) walked to his ball 300 yards from the tee and said “sorry”.

Sorry? How’s sbout “FORE!!!!” ya little shat??

I hear FORE!!! and I protect head and testicles as best I can. Or will cover the kids with my body and deal with.
haha I hit into a guy a few days ago, and by the time I realized it was happening there's no way he would have heard FORE and done anything but turn his face and balls back towards the incoming drive. I had talked to them at the turn, and could just feel it, so I chose not to yell. In the video I raise my hand to motion and yell, and think 'this guy is just gonna turn around and take in the face', and just end up standing there with my hand in the air like a dumba** until it goes past him on the left.

I hit a car tire of a car that was parked in a non-parking area of a course. Of course I had a case of the hooks this day from a bad lie with no angle to the green and should of just layed up instead of hitting a 7 iron that I know was going to hook and head towards the line of cars that were illegally parked. I had now real chance at the green. Luckily after bouncing off the tire it landed 10 feet from the green pin high. Took my bogey and ran.

haha I hit into a guy a few days ago, and by the time I realized it was happening there's no way he would have heard FORE and done anything but turn his face and balls back towards the incoming drive. I had talked to them at the turn, and could just feel it, so I chose not to yell. In the video I raise my hand to motion and yell, and think 'this guy is just gonna turn around and take in the face', and just end up standing there with my hand in the air like a dumba** until it goes past him on the left.

I’ve been there. I’m deep into a research project but last true family vacation prior to the divorce. We went from NC OH to FL. I drove. It was 18 hours+ of hell as the last 3-4 hours we never moved. Could have walked there 6 times before we made it.

Anyways, our line of traffic hadn’t moved in hours. The other side of the road was occasionally occupied by a car going about 45, I think that was the limit there. Some DUDE comes jogging up along side the road in his shorts, carrying his wife beater and his other hand had his iPod/phone with wired earbuds.

Without bothering to even pay a damn lick of attention he crossed right in front of us. I saw it coming. Car doing 45 ish and him on a collision course. I almost honked but that would have caused him to get stopped so I let god decide that one. To his credit he fill out went Olympic head diver into the ditch without any hesitation (and was likely 1/50th of a second from being killed).

Dude even tucked and rolled through the ditch and came out on his feet and threw a couple Rocky punches on the other wise before moving on. I was f’ing impressed but I know the feeling. By the time I could have reacted he’d have looked at me and been smacked.

I let god handle that one. He’s looked out for my dumba** a couple times, but I really did have enough time to think “should I honk or not???!?” I didn’t and am now glad I didn’t. I still can’t believe the total stupidity of what I assume to be a local based on where we were. The other side of the ditch was a church though so he had that going for him.

I have hit both a house and a car. lol

Both times I apologized and offered to pay, but the person said no problems, and they didn't see any damage.

I have hit both a house and a car. lol

Both times I apologized and offered to pay, but the person said no problems, and they didn't see any damage.

The one I got smacked in the balls? I’d have told the kid to yell “FORE!!!” but I couldn’t get off the ground. I literally was stepping out of my cart to see my kid tee off and no sooner did I hop out I got nutted. Pure and simple. It hurt. A lot. The damn kid on the opposing tee might not have seen me. I was just on the other side on his line and 49 yards left of target for him. I’ve been further offline.

Surprisingly I don't think I've hit anything. Had a ball bounce near a car that was driving, off a bounce, who then got out and walked down to the course to scream at all of us...

In my state, if the house was there before the course the golfer is responsible and if the house was built after the course then the owner is responsible.

I’ve hit a house before. Just hit the roof so no damage or anything.

I’ve whacked a couple of houses, on one occasion I hit a roof where some landscapers were working, a gal got off her mower and brought my ball back to me. I apologized she replied no big deal and I played on.
For this reason but mostly because I don’t like to spend my leisure time in someone’s else’s back yard I’ll never willingly play a subdivision golf course.

Back