Have you ever felt like calling it quits?

jonathanliewys

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf is a game of mental composure and it takes a lot of patience.

But I wanted to ask hackers honestly, did you ever feel like calling it quits (or a day) after a string of bad run ins, injury or due to any other factor (including financial, etc).

Currently off for 2 months due to a back injury/inflammation. It's frustrating for me because before that I was almost breaking 100 and had a groove to my swing that made me gain distance and consistency. What was most embrassing for me was my customer saw the ascend and fall to grace in that period of two months.

How did you bounce back from that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

But I wanted to ask hackers honestly, did you ever feel like calling it quits (or a day) after a string of bad run ins, injury or due to any other factor (including financial, etc).

Yes, shortly after I started learning golf and a few times since as golf is SO expensive (in my opinion it is compared to some other hobbies I have done).

The great thing is my attitude toward it. My goal is simply not 100% golf and this is what helps me. I enjoy being outdoors, the exercise, the many facets of the game, a time of not thinking about anything else, seeing others play, helping others when I can, and so on. I am so grateful to have those moments to enjoy.

Yes, I’ve thought about it when I was picking up the game because I had too high of expectations. I took a month off and looked inward about why I wanted to play.

At least twice a year.

I don't think about giving up, but I do think about launching my putter into a pond....a lot

The better of me says just to move on to next, plus a putter is pricey.

The last few weeks, I've really considered breaking it all & setting it on fire. But my HOA would probably frown on that.

No more than a time or two a month. This f’n game can aggravate the pi** out of you.

Currently off for 2 months due to a back injury/inflammation. It's frustrating for me because before that I was almost breaking 100 and had a groove to my swing that made me gain distance and consistency. What was most embrassing for me was my customer saw the ascend and fall to grace in that period of two months.

Yes since about the fall of 2018. For some reason I picked up some really bad habits and went from playing like a 10 handicap to an 18 handicap. I went from having an occasion round in the high seventies to consistently shooting in the nineties and even the low one hundreds. I started to come up out of my swing a lot, I routinely sliced or topped the ball. 3 off of the T really adds up. Very often my swing got very quick. I got to the point where I just had too many swing thoughts, smooth slow swing, stay in posture, don't sway, good finish, Get your weight through without sliding, don't hit it fat. I struggled all of 2019, I would occasionly have a good round but mostly I would leave the course very upset. Golf takes a lot of time out of the day to feel like this.

I haven't bounced back yet. I'm seriously thinking about taking some lessons.

Golf takes so much time. I often wonder, why do I do this when instead of enjoying it I am getting so angry.

Yes sir, as recent as last year. This game is hard and humbling sometimes

Every 4-5 rounds

I did quit one summer after my senior year of high school and had another summer in 2012 when we were building a house where I played only about 8 rounds, mostly for work, from mid June until the next year. I always enjoyed the 5 month forced layoff from golf that I had living in Minnesota/Wisconsin until I was 33 years-old and I mostly continued it when I moved to California for 20 years. The private course where I was a member was 500 yards from my house and was open 364 days a year and it was only the last two winters I lived there that I played more than two or three rounds from late October until March. I’ve always enjoyed taking a break from golf for the winter so it will be interesting to see how much I play when we winter in Florida starting in 3 years. I may wind up boating and fishing a lot more than and save most of my rounds for the summers in Minnesota.

I quit for 5yrs. Just picked it back up in late ‘18. Made pretty good progress last year but so far this year it’s like I’ve never picked up a club before. I know it’ll come back with work but it’s really frustrating and the “screw this, I’m done” thoughts have popped back up

In my short tenure I had two points where I questioned continuing to play golf. My interest and passion have not wavered. Those were both at points where life presented more than I could handle or fit and I had to pick my priorities. Golf is a big commitment and requires significant time, effort, and resources. There will likely be more periods where I hit the pause button —life happens — but I don’t see hitting eject anytime soon.

Over ten years ago,I took almost two years off going through a divorce and reflecting... but it was not about quitting.

At least twice a year.

More like, at least twice a round haha.

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 Draw Miyazaki C.kua 50 shaft
Callaway Epic Flash 5w Even Flow green 65 reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2,4-6 hybrid UST Recoil F3 shaft
Ping G710 Red dot 7-UW Recoil Smacwrap 780 F4shafts + .25”
Ping G700 Red dot GW,SW Recoil Smacwrap 780 F3 shafts
Ping Glide 3.0 Red dot 54 & 60 wedges Recoil Smacwrap 780 f4 shafts
Odyssey Works Versa 7H CS Putter

A number of times, and very often mid-round! Just when you seem to have a good patch going the wheels fall off completely, you look back at how much time and money you've put into the game and just think it's all completely a waste of effort. But then it pulls you back in without even noticing, and then you're back at square one. So many times.

Yep. I did quit for a bit. Not by choice but I sacrificed golf for some other things. That was a few years ago I think. I'm back now. Haven't been anywhere but the driving range and I'm wanting to play but beautiful weather during the week and lousy on the weekends hasn't allowed me to yet.

Oh yeah, about every time I back up a low-mid 80's round with a 93!! Honestly, I considered giving up golf when my lower back wouldn't allow me to play more than 14 holes per round. Luckily, the doctors were able to fix the problem, and I'm now able to play pain-free.

I did quit for about 5 years from 2011ish to late 2016. I was more active with some local Jeep clubs where I was at the time. If you think golf is expensive, don't move over to cars, trucks, and Jeeps. They'll suck you dry. I spent wasted more money on that Jeep than I could possibly spend playing golf.

I was seriously considering quitting for about 45 minutes at the start of this round a couple of weeks ago.

48-38.PNG

Make sure you take enough time away to fully heal your back and start back slowly. Sounds like you will head in the right direction when you are healed. I gave up golf for 13 years due to lack of courses where I moved and started again last year. It's a bit like a drug, gets you more hooked the 2nd time ;)

From the game? No. From buying clubs and stuff, yes haha

Once I took the plunge into playing golf, I never really thought about giving it up.

For me it's just a fun (tough) game to play. Good play, or poor play, it's still just a game. I never let it consume me.

I never expected too much from the game. I always knew I'd never be a low handicapper. The talent, and the time needed to become a really competitive player wasn't there. I just wanted to be a little better than average, while never embarrassing myself. All that said, I am sure, at times, I have become frustrated with the game, but it was a very short lived frustration.

Of course there were, and still are times, I take a short break from the game. I don't consider that quitting. It's more like a vacation, to do something else for a while.

Just yesterday... Frustration is a potent influencer.

Back