Have you ever played alternate shot format ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Today's PGA Zurich Classic final round is alternate shot . My guess is that this is the first time most of this field of Tour pros have played this format. Specifically, no top amateur , collegiate , Korn-Ferry Tour, or other USA Tour event is this format, so unless he has played in the Zurich Classic before, or been part of a Ryder or President's Cup team, I doubt the Tour pro has ever played alternate shot.
I've never played alternate shot format (foursomes) . Have you ?

I have played foursomes a few times in some amateur events. It is super hard to get in a rhythm. You also have to have a no apologizing rule among the team. It is fun though.

I have played scotch more which is pick the best drive then alternate shot in from there. That is a standard format for parent/child and mixed events. That is fun as well.

Yes at the 2018 Morgan Cup and it was Awesome!!!
I really liked how it made you function as a team because you share 1 ball.
I was also lucky to have 2 Amazing partners in @Jimmy3864 & @chefkritter who were sooooo much fun to play with.

The Fact that Team Paradise WON made the whole thing even better.

Played it in a few THP events. Always a fun format

At many THP events.

yes, played it a few times in Club events and love the strategy of playing to your partners strength

All the Father Son Championships by state in CT/GAP are alt shot...well selected drive alt shot. The Scottish 36 at Muirfield...If you play 36 you must play alt shot in afternoon. Have done that a few times. The Scots will play 18 in 2 hours that way...

Yes. Not apologizing to the other golfer was the hardest part.

Yes many times. Think I've played it at almost every THP competition and in many member/guests and tournaments. Not a huge fan of it to be honest.

Yup. For 9 holes at the 2019 THP Bridgestone Event.

My game was so far gone at that point I was just punching a hybrid 200 off the tee so pardner (@djt311 ) would have something to work with. Similar around the greens. I just wanted to get him close enough that he’d have a good safe shot. Overall in the competition I 100% sucked. But by playing for position, I think we played close to what we should have that nine.

And I understand that alt shot can make or break you. I shoulda just took what golf gave me that weekend. My short game was OK. Not great. But it wasn’t costing me. I could not keep a full shot on the planet. So punch hybrid and play from there. I need to remember that.

Yes, I have played the format. I played a couple alternate shot rounds with a good friend who I played golf with many times.

Yep, a bunch of times. It's fun. I love saying 'Don't worry, I've got that shot' to my partner after one if theirs goes astray.

I'd wager most of these pros have played it sometime before too.

Yes and it's stressful ;)

A couple of times at the Bandon Dunes Cup.

I haven't, but I can honestly say I would like to try it for fun sometime.

Yes at the Grandaddy & THP Championship... Fun times.

Played it several times but figured out you need to know your partner & they you.

Yes at the 2018 Morgan Cup and it was Awesome!!!
I really liked how it made you function as a team because you share 1 ball.
I was also lucky to have 2 Amazing partners in @Jimmy3864 & @chefkritter who were sooooo much fun to play with.

The Fact that Team Paradise WON made the whole thing even better.

That was one of the most fun rounds ever. I had an absolute blast!!!

I play it a lot in the tourneys that the wife and I play in together. It is a fun format but some of the tourneys call it the divorce format. :)

Absolutely love this format.... so much fun to play and so much fun to watch....

Played it many, many times including the Morgan Cup in ‘18 with my pal @PatsFan . Also play this annually at my my home club’s annual Ryder Cup event the first week of October plus T a few other team Ryder Cup events. Really like this format....lots of fun.

Back