Have you ever played through a group without permission?

Sounds like the one guy had the right idea and went straight from 9 green to 10 tee to get ahead of them. That would have been, and quite often is, my play. That and a quick call to the clubhouse to report their slow play and far less than stellar etiquette.

I'm in this boat as well. Call, report, skip a hole and get ahead.

I have definitely skipped a hole but never played through right behind them like that. Thats a bit aggressive.
This.

I play as a single most often, I have been behind slow groups and if the course is open ahead of them, I will just pass a hole by to get in front. Nothing worse than just waiting it out.

"get back to the club house quick, their giving away free tees"

I've definitely hollered and waved at slow groups ahead and I've skipped holes to get by but I've never just played right through a group.

Actually I may have once when 2 guys were just fishing balls out of the ponds on every hole.

they were literally in the exact position you'd go to let a group tee off to play through.

Them being way off to my left and way below me down by the pond is the thing that made me decide to hit. They were in the perfect position to let me through and in the moment I went for it, no regerts!!

I would never, ever hit over somebodies head or risk injury to them no matter how they were acting. It was the perfect opportunity and it felt like the right thing to do. I am glad I hit that seven iron solid up by the green.

I have skipped past a slow group (yelling "while we're young"), but never hit through without them waving me bye. Our marshalls double as starters, so they don't get out on the course very often.

Have only skipped a hole once with a friend, and it was mainly because it was so cold and windy out we didn't want to wait shot after shot. Plus that hole is really hard, so we took doubles and moved on. If it was a warm and sunny day we might have rode it out, or at least called the pro shop. Never heard from them and I think they did look at us funny as we drove off, but assuming they figured it out after seeing us tee off the next hole and since we never held them up it hopefully wasn't an issue.

So I've learned (or accepted) this year, that while most golfers are decent, there are enough curmudgeons that ruins it for everyone. The pro shop now gets a call every time I run into slow play or groups not letting other groups through. As my wife finally got though to me - "It's not your job to be marshall. Let the pro shop handle it and if they don't go somewhere else."

The good news is that I've complained enough and so have others that the $29 lunch special will not be coming back next year. It's done more harm than good. Sure, it fills the tee sheets but they are losing money on the kitchen side and it's causing golfers willing to pay a premium and spend money to go elsewhere. The lunch special golfers won't even tip the staff since it's "free lunch".

I did it once and it was a reciprocal thing. We had a twosome that was on our butts while we were trying to give the group in front of us time to get out of the way. They asked if they could play through on a par 3 while the group in front of us were still putting. We said no because there was nowhere for them to go. After we teed off, they drove around us to skip the hole, so after we putt, we are now waiting on them. We passed them a few holes later and they were not happy so we called the pro shop and the marshal talked to them.

I've picked up and skipped a hole plenty of times - pretty ballsy to play through though! lol

I’ve jumped past them many many times (courses I play 98% of the time don’t have any Marshal, and lots of times there’s only 1 person in the clubhouse so it’s not like they can go out and fix it). I’ve never played through on the same hole with out permission.

We were once stuck behind a slow group and a single picked up his ball 40 yards shy of the green while we were in the par 5 10th green and announced he was playing through. It kind of pissed me off in all honesty. If he was going to do that either ask in which case my response would have been “ok but good luck getting through the group in front of us”. The part that pissed me off was we then had to wait not only on the slow group to get off the tee on 11 and play their shots into the par 4 green but we had to wait on him waiting on that group. I will admit to yelling “fore” when he was on 11’s FW before my dad told me Knock it off, lol. I had not hit a ball

The back was pretty wide open from 12 on. He could have skipped to 12 and never been seen or heard from by us or the slow group again. He eventually got through their group I believe on14, the first par 3 on the back.

I thought it piss poor etiquette to just announce that and then hold us up for several holes. Had he asked I’d have told him to finish out 10, play with us until he could get through or would have said yes.

Yours is a different sitauation though. You asked and were ignored. I’d have probably just skipped ahead as that was pretty ballsy playing with them in front of you even if off to the side not to mention if they start hitting into the green it’ll be like you’re under a golf ball mortar attack.

I was in a similar scenario with a friend of mine last year waiting forever behind a slow foursome. It was wide open in front. We drove near them and asked to play through. They didn’t respond. I’m sure they didn’t know what to do. We looked at each other and said let’s go. We jumped ahead and played the next home quickly to gain some distance. It didn’t become an issue. I don’t blame you for what you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never played a hole right through a group, but I have skipped a hole if I was a single and the group ahead did not offer to let me play through (and only do this when there are a few holes open ahead of them).

I do remember one instance last year where I was playing in a threesome and two of the guys in my group stopped playing after 9, so as a single I caught up to a twosome by hole 12 and asked if they minded if I joined them for the remainder of the round. I was kind of shocked when one of them said "Actually I do mind" in a pretty angry tone. I politely told them it was not an issue and that I would just skip ahead to the next hole, and his reply to that was "Why do you think we'd let you do that" (again in an angry tone). At that point I told him to go f*** himself and drove off to the next hole. Funny enough I ran into the guy in the parking lot after the round (I played couple extra holes after the round), and he apologized to me for being a d*** (I imagine his partner said something to him about his behavior).

Definitely not. I would always ask if I could jump ahead.

Lol, gutsy move. I have to say, I have not done that. But, have wanted to many times. Worst I have done is give a healthy dose of the stink eye as I drive by them skipping a hole.

I have not quite done that but as others have said skipped over to next hole and circled back at some time to play the hole i missed or just skipped it completely.

I probably wouldnt have hit past them, I just would have skipped that hole and went ahead of them. Some people wont let you play through no matter what the circumstances are and you have to do what you have to do.

Had to be frustrating but personally I would've drove around them and teed off on #11 rather than hit through them while they were unaware. Looks like you'd end your round right back at the 10th tee anyway. I would've either played #10 later or stuck a tee in the ground at the spot in #10 fairway you hit over them from so you could play out the hole after finishing up.

View attachment 8915474
great context here. skip to #11. if given grief, awaken the beast.

I can't say that I've done the same but maybe something as brash. This was a couple of years ago when I first got back into the game. It didn't help that I was pissed to begin with because my entire game was trash. It was a beautiful day and I was wasting in on a sh!t game.

I saw this twosome in the parking lot loading up their clubs when I came out of the pro shop to pay for my medium bucket and greens fees so I knew, at some point, I was going to encounter them on the course (as a single). With that in mind I tried to set the tone by saying "Good afternoon, gentlemen". Nothing, nada, zip. Just two, typical, grumpy old men without the common decency to even acknowledge the greeting. "Whatever", I figured.

I take my time at the range, hit the putting green for another solid 15 minutes and then started my round. I catch up with Snickelfritz 1 and 2 on hole 5. I'm already not impressed because as I set up to hit my approach I see that they are parked, literally, on the edge of the green. As a former Assistant Superintendent, this pisses me off to no end. I also know that most courses will allow an exception for those with disabilities. Those carts, however, are required to attach a handicap flag to their cart. I KNOW this to be the policy at this course and I also know, damned well, that this cart does not have one. Irritated mode fully engaged.

When I get to the green, I can see them on the next box. I hit a couple of practice putts while I watched the second guy tee off. I don't know how many balls the first guy hit but the second player hit no less than three balls off the tee box and he was getting ready to hit a fourth until he sees me coming up the path, he does an about-face and hurries to the cart and they rush off. At this point I'm getting pissed. Like, really pissed.

I get to the tee box and go through my set up routine (which I KNOW will be long at this point). They make a dart line towards the lake on the left. I figured it is what it is. Golfer #1 gets out of the cart with a couple of clubs in hand and disappears down the bank. I think to myself "Cool, at least he's smart enough to do that". A full three minutes later (yes, at this point, I'm timing) he comes back up from the bank walks to the cart and grabs his ball retriever. I'm on the verge of explosion, at this point. Golfer #2 makes zero attempt to go to his ball, look for his ball, ANYTHING this entire time. Just sits there on his fat @ss and waits for golfer #1. Again, this guy disappears, comes back up ANOTHER three minutes later, and drops two balls right next to his cart. Hits one (that promptly goes right back in the lake) and duffs the next one 50 yards down the left hand rough. Perfect. They locate Golfer #2's ball on the opposite side of the fairway (of course). and he also proceeds to duff it maybe 75 yards. At this point, I just hit my ball (f*ck it). I get to my ball right down the center of the fairway (one of the ONLY decent shots I had that day) and they notice me coming. They seem to, at that point, just pick up and head to the next hole. They are just about to the fairway when they suddenly turn their cart around, pull up right next to the green (again) and literally just throw balls on the green and grab their putters. At this point, I've lost all matter of decorum. I'm about 115 yards out and I say in the loudest voice I can muster without actually yelling "Are you motherf*cking kidding me"? They both turn to look at me, say something to each other, swipe away their balls, wave me up and pull their cart (literally) 6 feet away from where they were parked.

I hit my approach shot, end up about 25 feet from the hole, two putt for par (my only par of a horrible horrible day). And as I'm walking off the green I say (not so politely) "I'll call the pro shop and let them know you need a handicap flag". And wouldn't you know it they suddenly got chatty. "It's O.K. we'll get one at the turn". "No, I got it", I said, "John will send someone right out, I'm sure".

I called the pro shop on the next hole and told the head pro about the group I just played through. He knew exactly who I was talking about. "Yep, I'll take care of it" he said. I continued my crap round and stopped back in at the pro shop on my way out and asked him what the story was with those two. He said they were both members who had JUST gotten their privileges restored. Surprise, surprise: one of them after several warnings for "egregious slow play" and the other for (you guessed it) ignoring requests to keep his cart away from the greens. Word has it they had their privileges revoked again (this time for a month). I KIND OF felt bad for a little bit and then I figured "F*ck em, they knew what they were doing". Inconsiderate golfers get no sympathy from me. Ignorant, I can tolerate. If you don't know, you don't know. But inconsiderate or flat out rude is a nope.

I have once only because I was stuck behind these 2 idiots before and they ignore you trying to talk to them. So they hit there drive 20 yards up and 20 yards over. So I teed up hit it 280 which put me 4 shots in front of theses idiots and continued with my day before they knew what happened. Drove away down the middle of the fairway to be safe in case they tried to hit into me.

That was a one time thing, normally I skip a hole if there is a similar issue.

Never done that before. That’s a n aggressive move, but I don’t blame you

Yeah not my style at all but same pair as I have had issues with so I just went f**k it.

You can also always pull the hit the drive to the other fairway then to the correct green and be done before they even get in range of said green.

Back