Have you ever played through a group without permission?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
hole10.jpg

This is the tenth hole at Greatwood in Sugarland TX. I started off as a single and quickly caught this twosome on the fourth hole. They let a twosome that was in front of me through at least I think they did. I was waiting on the fifth tee when a single came up and asked to join me. I said sure thing but these guys are slow and I want to pass them. Another single joined us on the next hole and we waited for these guys for an eternity to go back and forth from left to right never advancing the ball more than 50 yards per shot.

On the ninth green the last guy to join jetted off to pass them on the tenth and the other guy decided to play the front again. So there I sat on the tenth tee watching the last guy to join me putting on ten while these guys flailed about on the short relatively easy 10th hole. Admittedly I was getting steamed and my patience was at the end. After waving my arms and yelling "HEY, CAN I PLAY THROUGH" with no response I hit a six iron from the tee and ended up in the middle of the fairway with 160 left to the pin.

As you can see in the picture they were down the hill and left of my position that I marked on the picture above. I sat in the cart while one guy hit two balls in the water without acknowledging me above and behind them. I had seen enough and hit my seven iron into the green without permission or saying a word or even making eye contact. I did not have to hit directly over there heads but it was still a ballsy move. I had ran out of give a s***s at that point.

I drove right past them without saying a word and finished the hole thinking they could not hit me if they tried. I was not going to start trouble if they hit into me as I was clearly in the wrong but nothing happened. I was about ready to pack it in at this point because I was playing poorly and it was so slow but I decided to try my hand at speed golf. I played the next five holes in 35 minutes and played my best golf of the day. I ended up finishing the round with a foursome that included the guy who blasted off on the ninth green.

Have you ran into a situation like this before and how did it end?

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I might have called the pro shop or Marshall for help, but if they are being idiots, I would have done the same. I am ok with a longer round of golf as long as I'm not waiting on every shot, when that happens it gets me out of my groove and the score reflects that.

Sounds like the one guy had the right idea and went straight from 9 green to 10 tee to get ahead of them. That would have been, and quite often is, my play. That and a quick call to the clubhouse to report their slow play and far less than stellar etiquette.

Have gone around as a single but not through. But I do understand.

I have done this exact thing, after playing out a par 3 and rolling up to the next tee, only to see them dilly dallying on the box, looking right at me, hitting 2 more balls each, then taking off.

And a bunch of other times, but none as bad as that.

I guess the old school "Singles have no rights" is still a thing.

I have definitely skipped a hole but never played through right behind them like that. Thats a bit aggressive.

I don’t think you did anything wrong @badolds because you tried to ask and they ignored you.

I’ve been in the situation you described several times and have only skipped the hole. I’ll ask if they mind on my way past, but only to be polite.

I did witness an altercation between two other groups when, after several holes, a slow group wouldn’t let the twosome I was behind play through. As the twosome went ahead and played through without permission there was an exchange of yelling.... “play golf much?!!” by the twosome (men), followed the reply of “Ass!!!!” by the slower group (women).

Very entertaining as there was little chance of it escalating beyond words.

I have skipped a hole to get in front of groups before.

i've jumped ahead a hole or two but never played through without the other group waving me up.

Sounds like the one guy had the right idea and went straight from 9 green to 10 tee to get ahead of them. That would have been, and quite often is, my play. That and a quick call to the clubhouse to report their slow play and far less than stellar etiquette.
I would have done this as well. It's best to just skip the hole & move ahead than risk confrontation. Some people just don't know the etiquette of letting others thru. Calling to the clubhouse usually doesn't do anything in my experience. It just wastes more time for them to call a marshall & then have them come out only to just tell them to speed up.

I have done that sort of as well. If my tee shot was around their area and they're still hitting on, I would hit on and just tell them that I'm playing thru, run up and putt (or just put down 2 outta depending on distance) and move on.

I would have done this as well. It's best to just skip the hole & move ahead than risk confrontation. Some people just don't know the etiquette of letting others thru. Calling to the clubhouse usually doesn't do anything in my experience. It just wastes more time for them to call a marshall & then have them come out only to just tell them to speed up.

My course has 2 marshalls that work on a volunteer basis for free golf. One would have done what you said and the other would have gotten me through.

Can't say I've ever done that, no.

Only time I have ever skipped a group without asking would be to just jump to the next hole and roll.

I have jumped a hole to get in front of slow groups. I've only hit into groups by accident, not to hurry them along.

I've never done that. I've just skipped a hole where I would have waited plenty of times though.

Gutsy move Mav.

He had the right idea but he did not putt on the ninth hole, he picked up his ball and hauled ass. I do not have a big problem with what he did but I was not happy with the situation it left me in.

Had to be frustrating but personally I would've drove around them and teed off on #11 rather than hit through them while they were unaware. Looks like you'd end your round right back at the 10th tee anyway. I would've either played #10 later or stuck a tee in the ground at the spot in #10 fairway you hit over them from so you could play out the hole after finishing up.

layout.gif

should have just skipped ahead. Or if the front was open I likely would have just played the front twice.

He had the right idea but he did not putt on the ninth hole, he picked up his ball and hauled ass. I do not have a big problem with what he did but I was not happy with the situation it left me in.

Understand. I have never just picked up but have rushed it a bit when I saw the group that was holding me up head to the clubhouse after 9. The hauling a$$ part I am completely familiar with though to get to 10 tee before the slow pokes.

We would have just skipped the hole. Not worth the frustration to wait it out.

I've never done that. Like others, I've skipped ahead with and without asking. I would've called the clubhouse and reported it. GIven the option of jumping ahead to 10 ahead of the slowpokes, I'd have gone that route.

We did it just last week. Caught up to a group that we think was a couple who had been in front of us and a couple younger singles we thought had been ahead of them. We tried to ask them if we could play through a couple times but they had a thing about speeding off the tee right as we were approaching and then taking forever in the fairway. Finally, on a long par 5 where they were off to the right of the fairway looking for a ball I wondered aloud, 'Do you think they'd even notice if we played through them?" My partner chuckled that they might not, and we went for it. Hit two in the fairway, rode up, hit them, and they didn't so much as look our way. When we got to our 3rd shots it looked like they were finally out of the weeds and playing again. Never saw them after that. We did mention to the guy in the clubhouse at the turn that we played through them, just in case they came complaining.

The fact that they indeed didn't seem to notice kind of absolved us of the guilt of it pretty quickly. And the only reason I even wondered it is because they were literally in the exact position you'd go to let a group tee off to play through.

Last edited:
Nope. But, I’ve skipped a hole/holes to get around one that wouldn’t let me play through.

Haven't played that way before, but I have no qualms about skipping a hole if a group is that slow.

Back