Have You Ever Surprised Yourself After Making A Golf Shot

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Many times over the years while playing a round of golf and making a particular shot have you just kinda go wow I really pulled it of. So has the shot you just made ever surprised you?

Yes, any time I’ve meant to hit a fade with an iron and have. It’s only happened a handful of times. I have trouble hitting fades with irons. :D

I remember a few years ago at a nearby course on a Par 5 I hit a ball of mine on the 2nd shot to the right and ended up in a clump of trees. When getting up to look at my ball I found I had a narrow opening between two trees with a direct line to the green. Also just to make it interesting the ball was laying on patch of bare dirt. Pulled out my 3w and hit the shot right between the trees and watched to rolled up on the green to about 30 ft from the pin. I just went to myself, "wow"

For me...there is only one shot I truly dread....The 40/50 yard bunker shot...Mostly I'll take my SW and try to skull it with a partial swing....There was a time I could and did do explosions with clubs down to an 8 iron...Depending on how far the carry was needed. Last year during a good $ match and a crucial point...there I was with a 50 yard bunker shot. I hit an explosion with my gap wedge that spun near the hole...Shocker..Ha

Every couple rounds I hit a shot I didnt think I was capable of. One that comes to mind was a 30 ft eagle putt down hill. I'm new to the game and a poor putter so I was shocked I was able to pull it off.

Many times. Sometimes I forget that Im actually a pretty decent golfer when I can manage to get out of my own way. Probably the biggest moment was when I hit a 220 yard shot with a 3-wood over a creek and got the ball to stop on the green.
Im not the best golfer in the world with a 3-wood in my hand, which is why I dont carry one anymore.

Happens all the time. I would say it starts to get less surprising though the longer I play. The more you learn and more confident you get you shouldn’t have as many of those moments.

Sure. It doesn’t happen as often as I’ve played more golf but those “F YEAH” moments are special.

I've hit a couple recently that made me feel like I knew what in the hell I was doing. I wouldn't call it surprised but more content that I hit the shot I wanted. Driver over a stand of trees to shirt cut a par 5, 5 wood from 235 over water to edge of a green, sand shot over a giant lip and with 3 feet of the hole. You , that one shot out if all if them per round that gives you a glimmer of hope that you could be better than you are.

I think everyone has at one point or another. We’ve all hit a shot or two that still stands out to this day as one you remember simply because it was so surprising and out of the norm. I can recall two last year alone that still make wonder how I pulled it off.

I holed out from 135ish with a 9i.

This is great...yes, quite a few times. It’s fun when you pull off shots you imagined and kinda didn’t think you really could.

Or even sometimes there is a point in the late summer where the game just starts to feel easy for me. It doesn’t last too long, but when it does it is a ton of fun.

Yes. It doesn't happen very often but it's cool when it does.

With most of those shots, it involves hitting under, over or around trees. With those shots I'm hoping for a little success. In trying to curve it around a tree for example, I'm just hoping to get closer to the green than I would by just punching out sideways onto the fairway. The surprise comes not only in executing the shot, but when the results are even better than I'd hoped for.

Even when the shot isn't overly complicated or difficult, it's just satisfying to have the planning, execution and result come together. Those are the things about the game that keep me coming back.

Kinda short par 5 that is very gettable in two but it has a pond guarding its left front. My miss is left and I’ve lost many a ball in there. Went for it like always and stuck it within three feet. Made the put for the eagle. I’ve made an eagle before but one was a chip in on a par 4 and I didn’t even see the ball go in and the other was a crazy long lucky putt. This was all three shots out together perfectly. Felt damn good and I remember all three shots to this day. Happened about 4 years ago.

When I pull off a perfectly executed shot as I pictured that it needed to be hit.

I hit shots that surprise me good and bad every round I play.

I did just yesterday on a long par 5. Driver then 3w set me up about 65 yards to the pin over water. I hit my 58* past the pin and for the first time in my life zipped it back with so much spin it came back to about a foot form the hole. I straight up just dropped my club, looked at my wife and said “Did that sh*t just happen? Did i hit that???”

I‘ve never been able to put that kind of spin on a wedge.

Yes with one of my longest drives. Got great contact and drive ball 291 yards on a 316 yard Par 4 hole. My playing partners couldn’t believe it and I couldn’t either.

Yes, many times. I practice working the ball left and right on the range. But on course I struggle with those shots. Every now and then I need to hit around something or try a soft cut and it works out. Those surprise me. I have double crossed myself a gazillion times.

I used to be terrible with wedges. I had a better chance of hitting a green and getting close to a pin from 150 than 50, for example. I started working on wedges. On the range I would hit hundreds of wedge shots in a session. Most of those were some form of awful. But then playing every now and then I would hit a little half wedge or something that worked out. I was shocked every time that happened. After awhile I improved my wedge game and those surprises faded. I still have a long ways to go but the days of disaster wedge play is hopefully behind me.

Love it when this happens. Better though when you tell your playing partner what you are gonna do and pull it off.

I hope for a couple surprises every round... it's amazing what happens when you talk yourself into a shot.

The best is that just absolutely flushed tee shot, where you could not have felt any better after your swing. I. Love. That.
Every time I manage a GIR outside of my usual range. I surprise the heck out of myself.

I’m a true 13. Any time I hit an iron, wedge whatever and it backs up. Legit backspin surprises me ever time and I love it.

There have been a few. I can thing of a couple of flop shots that turned out exactly how I pictured it. I have one chip with a 7 iron going under a tree and up to a slightly elevated green where I told my brother exactly what I was going to do and it turned out picture perfect. Those are always fun to look back on.

Back