Have you Tried Graphite Iron Shafts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I got some recent survey results, so wanted to pose the same question to THPers. Have you tried graphite iron shafts? If yes, why? If no, why not?

I switched to graphite because of lingering wrist issues and the results have been great

I switched to graphite during Shaft up a couple years a go and won't look back now.

Oh yeah.

I was lucky enough to win a spot at Shaft Up #1 this year, so I kinda went graphite by default. I'm not sure if/when I would've given them a fair shake otherwise, but I'm extremely grateful that luck was on my side and I was exposed to the awesomeness of graphite in general, and the UST Recoil 110s specifically. Since then I've been talking up graphite iron shafts to all of my playing partners.

SlightDraw;n8875706 said:
I switched to graphite because of lingering wrist issues and the results have been great

Same here. Helps with arthritis.

Yes, played them for a couple years and enjoyed them. Originally tried them because of elbow pain, but figured I would get fit into them during my most recent fitting. I would definitely play them in the future.

Yes I have.

Switched primarily hoping to regain some distance. Stayed with graphite options mainly due to not having such harsh feedback on mishits.

Tried Recoils multiple times, but haven't been able to find the right match for me. Currently playing Aldila Rogue Graphite in a set of Wilson Staff C200.

Still holding out hope that I can end up somewhere with a proper fitting, to find that perfect pairing.

I am currently using graphite iron shafts. I was hoping that the lighter weight would give me a boost in swing speed for a little more distance. I've only had them in the bag for about 6-7 rounds so I'm not fully adjusted yet but so far they're okay. Hopefully once I've used them a little more I'll start to get more of a feel for them.

I have graphite regular flex Recoils in my older set of Big Bertha's that I am currently playing. And I have Project X graphite shafts in my Hot Metals, but they are senior flex and my swing just doesn't pair up with them now. I really enjoy the way the graphite shafts feel compared to steel. Seems to have less vibration in graphite. I may res-shaft my Hot Metals if I can find a good deal on some graphite shafts.

I did to try and combat some elbow issues I was having. It did lessen the impact on my joints but I became far less consistent with my distance control so I decided to go back. I would try them again if I were fit into them this time.

i have gamed steelfiber, and i have tested recoil, accra and catalyst but ultimately went a different direction. i'm not opposed to it at all, as long as the fit works. honestly it makes a lot of sense for my delivery, just always found slightly better results with steel.

Yes, and still play with them 9 times out of 10. I was fit into a set of Steel Fiber i110s in order to get a lower trajectory, but even though my swing has changed, and I now like a higher ball flight, the graphite shafts are fantastic.

I have a set of s400s in my other rotational irons, and there's definitely a difference in weight, but I don't really see much different in the way I play. For that reason, I will probably seriously consider graphite shafts for all sets going forward.

Personal note* I love the Paderson shafts.

I have tried them a couple of times in the past 10 years - once in a set of Ping G10s and again in a set of Wilson C300s. I wasn't fit for either set. Both felt good, but once my swing began to improve a bit, I switched to steel and I prefer it at the moment. Maybe a properly fit, heavier graphite shaft would challenge my KBS steel shafts, but it would be difficult.

I definitely have. I first used them to help with some joint soreness and i didnt miss any performance compared to steel shafts.

I only use graphite shafts now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried graphite but I cant commit until I get a proper fitting

I have, and did, until the TT Elevates came out. Vibration dampening has always been my main reason, I play way too much to not use something with some sort of dampening to it.

I have tried them. I don't use them, but my next set will definitely have them. I have really enjoyed having lighter clubs with the Modus 105. I could see myself using a 90g-100g graphite shaft.

No, not yet; my elbow is begging for them, though.

I had graphite in my DCIs that I played from 1994 to 2011. At first, I didn't like them but, within a couple of weeks, I was a fan. I switched back to steel in the next irons and stuck with steel when I was fitted this Spring.

Graphite will likely be in my next set of irons due to arthritis in my hands.

I switched to graphite two years ago because of elbow issues, seems to have helped, and I still get plenty of feedback from the shaft.

Yes. Was part of the THP/UST Shaft Spectacular and received recoils for the very first time. Haven't looked back.

I was fitted at Club Champion in Jan19, they fitted me into Steelfiber i95 Stiff and I absolutely love them!

The only club in my bag that doesn't have a graphite shaft is my putter. Went graphite for the first time with my current irons, and it was simply a "feel" issue. I tried all the irons I was interested in with steel and graphite, and I preferred the graphite shafts in all of them.

Back