Having A Caddie During Your Round

GregDan

#DreamTeam
Reaction score
Handicap
I know there may not be a ton of people out there that have had the experience of golfing with a caddie, but if you have, what are your thoughts? A useful addition to the round or just a frustration that can throw you off your game?

I've never found a caddie or forecaddie to be a hindrance. The really good ones can figure out how to club you after a few shots, and give you good lines on the greens. They also know when to speak up and when not to speak up. I'm convinced that a good caddie can save you 5-10 shots a round.

I've never found a caddie or forecaddie to be a hindrance. The really good ones can figure out how to club you after a few shots, and give you good lines on the greens. They also know when to speak up and when not to speak up. I'm convinced that a good caddie can save you 5-10 shots a round.

I tend to think along the same lines as you. I have only played 3 rounds with a caddie, all of them in December at #TheGrandaddy, and I found the experience quite enjoyable. All rounds I had a forecaddie that was very good at what he did and kept the round light and lots of fun. While I didnt play my absolute best I did play much better than I would if it were just me out there by myself.

I play in an annual multi day event with caddies. In short order the good ones have a feel for your game and can put you on clubs. More than that they help you with course management decisions and become your partner, helping you get over the bad shots and helping your confidence. It can also be fun to have someone to shoot the breeze with. Then on top of all that they can import course knowledge to you and read the greens.

I've played several rounds with caddies, some better than others. A good caddy makes it very enjoyable, especially if it is an unfamiliar course, a bad caddy can make the round unbearable. The best caddy I have ever had was at Royal County Down, he was so good at yardages and giving the right putting lines.

I've used a caddie and fore caddie before and they can certainly help you. I didn't need them to club me, yardage was fine and which side of the fairway or green to land towards was good. I felt they are the most useful on the greens if they have worked there long enough to know the reads. Not having to worry about replacing divots, raking bunkers, etc is nice also. I played Cascata about 2 years ago for the first time and used a caddy, he probably saved me 5-7 shots on green reading, but cost me $ in the end. Final hole he said he didn't think I made it over the creek, playing a money game and the guys heard that, so instead of picking me, ended up me and another person and we lost the hole and ended losing money as the last hole was worth more. Needless to say his tip wasn't as good as it would have been. So the caddy can be good as long as they know when to keep quiet.

I tend to think along the same lines as you. I have only played 3 rounds with a caddie, all of them in December at #TheGrandaddy, and I found the experience quite enjoyable. All rounds I had a forecaddie that was very good at what he did and kept the round light and lots of fun. While I didnt play my absolute best I did play much better than I would if it were just me out there by myself.

Totally agree with that assessment Dan. Even though the greens were difficult to read for me, the caddies gave me good reads and I learned to trust them. Definitely saved me from a couple more 3 jacks.

ive used caddies a whole bunch in usga tourneys but they were always family or friends and it was just to carry the bag. never had the pleasure of a real one. would love to some day though that's for sure

I've played with a caddy once and it was my good friend Skittle. It was a tournament round and he probably saved me 4 shots on the round. Certainly was nice to have someone there to also look at the putt and keep me calm. Will employ him again.

I've also been on the bag as well. I really enjoyed it. While my friend didn't play well in his tournament I enjoyed being on the bag and would do it again if asked by someone.

Only had the good fortune to do this one time in my life over three rounds at the Grandaddy and it was awesome. Somebody to spot balls, give you insight on the course, pat your back when you do something good, give a line if you ask, etc. It was freaking cool.

I've never played a round with a caddy....but I was a caddy. I can certainly tell you that a caddy can and will make your round better. They will also make your game better. The big thing is to trust the caddy and what they say. I've seen a lot of guys not trust them when they tell them to hit a certain club or that the green breaks a certain way..etc.... It causes a rift in the relationship for the round and it's usually worse b/c the caddy was right and the golfer doesn't want to admit it. A good caddy will usually take blame and go on giving you the best advice he/she can. Very few folks that I know have said using a caddy was anything but great.

I had a caddie for the first time this summer. I took my Dad down to pinehurst to play #2, a first for both of us. We took individual caddies and it was an amazing experience. They were a ton of help with yardages, not just how far, but how far it really played, line of putts was critical too. Unfortunately I had a bad swing that day and didn't score well at all, but it was an awesome experience. They also showed us the exact spot Payne made his putt from, as well as other historical shots hit around that course. I loved every minute of it. It felt like playing the game the way it was meant to be played. I honestly wish more courses offered caddie services. I'd pay more for that than a cart fee all day long.

Only had a caddy once, I was invited to play at a customer's country club and it was the best experience....I doubted him on one shot early and of course he was right, never questioned him again...he had my clubs and yardages figured out early and I might have shot my personal best if I could have putted better....

I played with one at Pebble this last fall and would pay the $120ish there again in a second. One of the best golf experiences I have ever had. He helped a lot, saved me at least 3 strokes a side.

Back