Having trouble hitting my woods on the fairway

24monthgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I hit my driver and my irons very solid but I do have a steep swing angle and I do tend to come across the ball. For some reason I have issues off the deck when I hit my 5 wood and more so with my strong 3 wood. I have been trying to do a shallow take away and I am starting to connect but not like I would like and not on a regular basis. Off the tee I hit both of these clubs solid with no real issues and it is only off the deck. I hope I explained myself properly and I wanted to see if there are any drills I can work on to change my swing angle and have a better experience with my 3 and 5 wood. I went and bought the Momentus driver (I know that will not help me with my woods) and the Orange Whip but I would love to hear your ideas. :confused2:

You may want to pose this question to the THP Teaching Professional in our ask the pro section and see if he can assist you.

Could I bother you to move it to the correction section or should I ask the question in the right area. Sorry about that JB.

24month this is a common issue with many golfers. The first thing I would look at is ball position. Is it any different with the woods off of the deck versus when you tee them up? Are you taking a divot with the fairway woods? I would like a little more info as to what are the misses and are you hitting them fat/thin going right/left and are they high/low. Just so I can try and come up with a game plane for you.

I have been playing around with ball position and my best hits seem to be between center and my front left foot. I tend to have low ball flight compared to when I tee the ball and I ALWAYS go left. Sometimes a little sometimes a lot. I do not take a divit because I am a sweeper and not a digger. I top the ball a little because I list and when I don't lift I sometimes hit just behind the ball. Why is this club giving me such a hard time? I am getting better with my 19 degree 5 wood but I have not have any sucess with my 13 degree 3 wood unless I am on a tee. I als hit it better when I am a little closer to the ball and my arms fal directly down vs with them straight out like when I am hitting my driver. I hope that answered your questions and thank you very much for any help you might be able to offer. It is time for me to start working these clubs into my fairway game and stop relying on my 4 iron for all of my shots that require distance when I am on the fairway.

24 I would like to see the ball up by your or on your left heal. If it gets farther back than that contact becomes an issue. Try moving it forward in your stance. Let me know how this goes for you. Don't alter the swing just changing the position should help a ton.

24 I would like to see the ball up by your or on your left heal. If it gets farther back than that contact becomes an issue. Try moving it forward in your stance. Let me know how this goes for you. Don't alter the swing just changing the position should help a ton.

I will give it a try but my steep swing angle works on my ironsbut not on my woods. Thanks again.

I am sorry 24 i thought that you said that you are more of a sweeper versus a digger. That lead me to believe you had more of a shallow swing plane. For the fairway woods off of the deck you need to play them up in the stance so the club has time to bottom out. Next you are trying to sweep the ball off of the fairway. Getting steep or trying to trap a ball with a fairway wood can lead to inconsistant contact. Moving the ball forward will make it easier to sweep the ball and drive the club head through the ball. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Back