Hawaii Big Island course recommendations

Reaction score
Going out to the Big island in the middle of June. First trip to that island and looking for course recommendations. Staying in Kona so the closer the better. Anyone have any suggestions or can’t miss places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what your budget is, but the 3 I would make sure to play are Hualalai, Mauna Kea & Mauna Lani.

I agree with Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani as I have played both a couple of times. Great courses! I might also throw in Hapuna, both the wife and I really enjoyed that course as well.

Not sure what your budget is, but the 3 I would make sure to play are Hualalai, Mauna Kea & Mauna Lani.

I’ve read good things about Mauna Kea and it looks pretty good so it’s definitely on the list. I’ll look in to Hualalai. Only out there for a week and probably going to just play 2 times so willing to pay. Everything in HI is pretty pricey as it is. Thanks for the Rec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mauna Kea and Hapuna would be my recommendations. Of course that is the only two courses I have played there. I did go check out The Village Course at Waikoloa and it was okay. You just aren't gonna get the views as the other courses and I don't think that it is near as nice as the other two.

I agree with Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani as I have played both a couple of times. Great courses! I might also throw in Hapuna, both the wife and I really enjoyed that course as well.

Jumping in here I will also be there this summer. Staying at the Mauna Lani. Do you recommend one course over the other there?

We went there , from Australia , visted Oahu , Big island , and Maui . only played one course Kapalua , course the Tournament of champions plays . Loved it , tough , windy , quick greens , spectacular place to play , but cost was high more so l believe exchange rate . Still would do it again ) hope ya have great trip and enjoy .😀

Last February we played Waikoloa Beach Course, it was ok but I would not pay to play it again.

I will be on the Big Island in July and plan on playing the Waikoloa Beach Course. Is there anything specific you didn't like about the course?

I will be playing with my dad and brother and picked this course because we are staying Waikoloa and it is cheaper than some of the other courses named above. We are all high handicappers and just looking to enjoy a nice course in Hawaii.

I will be on the Big Island in July and plan on playing the Waikoloa Beach Course. Is there anything specific you didn't like about the course?

I will be playing with my dad and brother and picked this course because we are staying Waikoloa and it is cheaper than some of the other courses named above. We are all high handicappers and just looking to enjoy a nice course in Hawaii.

The course was just ok. The fairways were, in my opinion, underwatered and looked dead and the greens were hard as a rock. There is only one hole where you see the water/beach. This hole is by the hotel, so people come out to take pictures and dont seem to care if you are hitting or not.

They try to push as many people through as possible, so you are always waiting to hit, or you are always being hit into. Plan on it taking an hour (minimum) longer than expected.

The course was just ok. The fairways were, in my opinion, underwatered and looked dead and the greens were hard as a rock. There is only one hole where you see the water/beach. This hole is by the hotel, so people come out to take pictures and dont seem to care if you are hitting or not.

They try to push as many people through as possible, so you are always waiting to hit, or you are always being hit into. Plan on it taking an hour (minimum) longer than expected.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I’ll adjust my plans. I really don’t like being rushed or having to wait. That more than anything ruins a round for me.

Anyone have a recommendation of north or south at the Mauna Lani? Will be there next week. Thanks!

I played South at Mauna Lani (North was just aerated) and Mauna Kea. Both were super nice, but if you're going to drop some coin on one I would definitely say the Mauna Kea. Both had great views and ocean holes, but every hole at Mauna Kea was pretty incredible. Hard course but really memorable and fun. Would love to play it again even at the price they get.

I played the Waikoloa Beach Course about a week ago and thought I would share some observations.

Cons -
  • One set of rental clubs were terrible. The set my dad was given included a broken driver (had a rattling sound) and the head of the 5 iron broke completely off while using it at the range to warm up. I will just bring my clubs on my next trip.
  • For a "Beach" course, there is only one hole even near the ocean and only around the green has the feel of being anywhere near the water.
  • Drink cart stops at about 2pm. This is due to a covid regulation. I didn't realize this so I passed up the first opportunity to make a purchase and then was out of luck the rest of the round.
  • It is golf in Hawaii so I wont complain too much, but there is not much scenery or variety in the course, mostly palm trees, lava, and condos.
Pros -
  • Staff was very friendly and had our carts and rental clubs ready before we could even go inside and pay. The starter even took the broken 5 iron mentioned above and got a replacement so we could all continue warming up.
  • The afternoon we played was not busy. We started about 45 minutes early and there was only one group behind us that never really pushed us.
  • A few holes offer some fun water features that either have to be hit over or around.
  • Course was in pretty good shape. A few dead spots they were trying to water, but everything else was great including the greens.
  • Fees were roughly $100 for our 2:30 tee time. This included the round of golf, cart, and cooler with four bottles of water. Rental was $55 for Cobra clubs. Golf tees were also handed out, but balls are supplied by the golfer or purchased at the pro shop. I didn't look closely, but it seemed to be mostly Chrome Soft in the pro shop.
I would play Mauna Kea or Mani Lani before playing the Waikoloa Beach Course again. This is partly due to wanting to try the other courses and partly because of what is outlined above. I would recommend the Waikoloa Beach Course and would definitely play it again. Had a blast and it was awesome that it was not crowded.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 6
Back