heading out to play do you....?

donny475

I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Before a round on a course you are familiar with, do you play it in your head...? I mean even at the range before playing, do you visualize what you want to hit during the round?

For me, i have had the tendency to play a round shot by shot, what i want to hit driving down the road before playing. There have been times the night before playing a tournament...I play shots in my head while lying in bed......trying to imprint the round.

I've never done this, but it seems like something worth trying.

A course that I know well? no. I show up. Putt a little. maybe chip. Then play the round as I normally do. Now if I know that I was having an issue the last time I played, Ill think about changing up my plan a little, but overall, I know where to hit shots to (just have to execute haha) and I know 98% of all the greens like the back of my hand.

Now, occasionally I will look at my stats on each hole after every 5 or 8 rounds through my Grint app to see tendencies. If there is a specific hole that I am consistently just doing something wrong or scoring badly on, I will look for a better way to play that hole.

If I’m playing in a tournament I usually scope it on google maps and self talk my way through strategy

Not normally, though I probably should...maybe I'll try for this weekends rounds

Depending on what the round is for. If for league play, I will study the course online and I will do a swing by swing approach based on distance, terrain, and obstacles involved and this will help me select the club off the tee and usually second shot club. I don't really play it in my head at all prior. The day of the round, I basically desire a decent enjoyable game in my head.

Before a round on a course you are familiar with, do you play it in your head...? I mean even at the range before playing, do you visualize what you want to hit during the round?

Always. Think about where I want to play each hole which then helps me decide which clubs to taken 5w or 60 deg for example.

I do this. It may or may not help. It gives me an idea of what I think i can do if I play my realistic best golf for an entire round.

If it’s a course where I have a few holes I have always done bad on, I will try to recall those shots and think of a different way to approach the hole. Easier to think about it before a round vs. walking off the previous green not 100% focused potentially.

i only think about getting my favorite parking spot...

some tournaments the night before ill ask the pro to borrow a cart and drive the course to get some yardages and mark stuff out on a blank score card. never been told no by the pro.

Definitely. I'm not sure why some are talking about scoping out the course on Google Maps, etc. since the OP clearly states on a course you're familiar with, but I guess they just didn't read it. Haha...

I've been known to fall asleep going over and over my upcoming round in my head.

I just try to determine my tendencies prior to the round. Is my driver drawing like I expect it to or is it staying a little straighter/even fade? I'll hit very few balls before a round, then I'll go chip and putt. Getting a feel for rough length/thickness and green speed.

Nope, hole by hole for me. Course conditions change day to day.

I do this. The the night before the round I will visualize the round shot by shot how I want to play it. I don’t always get through 18 but I think it’s an effective tool and sport. We were encouraged to do this the day before rugby games and it always helped me.

I take a look at courses to see if there's any gotcha holes with a forced layup or other considerations but mostly I play it shot by shot. Only shot I ever prepare for is the first tee shot on my neighborhood course. Depending on the wind could mean a few different shots, including a high shot over the corner if it's coming out of the south, so I'll usually spend my last few range balls practicing whatever shot I think I'm gonna need on the first tee.

I've been known to fall asleep going over and over my upcoming round in my head.

I do that exact thing. Lay there and visualize the shots I want to hit until I drift off to personal best dreamland.

As for the rest, I'm mostly like the others so far. Depending on how important it is, I'll work through shot strategy based on expected conditions and things like that. If I know where the pins will be I work through approach shots from different places. All that stuff.

i will usually pull up the scorecard beforehand and go over every hole....thinking of how i am going to play it. i even take notes with me to the course (only for courses i haven't played before). and of course after i am stinking it up the notes go into the trash all crumbled up

I do, sometimes. I think about how I want to play the first three holes. Then when I make the turn I concentrate, again, on the first three on the back.

I show up early and spend most of my warm up time chipping. I find myself playing new courses very conservatively which translates into hitting short and putting myself in that odd 20 yds and in distance.

Definitely. I'm not sure why some are talking about scoping out the course on Google Maps, etc. since the OP clearly states on a course you're familiar with, but I guess they just didn't read it. Haha...

i am one of those fools that can't read....lol

I do, sometimes. I think about how I want to play the first three holes. Then when I make the turn I concentrate, again, on the first three on the back.
I used to play through the first few at the range, and really strategize them compared to the rest. Have you noticed any scoring trend on those first 3 vs. the rest of your round?

I used to play through the first few at the range, and really strategize them compared to the rest. Have you noticed any scoring trend on those first 3 vs. the rest of your round?

I warm up, then i have a tendency to "play" the first few holes on the range. I will hit a driver/wood whatever the tee shot is then the expected or "normal" second club i would hit into he green, them go back to the driver, 5 iron, wedge, and then if the 3rd hole is a par 3, maybe an 8 or whatever the "normal" distance is...way better at adjusting than hitting 10 drivers, then a ton of 7's and so on

Back