Heading to Myrtle Beach in August......

lemmiwinks

Mark it 8, Dude.
Reaction score
Handicap
and I'm looking for some help in narrowing down where to play.
I've spoken with an agent for one of the booking services (was actually referred there when I called the pro shop at Tidewater to set up a tee time) and he quoted me prices for a bunch of courses while we're there.
Here's the options thus far:
Can play all 3 of these for $219 pp plus a box of Pro V1's or each individually at $73 pp:
Tidewater (Hosting World Am and can only guarantee a Friday tee time)
Grande Dunes (Resort and Member courses)

Other courses and prices:
International World Tour - $108 pp + a replay fee for the 3rd 9 of $30 pp.
Dunes Golf and Beach Club - $100 pp
TPC Myrtle Beach -$85 pp (Hosting World Am and can only guarantee a Sunday tee time)
The Wizard - $60 pp
Barefoot (either of the 4) - $100 pp

Would love to hear anyone's review who's played any of these courses. I already checked out mbga.com, I'm just wondering if there's one or more of these courses that we shouldn't miss or can be skipped etc. The deal with THE Pro V1's isn't a must take cause my game is nowhere near being able to take advantage of a ball like that (plus I'll probably lose half of them in a round anyway :D). Trying to pick 4 of the ones listed.

Thanks for any info.....

I have played Grande Dunes Resort course and will say, it was the most beautiful course I have played on.

Dunes Golf and Beach Club is my favorite in Myrtle Beach and is amazing. One of Dustin Johnson's favorites as well.

I played TPC and it was immaculate perfect greens and fairways. It was a tough course very challenging I loved every minute of it. Another nice set of courses is Myrtle beach national. 3 different courses and they were reasonably prices to around 70-100 dollars depending on wich course you played.

My brother came back this past weekend from his golf trip from Myrtle Beach, and was impressed with the "Grandaddy" course which is Pine Lakes CC.

I've spoken with an agent for one of the booking services (was actually referred there when I called the pro shop at Tidewater to set up a tee time) and he quoted me prices for a bunch of courses while we're there.
Can play all 3 of these for $219 pp plus a box of Pro V1's or each individually at $73 pp:

TPC Myrtle Beach -$85 pp (Hosting World Am and can only guarantee a Sunday tee time)
The Wizard - $60 pp

Would love to hear anyone's review who's played any of these courses. I already checked out mbga.com, I'm just wondering if there's one or more of these courses that we shouldn't miss or can be skipped etc. The deal with THE Pro V1's isn't a must take cause my game is nowhere near being able to take advantage of a ball like that (plus I'll probably lose half of them in a round anyway :D). Trying to pick 4 of the ones listed.

Thanks for any info.....

I went to collage at Coastal Carolina so I've played most of the courses down there. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play grande dunes. In my opinion its best course out there. Wold tour is fun to play just because all the holes resemble famous holes including some from Augusta, I would play there as well. IMO barefoot and the Wizard are overrated to a point. TPC is another one I would recommend. The fourth course would be Farmland, The green fees are cheaper than most but its a great track you just have to drive a little

I would stay away from the World Tour. I know you can't make it close to the real thing but #17 @ Sawgrass and holes from Augusta National weren't even close in my opinion. I mean I was -3 on the 4 holes like the Augusta National. :D I wasn't too impressed with conditions and staff when I played either for $125 they were charging. I really enjoyed the Barefoot courses.

Glad you booked the Dunes Golf & Beach club. I think you will be thrilled with it.

My buddy wanted to skip it and the 2nd Grande Dunes course to get the Pro V1's. He's been pretty adamant about doing World Tour so I told him if we were doing that gimmicky track, then I was overruling him and picking Dunes Golf and Beach and that I'd buy a box of balls if they were that important :D

I just returned from MB and we played down at Pawley's Island. We played Tradition (must play), Wilbrook (must play), River Club and Litchfield CC (nice courses) But you alos have True Blue and Pawleys that are must play. Barefoot is no that great of a facility in my opinion. The dining in the south of the island is great as well. Muriels Inlet is on the water and has rows of bars and restaurants.

TPC is a great track as well. Please stay away from the Wizard and World Tour, not worth the funds. I also used Ambassador Golf to help with my package, they where great. We stay and played for $438 per person 4 rounds plus $20 GC to PGA, $20 off golf shirt at on the of the four clubs, $20 voucher for a meal and 6 pack of beer :alien:

Good luck and have a blast!

The Wizard - $60 pp

Thanks for any info.....

Good choice

Good choice

hi- you made good choices and grand dunes is just real golf- all we ask in return is a review from your group when you return- let us know
thanks

I have played Grande Dunes Resort course and will say, it was the most beautiful course I have played on.

I second that! It is my favorite course in Myrtle hands down! :D

But if you are looking for a one of a kind experience The International World Tour is it! Course is always in prestine condition and it is truly amazing to play nearly identical holes to the famous holes of golf.

I'm heading down to MB in Aug as well with the family and staying at the International World Tour resort. The wife has given me two passes for rounds of golf - do you have to be a resort guest to play Grande Dunes?

I just returned from MB and we played down at Pawley's Island. We played Tradition (must play), Wilbrook (must play), River Club and Litchfield CC (nice courses) But you alos have True Blue and Pawleys that are must play. Barefoot is no that great of a facility in my opinion. The dining in the south of the island is great as well. Muriels Inlet is on the water and has rows of bars and restaurants.

TPC is a great track as well. Please stay away from the Wizard and World Tour, not worth the funds. I also used Ambassador Golf to help with my package, they where great. We stay and played for $438 per person 4 rounds plus $20 GC to PGA, $20 off golf shirt at on the of the four clubs, $20 voucher for a meal and 6 pack of beer :alien:

Good luck and have a blast!

I'm with you brother, we always stay in Myrle's Inlet and play course down there (True Blue, Caledonia, Traditions).

I've played all of the courses in the OP and like them as well. Tidewater was great when I played it, but a trip to MB for me isn't complete without playing Caledonia.

I'm heading down to MB in Aug as well with the family and staying at the International World Tour resort. The wife has given me two passes for rounds of golf - do you have to be a resort guest to play Grande Dunes?

Not that I'm aware of dankil.
We were given the choice of playing Grande Dunes Resort or Members coures and we chose the Resort Course.

Not that I'm aware of dankil.
We were given the choice of playing Grande Dunes Resort or Members coures and we chose the Resort Course.

Great choice! I believe it was ranked #1 course in the nation a few years back. I play there nearly every time I go to Myrtle Beach! Amazing course and facility overall. Funn course and pretty easy as long as you don't overthink it. I shot a 74 there last year :D

I'd drop The Wizard. Its not in the same class as some of the other courses you've listed.

I just returned from MB and we played down at Pawley's Island. We played Tradition (must play), Wilbrook (must play), River Club and Litchfield CC (nice courses) QUOTE]

I love Wilbrook. It rarely gets press or talked about but one of my favorites in the MB area.

My brother-in-law and I just played Myrtle Beach National West Course this past weekend and it was in really great shape. The greens were a little soft but nothing to worry about. We got an 8am tee time for $39 per person. I'd give Teeuptomorrow.com a look. Good rates for the Myrtle Beach area.

Looks like a great trip ahead of you, love me some MB and can't beat the selection of courses from average to amazing. The rates are really good too because the number of courses allows for competitive pricing on packages.

You've made some fine choices. Lived in Myrtle for a few years... if you have a chance to play wednesday- I recommend the Glens complex up on the north end- Heather Glen, Glen Dornoch are both great.

I am going to MB for a 3 day weekend trip with the wife. We are looking at staying at The Legends and playing their courses. How are the Legends courses?

Legends courses are all elite courses in the area you should have a good time there

World tour is a huge hit with the locals they love that place, I have not played it though but that is what I was told. If you want to save a little bit a money hit up heather Glen. I am pretty sure i only paid like $60 for that and it was in emaculate condition and in my point of view is in the same category as your Tidewaters, Dunes, barefoots, etc.

I am going to MB for a 3 day weekend trip with the wife. We are looking at staying at The Legends and playing their courses. How are the Legends courses?

If you can, make the drive to Pawleys Island and play The Heritage Club, it's a Legends course and is a great layout and a fair test, the staff is exceptional. Any of the 3 on site are fun to play as well, heathland is the easiest of the bunch, and Moorland can hurt feelings lol..

Back