GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
We are always talking about tasty food and snacks, but unfortunately, most of those are not exactly what you would consider healthy. So, I thought, why not start a healthy snack thread. What are some of your healthy go-to snacks or light meals?

I haven't been able to drink protein shakes after my workout lately. The thought of drinking another shake literally makes my stomach turn, so I discovered something called a protein sludge. I have had protein smoothie bowls before, and those are great, but this one is super easy. You take 1 scoop of protein powder, enough almond milk (or liquid of choice) to get a creamy consistency (it will be almost like creamy peanut butter) and a handful of frozen fruit. That's it. It's super quick, easy, and refreshing (from the frozen fruit) after a workout.

I will say though, vegan protein powder does not mix like whey does, that turned into more of a protein concrete, or if you want a positive spin, cookie dough, let's go with cookie dough consistency.

I'm also a big fan of cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I will sometimes add a nut butter to some greek yogurt, that's a great combo.

Ohhh I like this topic, because its good for the course too.

Outright Bars are currently my favorite for a quick snack that fills me up.

• Admin

Hands down the best consistency in a protein bar I have tried to date.

Kirkland protein bars
Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt
I've been on a kick with Mandarin oranges lately, always have them in the house.

Had to look these up and it looks like they have some pretty good flavors!

I will be watching this with interest. Many of my go-to snacks, especially nuts, are now off my list because I do not want to go through another encounter with asymptomatic kidney stones and all that entails.

I bring fruit 1 or 2 bananas or sub a Clementine or 2 or cubed pineapple. I also bring cashews and or almonds lots of water with mio for flavoring the one with electrolytes. I also bring a protein bar or shake. Finally I’ll bring a cheese stick sometimes.
These are for walking days, I’ll bring some combo of 3 or 4 of the above. On riding days, less.

For around the house/regular snacking fruit protein chips flavored water cheese sticks nuts. With summer here many more fruit options!

My struggle, especially with a wife who is a picky eater, is to get enough protein, so most of my snacks are healthy and higher in protein, here are some of my current favorites:

• One Bars - Specifically Birthday Cake and Glazed Maple Donut (Best Protein Bar Taste IMO)
  • Chomps - Wife introduced me to them, great snack
  • Babybell Cheese
  • MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate (Lemonade) - Super refreshing and light, much better to me than a chocolate/vanilla protein

And I will say it.
Not all protein bars are created equally. My goodness some of them are worse for you than a Snickers Bar. Thankfully @GolferGal can steer me in the right direction on ingredients, but jeez there are some terrible things in some of these.

Oh, meat sticks have been a staple in our house lately too. Chomps, Nicks Sticks and Vermont all make great ones.
I like meat sticks, but most of them give me horrible indigestion. I do take jerky out on the course sometimes.

I’m always looking for a good protein bar, I’ll have to look for that one! Thanks.

I usually carry on the course with me, dried fruit (cherries and apricots), cashews, chia squeeze pouches and some salmon jerky.

When I'm trying to be good I'll eat the below, but I'm too much of a chip fiend to be good all the time.

On-course:
Banana
Jerky
Nuts
Dried Fruit

Off-course:
Mini sweet peppers
Celery
Cucumbers

When I'm trying to be good I'll eat the below, but I'm too much of a chip fiend to be good all the time.

On-course:
Banana
Jerky
Nuts
Dried Fruit

Off-course:
Mini sweet peppers
Celery
Cucumbers

If you are a chip fan, but want to stay healthy, have you tried these? I was skeptical, but they are honestly really good. I really want to try the chicken and waffles flavor.

Wilde_PDP_All_Chicken-min_3000x3000@2x.png

Oh, meat sticks have been a staple in our house lately too. Chomps, Nicks Sticks and Vermont all make great ones.

Have been a lot of Vermont Smoke & Cure in my house lately too. Top notch.

If you are a chip fan, but want to stay healthy, have you tried these? I was skeptical, but they are honestly really good. I really want to try the chicken and waffles flavor.

Hmmmm... interesting! I'll check em out. Thanks!

I always grab a 10th Tee bar at the turn -- Peanut Honey hits the spot, along with a blue Power Ade.

On course, I like a protein bar, an energy bar or a banana. Off the course, fresh fruit, raw vegetables, nuts, trail mix or popcorn.

I always grab a 10th Tee bar at the turn -- Peanut Honey hits the spot, along with a blue Power Ade.
I used to always eat those. Then I read the ingredients. Its like eating a Snickers Bar, minus being as delicious.

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Modified Palm Kernel Oil, Skim Milk Powder, Whey Powder, Yogurt Powder

Not a big fan of shakes or protein drinks. After a lot of physical activity, I’ll grab milk, chocolate milk and agree with the cottage cheese and Greek yogurt choices.

Also for something more firm to munch on, celery stuffed with cream cheese is tasty.

I used to always eat those. Then I read the ingredients. Its like eating a Snickers Bar, minus being as delicious.

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Modified Palm Kernel Oil, Skim Milk Powder, Whey Powder, Yogurt Powder

Yeah, but I justify it to myself by thinking that I'm walking all that off over the next nine holes.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
We are always talking about tasty food and snacks, but unfortunately, most of those are not exactly what you would consider healthy. So, I thought, why not start a healthy snack thread. What are some of your healthy go-to snacks or light meals?

I haven't been able to drink protein shakes after my workout lately. The thought of drinking another shake literally makes my stomach turn, so I discovered something called a protein sludge. I have had protein smoothie bowls before, and those are great, but this one is super easy. You take 1 scoop of protein powder, enough almond milk (or liquid of choice) to get a creamy consistency (it will be almost like creamy peanut butter) and a handful of frozen fruit. That's it. It's super quick, easy, and refreshing (from the frozen fruit) after a workout.

I will say though, vegan protein powder does not mix like whey does, that turned into more of a protein concrete, or if you want a positive spin, cookie dough, let's go with cookie dough consistency.

I'm also a big fan of cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I will sometimes add a nut butter to some greek yogurt, that's a great combo.

I eat a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese, too. And I could almost live on high-quality protein shakes.

Back