Heat... And it's effects on your game...

I honestly really enjoy playing on hot days. My body feels and moves better and ball go far.

When i am going to play in the midday summer heat;

- knock off the nightly beer or cocktail a few days in advance

- start drinking tons of water a day or two before

- drink 12oz water every other hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s both good and bad for me. My back feels great when it’s hot. I also end up with sweaty hands andLack of energy on the back nine.

I'll never get used to heat. I can usually tolerate for a four or five holes, but then it's too much and I either drink too much or just give up.

That's why I always go with early early early tee times.

I am fine with heat. I do release a good amount of head sweat. Do not be alarmed.

Best part of playing in "extreme heat"..... ball go FAR!

It does take some getting used to. Like @Snowman, 14 years in the desert has changed my body. Below a dry 70F and I'm looking for a jacket. I do not walk while playing. Still it takes some effort to play in heat. personally once it gets over 105F it starts to get uncomfortable, but mangable. Lots a of water and some electrolytes. I feel that proper hydration is not pumping yourself full of electrolytes only during your activity. You must take hydration as a lifestyle choice. And then you should be consuming at least 2 for every one if not 4x water to electrolyte beverage. On course I try to drink 64 oz of ice water and 16-24 oz of powerade style drink.

Ice towels are simply decadent. and really help your enjoyment. Sun screen / solar sleeves are a must and I try to "hug shade" every time I can.

A Coors lite per side always helps too.

If you want to play in Louisiana you have to get used to heat and high (ridiculous) humidity. Indexes in excess of 105 (and sometimes pushing 115) during the summer is normal. Even graduating to carts only helps a small bit. Lots of water and Gatorade. Go from tree to tree between shots. Towels in cooler to wrap around neck is a lifesaver. Rotating gloves every hole helps keeping a grip. If it’s really oppressive, I ease the golf swing down to 85% to conserve energy for the later holes. It all helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having spent an extraordinary amount of time in extremely humid and desert environments, I consider myself fairly durable when it's hot out... But I've noticed lately that I get a little "burned out" after 10 holes or so...I guess walking has a lot to do with it but how do you folks in those higher triple digit heat and higher humidity areas withstand heat during your rounds while walking...

I can understand the walking part, but in general, desert environments are very low humidity! I was in the fine wine business for about 3 decades, and made many trips out to California, including some trips to the Napa Valley in August, which can be smoking hot! 110 degree days one after another! I can tell you that they were more comfortable than a 90 degree day here in NE Ohio! At 25% humidity, your perspiration evaporated! You didn't wind up with your clothing pasted to you!

And another advantage is that when the sun goes down, it cools off! Because of the time change I'd be waking up at 4 or 5 O'clock in the morning. I'd put on my sweats and go for a walk. There were many times when I wished for a pair of gloves or a stocking cap! It was that cold! But, the vines love that effect!

I generally handle the heat perfectly well, have played in some very hot temperatures (although some of you guys will consider them positively arctic) and never really had an issue. Is the humidity that I find hard though, just from a fatigue perspective, but as long as I'm continually hydrating then it doesn't phase me too much.

Living in Houston this time of year my rounds are +93° and humidity +80%, with some very strong sun and I walk almost every round. All basically resulting in heat index of +110°F. A few things to consider when playing in this stuff is it takes some time to adjust to that kinda heat. If your playing in it all the time, or gradually ramp up to it you'll be much more tolerant. But if @HarlettoScara came to visit me from his cool cloudy homeland, he would likely struggle in the heat regardless of Hydration. Still happens to Texans if they don't spend time frequently in the heat (curse of the AC). So if you live in the Pacific NW or the NE and take a summer trip to Kiawah or HHI take some precautions.

For my rounds I tend to drink tons of water (3-4L) bottles per round, I find eating helps a lot specifically for Sodium intake. So I try to eat some nuts or something else salty throughout the round. And this summer I've started carrying a dry towel as well as a chilli towel on some rounds. The Chilli towel works well if you have a breeze with lower humidity, wrap that around your neck and it does wonders. The dry towel allows me to get enough sweat off my face to actually play the shot :ROFLMAO:. And finally wear sunscreen!

If I do the above i'm usually able to get through the hottest rounds with out much impact on my play, but it tends to still totally sap my energy for the rest of the day. Nothing like a good shower and nap on the couch post round to watch the PGA finish up!

Living in Houston this time of year my rounds are +93° and humidity +80%, with some very strong sun and I walk almost every round. All basically resulting in heat index of +110°F. A few things to consider when playing in this stuff is it takes some time to adjust to that kinda heat. If your playing in it all the time, or gradually ramp up to it you'll be much more tolerant. But if @HarlettoScara came to visit me from his cool cloudy homeland, he would likely struggle in the heat regardless of Hydration. Still happens to Texans if they don't spend time frequently in the heat (curse of the AC). So if you live in the Pacific NW or the NE and take a summer trip to Kiawah or HHI take some precautions.

For my rounds I tend to drink tons of water (3-4L) bottles per round, I find eating helps a lot specifically for Sodium intake. So I try to eat some nuts or something else salty throughout the round. And this summer I've started carrying a dry towel as well as a chilli towel on some rounds. The Chilli towel works well if you have a breeze with lower humidity, wrap that around your neck and it does wonders. The dry towel allows me to get enough sweat off my face to actually play the shot :ROFLMAO:. And finally wear sunscreen!

If I do the above i'm usually able to get through the hottest rounds with out much impact on my play, but it tends to still totally sap my energy for the rest of the day. Nothing like a good shower and nap on the couch post round to watch the PGA finish up!
I would probably have to agree with you there, have a feeling that I would really struggle around there and end up like a little puddle afterwards. Gotta be worth a try though sometime.....?

That humidity is rough, having living in Dallas there is a night and day difference in humidity between Houston and Dallas. I could play in 100 degree weather all day long because the humidity was non-existent. All perspective though as my Arizona friends would visit and they thought Dallas had humidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thailand 90+*, 100% humidity. always fun to train there :LOL:

yeah me & heat don't work too well together. Just ask anyone that was at the Budget Golf event a while back. :eek:

Dehydration is no joke! And don't get hammered the night before playing in triple digits because you will never drink enough to recover. 🤕

Just drink everything all day... three of my buddies and I like to play 36 in August. Usually one guy hosts and we'll do a morning round - lunch - afternoon round. Always seems to be the hottest weekend of the year... Southern Indiana a few years ago they got 4" of rain the night before so it was also the most humid day of the year AND cartpath only...

The next year I hosted it was 92 or so... the 2nd course has a BW's next door. We may have overindulged for lunch which made the afternoon round a little interesting. I think we may have reenacted scenes from Ishtar coming down the stretch. I know I finished the round with a birdie and barefoot...

I did really screw up one time playing in extreme heat one time. Drove 2+ hours down to Louisville for a 4th of July weekend family getogether. A couple of cousins were leaving as soon as I got there to play in 94 degree heat. I was a little tight from the car ride and had not time to loosen up let alone hit some balls. In the heat I felt pretty good like my muscles & ligaments were good to go but I was wrong.

I think it was the 2nd hole and there was a forced carry over a ravine. I took a big swing and hit the ground a little harder than I'd like to. I made good contact and cleared the ravine easily. Problem was my shoulder popped out, I dropped to my knees and saw stars as it immediately popped back in. Always figured it was the heat because I felt good but really needed to stretch a bit more. Actually finished the round though I was swinging about 50%... The injury pretty much ended my softball career. Swinging a bat would cause the shoulder to reinjure. I missed a few weeks of golf but was back at it before the end of that summer.

Playing in the heat is not an issue as long as I stay hydrated and eat something during the rounds. I have worn sleeves and apply sunscreen during the hot weather to also cut down on exposure to the sun. The sleeves also can give a cooling effect as you sweat and the wind hits the sleeves. No wind and you just sweat. lol I do need to look into some sort of cold towel to help stay cool. If I don't stay hydrated, the last several holes are tough to play and my score can suffer.

Back