gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
It seems everything in Drivers is going Ultralight, Featherweight, Speedlight Bla, Bla Bla! What happened to the Drivers with a little meat on thier bones?
I know everyone is looking for swing speed but if you hit a ball with a club with some weight behind it....,It's gonna Go!!! Is there anyone else out there who prefer a club with a little heft?

Yes sir. See: My signature.

The Boccieri heavy equipment is great gear, and really helps one stay on plane. The hybrid is getting great results, so is the fairway wood. I love my irons and wedges!

It seems everything in Drivers is going Ultralight, Featherweight, Speedlight Bla, Bla Bla! What happened to the Drivers with a little meat on thier bones?
I know everyone is looking for swing speed but if you hit a ball with a club with some weight behind it....,It's gonna Go!!! Is there anyone else out there who prefer a club with a little heft?

Light seems to be in right now as most of the OEM's has everyone chasing distance. The Heavy drivers have some weight and were tested here at THP. A little extra distance is always nice, but I'm chasing accuracy so all the light stuff doesn't really interest me.

I may have to try them out. And yeah.., I'm not intersted in speed I'd rather have accuracy!

For me it seems that the 70 gram shafts are better in my SuperTri as well as light wt. steel shafts in the irons. I don't hit the light weight stuff very well, maybe I just haven't found the "right" club yet.

I may have to try them out. And yeah.., I'm not intersted in speed I'd rather have accuracy!

But in that case one must assume that light gives less accuracy than heavy and for many that is simply not the case. Actual weight and swing weight are quite different and if someone can pick up something lighter without altering the feel of the club during the swing, they will achieve greater swing speed without loss of accuracy.

Part of the reason lighter is "in" is because technology has brought advancements in manufacturing of graphite. Years ago, light weight meant poor quality. So heavy was a better alternative due to better 'ingredients" in the shaft. However in recent years, some companies have been able to go quite light without any loss in quality and because of that you are seeing a major boom.

I like both.

Sent via Tapatalk

Swing weight is more important to me than actualy club weight, in a driver at least.

The heavier equipment better suits some games, I haven't found one that fits mine yet.

i was thinking about this myself.

i currently tried my 905r with grafalloy blue stiff shaft back to back with a callaway ft fitted with a matrix ozik 6 shaft and the difference in weight was noticeable.the funny thing is the matrix shaft is suppose to be heavier so i came to the conclusion that the titleist head was heavier.

my ss and ball speed were up with the lighter club but i wasn't swinging well so maybe the results would of been closer with the 2 clubs.

I am not a big fan of light drivers. I have tried hitting plenty of them and they just don't feel right to me. Just like everything though it's all personal preference.

I like a lighter driver because I don't hit the ball super far to begin with, so any distance I can gain through a lighter club and more clubhead speed is how I wanna go!

BDG

Heavy is more comfortable to me. Currently, all 3 weights in my SuperTri are 16 grams to bring up the weight even more....

I'm not a fan of light weight as with my tempo I can get out of whack pretty easily. Sub 70g shafts seem to give me the perfect blend of enough distance and good (by my standards) accuracy.

With swing weights in the low D's I can hit an Ultralight or lightweight driver. But when I try to go after the ball, which I do often, I tend to lose just about everything that makes a decent golf swing.

]i currently tried my 905r with grafalloy blue stiff shaft back to back with a callaway ft fitted with a matrix ozik 6 shaft and the difference in weight was noticeable.the funny thing is the matrix shaft is suppose to be heavier so i came to the conclusion that the titleist head was heavier.

That is where the term "Swingweight" comes into play.

I've got an NV55 stiff in my driver with a swing weight of D2, I've tried a multitude of drivers and the lighter ones seem to work best for me. I have a good friend that swings a D4 and it's like swinging a sledgehammer lol, but he kills it.

I like lighter drivers better. They allow me to whip the head through the impact zone that much faster and therefore I see a stronger ball fight and slightly more distance.

Swingweight is the dynamic difference between the weight of the head, vs the entire weight of the club. How the weight is distributed totally.

So if you have a super light shaft, and a normal weight head, the club is going to feel "head heavy"

But if you have a normal weight shaft, with a normal weighted head, although the total weight is higher, it wont feel as so when you swing it. The head will feel actually lighter because the total weight is distributed throughout the entire club, not just in the head.
care to explain a bit better?

Swingweight is the dynamic difference between the weight of the head, vs the entire weight of the club. How the weight is distributed totally.

So if you have a super light shaft, and a normal weight head, the club is going to feel "head heavy"

But if you have a normal weight shaft, with a normal weighted head, although the total weight is higher, it wont feel as so when you swing it. The head will feel actually lighter because the total weight is distributed throughout the entire club, not just in the head.

that's better........

agree with JB (swing # vs. club #). I always have prefered a heavy swing weight, not necessarily a heavier club

My Supertri is an E4

For me, the problem with light is that after a few drives I tend to not be able to feel where the club is and my swings starts to get screwed up. I like a driver with a little weight.

This one is always an interesting conversation. I carry some of the lightest woods and then transition to a very heavy hybrid and some weighty irons. I can tell you that I 100% do not think about the weight of any of them when I'm swinging them.

This one is always an interesting conversation. I carry some of the lightest woods and then transition to a very heavy hybrid and some weighty irons. I can tell you that I 100% do not think about the weight of any of them when I'm swinging them.

I am with you. I really don't think of the weight of my clubs. I think that so much of this is a mental thing. People hear ultralite and immediately decide that club won't work for them. It is hard to even give the club a true chance. I have heard stories of people getting fit for a club and taking one that didn't perform as well only because of a brand or look etc. Much of it comes down to perception.

I am with you. I really don't think of the weight of my clubs. I think that so much of this is a mental thing. People hear ultralite and immediately decide that club won't work for them. It is hard to even give the club a true chance. I have heard stories of people getting fit for a club and taking one that didn't perform as well only because of a brand or look etc. Much of it comes down to perception.

I agree with you. I think many people hear 'light' and assume things right away (like inaccuracy, etc). I think it's easy to let your mind decide if a club will work for you before you give it a real shot, but we all do it in some form. I just never really think about it. Of course, it comes down to fitting and some things don't work for everybody.

Back