Hello from New Mexico

Hi folks, just stopping by to introduce myself. I'm mostly a lurker but will occasionally join in on lesser controversial topics. I'm from Las Cruces and play to about a 7 currently. My driver is currently possessed by a 36 handicap so I'm trying to exercise that demon. Otherwise, I'm fairly solid throughout the rest of the bag. I guess that's about it. Take care.

How "golfable" is New Mexico in the winter? Thought about renting a house there for a while this winter, but is it warm enough to golf in areas that aren't too high up in the mountains (ski zone)?

:welcome: :welcome:

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

How "golfable" is New Mexico in the winter? Thought about renting a house there for a while this winter, but is it warm enough to golf in areas that aren't too high up in the mountains (ski zone)?
I was stationed about 45 minutes NE of the OP a couple different times. Probably spent 8 or 9 winters there. Elevation is the key but winter golf weather is pretty darn good in southern NM. It rarely rains then, average highs reach about 60F during the coldest months and you should see mid 70s even 80s several days each month Nov-Feb. Summers are hot unless you go up the mountain and March into April isn't ideal. It gets incredibly windy then. Dust storms are real. But winter golf(y) Depending upon where you rent it can be well less than a 30 minute drive from enjoying a 75F round on the golf course to strapping on your skis.

Last edited:
I was stationed about 45 minutes north of the OP a couple different times. Probably spent 8 or 9 winters there. Elevation is the key but winter golf weather is pretty darn good in southern NM. It rarely rains then, average highs reach about 60F during the coldest months and you should see mid 70s even 80s several days each month Nov-Feb. March into April is incredibly windy though. Dust storms are real. Depending upon where you rent it can be well less than a 30 minute drive from enjoying a 75F round on the golf course to strapping on your skis.

Awesome, thank you for the intel.

Welcome to THP! I can relate with the driver. It has either been bombed right down the middle or a huge miss that is OB or in serious trouble. No in between where I can scrap my way to a par.

New Mexico gets pretty darn cold in the winter, especially in the northern part of the State. I no longer live in NM but I lived in Las Cruces where the average temperature from November to March is around 60. You'll get your super cold days with frozen greens but generally, it'll be cold mornings with pleasurable day time temps. You'll definitely get to play a lot but like I said, the south is much better weather-wise. Albuquerque, by comparison, will average low 50's. Good luck if you do decide to rent a house. NM golf is fabulous.

New Mexico gets pretty darn cold in the winter, especially in the northern part of the State. I no longer live in NM but I lived in Las Cruces where the average temperature from November to March is around 60. You'll get your super cold days with frozen greens but generally, it'll be cold mornings with pleasurable day time temps. You'll definitely get to play a lot but like I said, the south is much better weather-wise. Albuquerque, by comparison, will average low 50's. Good luck if you do decide to rent a house. NM golf is fabulous.

thanks, very helpful. Afternoon golf would fit my schedule better so this could work out! I may look at some places further south too since there’s enough of a difference within the state

Back