Hello from S. Cali

TMNTHacker

Leonardo approves of the "swords" in the bag
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello All,

Been golfing for a bit over 3 years now and been mostly figuring out stuff on my own. Took one lesson, but didn't like the instructor too much, so I just kept going to the range swinging away until something happened.

Some background on how I got started on this journey of chasing a white ball around...

While growing up, I was never into golf. Thought it was the most boring sport (to watch) in the world... and in some respects, still is (LOL!). I would sometimes go hang out with my HS buddy who used his dad's ancient clubs to play. We'd all share the same bag of clubs at the range, just messing around. Fast forward 17 years later, my uncle was collecting donations for his Meals on Wheels program to feed the needy. I dropped off some stuff for donations and my uncle pulls me to the side and asks, "Hey, do you golf?", to which I responded, "Sort of." Turns out, someone had donated a couple bags of clubs and he let me pick through what I wanted (for free). That's where I got my first set of clubs: Callaway X Tour Forged Irons (4-PW), a couple Callaway woods, and an Adams Golf Driver. My other uncle found out and gave me his old Taylormade R11S Driver and an M1 3W. After working with those and finally getting a bit consistent, I started looking into finally purchasing my own set. I started going to Roger Dunn golf shops to test out some stuff and found I really liked the way the Callaway Rogue felt. After a year of waiting for prices to drop, I finally pulled the trigger when I found a good deal.

By definition of the word "Hacker", I guess that's what I am, but I'm driven to learn and figure out what I'm doing wrong. I went from slicing everything to hitting my irons pretty straight and now working on getting my driver to consistently go down the middle of the fairway. Been getting good center of face contact after adjusting my driver to a 12 degree loft, adjusting the face to close a bit at address, strong grip (3 knuckles), and choking down at 45" (on a 46" R-flex shaft). I just recently did this and instead of a consistent slice, my ball flight is pretty consistent at a slight fade or a draw.

Looking forward to use this site as a resource and my apologies for a long 1st post!

Last edited:
Welcome to THP! Awesome 1st post!

Welcome to THP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP. What part of southern cal are you from?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kevin81002;n8897303 said:
Welcome to THP. What part of southern cal are you from?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm in the San Gabriel Valley. I frequent Eaton Canyon over in Pasadena. I also like Monterey Park for night golf.

Welcome to THP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP! No need to apologize for the post - it’s YOUR thread!

Nice set of clubs to get you back into the game!

Welcome to THP!!!

TMNTHacker;n8897220 said:
Hello All,

Been golfing for a bit over 3 years now and been mostly figuring out stuff on my own. Took one lesson, but didn't like the instructor too much, so I just kept going to the range swinging away until something happened.

Some background on how I got started on this journey of chasing a white ball around...

While growing up, I was never into golf. Thought it was the most boring sport (to watch) in the world... and in some respects, still is (LOL!). I would sometimes go hang out with my HS buddy who used his dad's ancient clubs to play. We'd all share the same bag of clubs at the range, just messing around. Fast forward 17 years later, my uncle was collecting donations for his Meals on Wheels program to feed the needy. I dropped off some stuff for donations and my uncle pulls me to the side and asks, "Hey, do you golf?", to which I responded, "Sort of." Turns out, someone had donated a couple bags of clubs and he let me pick through what I wanted (for free). That's where I got my first set of clubs: Callaway X Tour Forged Irons (4-PW), a couple Callaway woods, and an Adams Golf Driver. My other uncle found out and gave me his old Taylormade R11S Driver and an M1 3W. After working with those and finally getting a bit consistent, I started looking into finally purchasing my own set. I started going to Roger Dunn golf shops to test out some stuff and found I really liked the way the Callaway Rogue felt. After a year of waiting for prices to drop, I finally pulled the trigger when I found a good deal.

By definition of the word "Hacker", I guess that's what I am, but I'm driven to learn and figure out what I'm doing wrong. I went from slicing everything to hitting my irons pretty straight and now working on getting my driver to consistently go down the middle of the fairway. Been getting good center of face contact after adjusting my driver to a 12 degree loft, adjusting the face to close a bit at address, strong grip (3 knuckles), and choking down at 45" (on a 46" R-flex shaft). I just recently did this and instead of a consistent slice, my ball flight is pretty consistent at a slight fade or a draw.

Looking forward to use this site as a resource and my apologies for a long 1st post!

Hey! Where abouts do you reside? Lot of us here in SoCal.

Welcome to thp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great post & Welcome to THP!

pmm21;n8897495 said:
Hey! Where abouts do you reside? Lot of us here in SoCal.

:eyepoke::blowkiss::laugh:

TMNTHacker;n8897321 said:
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley. I frequent Eaton Canyon over in Pasadena. I also like Monterey Park for night golf.

Welcome

:welcome:

No apologies for long posts!

Welcome to THP!!

pmm21;n8898438 said:
Right on. Pretty far from me, but keep an eye on some of the gatherings we put together. Always a good time and the more the merrier!

Thanks! I have a buddy that lives in Playa Del Rey. I meet up with him when I feel like wandering over to Roger Dunn over on S Bundy Dr, so I'm just up the street from Santa Monica. I don't go out there for much else, other than Roger Dunn or Bay Cities Deli for the Godmother.

TMNTHacker;n8898907 said:
Thanks! I have a buddy that lives in Playa Del Rey. I meet up with him when I feel like wandering over to Roger Dunn over on S Bundy Dr, so I'm just up the street from Santa Monica. I don't go out there for much else, other than Roger Dunn or Bay Cities Deli for the Godmother.
Two of the finest establishments on the planet!

Posted by my thumbs.

Welcome aboard!

Back