Hello from San Diego

Welcome and all the best @BreakfastBall! Small world, a native SD that lived in DC for 5 years, however was not golfing at the time.
You didn't miss much by not golfing in DC, BUT I will say that I took my first lesson at Haines Point (East Potomac) and it was my practice spot until the day I left. I appreciate that DC has a commitment to keeping golf close and accessible to anyone that wants to play at a price point that is affordable. The national linx project is also heading a major restoration of all 3 of DC's courses which I think is cool. It aint the greatest golf in the world but I got paired with Generals and every walk of life you could imagine and I'm richer for it. It was a great experience.

Last edited:
:welcome:

As I sit in my car letting the windshield defrost all those courses sound great! Hope others can chime in with better thoughts about golf in the area for you.

Welcome!

Thanks for the multiple welcomes! Very much appreciated. I live in the Aviara neighborhood and that has quickly become a favorite even though I'm not a member. A buddy is a member and we play there a fair amount. I play Carlsbad Crossings with my boys and with some friends here and there. Other courses I've tried in the last year include: La Costa, Arrowood, St. Marks, The Vineyard and Twin Oaks to name a few. I'll start to move inland as "winter" hits (a joke for those of you who have a real winter) toward Escondido the Eastern part of the county. I'll also be out in Palm Desert for Thanksgiving and get try a few places our there. There are so many places to play, so I'd love suggestions from those you that live here or have played here a lot and I'm always for a round, so let me know. I have NOT played Torrey yet. I plan to walk on some weekday this winter since tee times are a pain to get. Look forward to getting to you know you all continuing to grow my game!
Seems like you have a lot of great courses to play! Enjoy! You deformed to play Torrey at least once.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Thanks for the multiple welcomes! Very much appreciated. I live in the Aviara neighborhood and that has quickly become a favorite even though I'm not a member. A buddy is a member and we play there a fair amount. I play Carlsbad Crossings with my boys and with some friends here and there. Other courses I've tried in the last year include: La Costa, Arrowood, St. Marks, The Vineyard and Twin Oaks to name a few. I'll start to move inland as "winter" hits (a joke for those of you who have a real winter) toward Escondido the Eastern part of the county. I'll also be out in Palm Desert for Thanksgiving and get try a few places our there. There are so many places to play, so I'd love suggestions from those you that live here or have played here a lot and I'm always for a round, so let me know. I have NOT played Torrey yet. I plan to walk on some weekday this winter since tee times are a pain to get. Look forward to getting to you know you all continuing to grow my game!
I lived in North County for 15 years - it's been a while, but some of our favorite courses in the Escondido area (besides Twin Oaks and The Vineyard, which you've already played) were Castle Creek, Pala Mesa Resort, Boulder Oaks and Eagle Crest. Go a little further north into Temecula and you have Temecula Creek, Redhawk, The Legends (formerly Temeku Hills), and Cross Creek.

Aviara is a dream! Par3s there are beautiful and challenging. Played out there this past year right before US Open (profile pic is from one of the holes).

Aviara is a dream! Par3s there are beautiful and challenging. Played out there this past year right before US Open (profile pic is from one of the holes).
Its a lot of fun! It is challenging too with the ups and downs and some tough approaches....eventually plan to make it my home course.

Its a lot of fun! It is challenging too with the ups and downs and some tough approaches....eventually plan to make it my home course.
It was really cool! When I played there I played behind Mini series Mizuno player fred and social media influencer... chatted with them before the round and met up after and they were hanging out with the creator of Birdicorn and his family.

Hi All,

New to HP and been playing the game for about a decade and much more seriously the last 5 years...about 16 HCP. Lived in DC for many years prior to finally getting back to one of the great meccas for golf when we moved to CA. I'm playing year round and have found a fantastic instructor that's really helping me continue to improve. I'm sure, like all you, once you get bit hard by this maddening game...there's no turning back. I love everything about and especially the fact that it is so challenging to be halfway decent. Look forward to learning from many of you who are further down the road on your golf journey.

Cheers
Welcome to THP! I'm out in San Diego as well, its definitely a great city for golf.

Who are you going to for lessons? I'm a similar HC and am looking to try out some new instructors this season.

Welcome, I'll be out in SD the end of July for the Transplant Games of America. I'll be playing 2 courses out there for the Games: Fairbanks Ranch CC for Singles and Miramar Memorial for 2 Man Bramble. I'm also staying in the Gaslight District so any food places that I must hit up please lmk.

Welcome to THP! I'm out in San Diego as well, its definitely a great city for golf.

Who are you going to for lessons? I'm a similar HC and am looking to try out some new instructors this season.
Thanks, TH. I tried lessons at Avaiara and Crossings and wasn't super impressed with the lessons I had there. I won't impugn any instructors specifically, but I thought the instruction was super generic and I was certain I had some very SPECIFIC issues in my swing that needed major attention. I didn't know exactly HOW my swing was broken, but I knew that it was broken. I ended up going to Mike Maggs at SoCal golf center in N Carlsbad. You won't be impressed by the facility...a massive range pointed toward a dirt hill next to power lines and just off 78. I almost walked out the first time I showed up...massive golf factory.

Mike is the head pro and is set up in one corner near the fitting area and really has nothing to do with the range (though I"m sure he rents his space). He uses trackman for every lesson. Mike can SHOW you what's not working and then show and teach you how to make the swing changes that are fundamentally sound and impactful. You don't have to take his word for it, he puts up on the screen for you to see. I will say, though, you are going to have to commit. I've been with him for a year and I've had big breakthroughs at 6 mos, 9 mos and now at 12 mos...I'm on the Silver plan which is 2 lessons per month. He does a video for every lesson and sends it to you for you to review the concepts and drills between lessons...invaluable. They do supervised practice as well where a number of his students are out hitting and he walks around correcting and being available for questions. My first instinct is that maybe it was some kind of scam to keep you paying (I'm a natural skeptic) but now I understand it. You can quit anytime BUT if you are a high handicapper (like I have been) you are likely not going to magically "get it" in a month or two..unless you are a prodigy; I am not...I've had to work VERY hard to get a decent golf swing. I'm jealous of those who don't. Mike has changed my golf life...I mean it. The effortless power that I never thought was possible for me is repeatable and accessible almost all the time now. I also could explain to you the "how" behind my swing, when I really had no clue before. I'll likely dial back to one less a month here soon since I'm starting to be able to self correct my swing.

I am now refining my swing and starting to work on moving the ball around and making sure my swing sequence doesn't get out of wack. The scores are starting to come down but continuing to improve putting and shortage will help there. My ball striking has never been better and that really makes it fun. I know there are tons of great instructors out there...but Mike has been the best I've found in the decade I've been playing the game. I sent a buddy to him the other day who's game is really off the rails...he's struggling in the early stages of re-tooling his swing, but he sees the possibility of where it can go for him and he's excited. Your mileage may vary but Mike is the dude for me right now as its all clicking. I'm don't watch YouTube golf videos of any kind these days or read golf tips..don't want to get distracted. PM me if you want more specifics.

Welcome, I'll be out in SD the end of July for the Transplant Games of America. I'll be playing 2 courses out there for the Games: Fairbanks Ranch CC for Singles and Miramar Memorial for 2 Man Bramble. I'm also staying in the Gaslight District so any food places that I must hit up please lmk.
Sounds awesome! Maybe we can link up for a round. PM when closer and remind me and I'll give you some suggestions. The food scene in SD has really matured the last 10yrs or so.

Back