Hello from Seattle

Welcome to THP! I understand your situation. In 1967 I had to take over my folks tavern in Langley, WA (the Doghouse - a true institution) because my mother had passed away and my Dad wasn't doing well. I had some experience in the business from growing up around it and being the night bartender at the Northlake Tavern near the UW (while I was carrying a full load of classes). I moved home and ran the Doghouse for six months, built up the gross, and sold it for 50% more than my dad had been willing to take for it. I was opening it up every morning at 9am and closing it down at 2am. I stayed (semi) sane by playing 9 holes of golf every morning at the little 9 hole course on the island before I went in to work. It is amazing what you can do if you have to, and you are in your early 20s. Then I went back to the UW, on to grad school, and did something totally different the rest of my life. But I never forgot how to work hard or the value of golf in my life. Now living in Friday Harbor, with 10 weeks in New Zealand during our winters (leaving next week), and golfing three or four days a week when not cruising the Inside Passage on our trawler. Hang in there, both in your business and with golf - the latter will give you the greatest escape imaginable. It is totally consuming in the moment.
Yes, sounds like you know the life very well. I'm in this for the long haul so definitely trying to make sure I have a couple of good escapes to not go insane.

Almost a decade of living in Seattle area, I still have never made it out to the San Juans, I hear great things about Friday Harbor - need to check it out soon. Have a great trip to NZ, I watched a couple of New Zealand videos on a golf channel on YouTube, looks beautiful and golf culture seems to be thriving.

Welcome to THP..... If nothing else, this will be an excellent bump for your bar business..... I know a few guys who like to imbibe :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, you hang around here you'll have a lot of golf buddies to talk shop in no time! Welcome again!
I do have a huge selection of liquor, over 500 bottles and almost 200 of that is whiskey ;)

Welcome to THP!

Best of luck with your business. Hopefully, all of that hard work will pay off soon and you will have more time for golf.

Haha, I'm almost afraid of getting better .....*snip* ....... custom fitted clubs.

Welcome to THP. when I got back into the game and found THP, I went straight out to the PGA store and tested clubs to find ones that properly fit me. Even that free and basic level of fitting made a huge difference. It was pretty eye opening how difference irons reacted to my swing.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP.

Hello everyone - I'm new THP. Great to find an active forum.

I'm about a year and a half into bar/restaurant ownership which means money is tight and my personal life is non-existent (no days off, 80, 100, sometimes 100+ hours/week). This year, I'm going to continue to work hard but pay more attention to my well being as well. After all, what's all the hard work for if I won't be mentally and physically healthy enough to enjoy the success? I have been around the game of golf since around 2005 but never really took it serious. Used to have a top flite set i used to take to the driving range a lot for "cheap entertainment." I got out to the courses but didn't take it too seriously. But this time around, I've decided to give it a go and take it seriously. I picked up a set of used clubs and have been to the range a few times this year so far. I spent the least I could to put together a set of what I deemed to be "hittable clubs". Driver, 3W, 5W, 4i-P, 52, 54, 60, P - I think I'm in about $200. All reputable brands just several year old models, Ping, Cobra, Callaway, Odyssey.

It feels really good to get back to the range. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. My hitting is of course very inconsistent but I'd like to think there's hope. Right now, from range session 1-3 the difference is already major as I "unlock" these golf muscles.

Anyway, I have no golf buddies to talk to about any of this so I'm just sharing my story here haha! Excited to get the journey started. For now, lessons first.

Welcome to THP! One of the things I really appreciate about THP is the opportunity it gave me to play with local (and non locals come to think of it) golfers who loved the game as much as I did. It’s always harder not having golfing friends you can get with.

Good luck with your business and your golf game!

Glad to have you here!

Welcome! Just north of the border and will be there over spring break! Love the coffee scene down there - maybe I'll wander into your bar! :D

Welcome! Just north of the border and will be there over spring break! Love the coffee scene down there - maybe I'll wander into your bar! :D
Sounds great! I had family live in Richmond for a little bit so used to go up there often - not too much time spent in Surrey but have been through a few times!

welcome to THP

Welcome from up North.

Back