Help design my new wedge setup

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says the task. I maintain and update my wedge combos for when I swap irons or review clubs. I’m happy with nearly all the combos except for my 50-54-58 pairing. So that’s the task - design your ideal wedge setup (brand, grind, etc.) and make your recommendations.

A bit more detail - the 50 will see plenty of full shots, so a little forgiveness is welcome there. The 54 and 58 must be able to open up wide and get saucy.

Help me out, THP?

Are you dead set on 50, 54, 58?

If so:

50*: CBX2 or Glide 3.0. Both of these have a bit of help for full shots.

54*: Cobra Versatile Grind. 10* of bounce but with toe and heel relief. Easy to open up.

58*: Cobra Widelow. Probably my favorite grind. Wide sole helps in soggy conditions but the low bounce let's you still open up the wedge with ease. You could hit a flop off hard pan if need be. Probably the most adaptable wedge grind out there.

RTX4/SM7 has options for the 54/58 as well. RTX4 has mid bounce only in the 54 so unsure if that will work for youm SM7 has the m/s grind in both 54 and 58 to get some flexibility.

Easy...one stop shopping! Ben Hogan Equalizers all lofts in 2* separation from 48*-62*

You know the Cobra wedges. I have the same setup you are looking at in 54 versatile and 58 wide low. It does everything for me.

I am intrigued by the new TaylorMade MG2s. I would go 50 and 54 in standard and 58 in the low grind.

Hogan Equalizers. 50, 54 and 58. Very versatile in their stock setup without having to worry about choosing between various bounces, grinds, etc.

Personally I love Vokeys but also would like to try the milled grind from Taylormade. In my opinion the best set of wedges is 50, 54 and 60.

Ok - embarrassing confession time. I’ve never owned a TaylorMade wedge so buying one on faith is tough. But they have a strong following. What do people love about them?

Molten;n8896015 said:
Ok - embarrassing confession time. Ive never owned a TaylorMade wedge so buying one on faith is tough. But they have a strong following. What do people love about them?

The Hi Toes were my favorite wedges, a better Phil Mickelson wedge, imo. I happily carried them until the Morgan Cup this year. I haven’t seen the new Milled Grind 2 wedges in person, yet, but they really look cool, with some great technology. I like the face rusting aspect to them.

J.B. Cobb III;n8895816 said:
Easy...one stop shopping! Ben Hogan Equalizers all lofts in 2* separation from 48*-62*

But what do you like about them?

M2Giles;n8895799 said:
Are you dead set on 50, 54, 58?

If so:

50*: CBX2 or Glide 3.0. Both of these have a bit of help for full shots.

54*: Cobra Versatile Grind. 10* of bounce but with toe and heel relief. Easy to open up.

58*: Cobra Widelow. Probably my favorite grind. Wide sole helps in soggy conditions but the low bounce let's you still open up the wedge with ease. You could hit a flop off hard pan if need be. Probably the most adaptable wedge grind out there.

RTX4/SM7 has options for the 54/58 as well. RTX4 has mid bounce only in the 54 so unsure if that will work for youm SM7 has the m/s grind in both 54 and 58 to get some flexibility.

I’m not completely set on those numbers but they would be nearly a 4 degree gap with all scoring clubs. Mixing brands and technology will make some gapping more difficult. I love the current recommendation- what would you change if the numbers changed?

I’d go slightly brand agnostic-

50- CBX2
54-Vokey S grind
58-Hi Toe

Molten;n8896250 said:
I’m not completely set on those numbers but they would be nearly a 4 degree gap with all scoring clubs. Mixing brands and technology will make some gapping more difficult. I love the current recommendation- what would you change if the numbers changed?

Different lofts would of given you more options. Not all companies are fully supporting the 54* yet. Also, if you were entertaining the 3 wedge setup at all.

Based on how you said you were planning on each wedge, I would still give a similar recommendation.

No suggestions for rtx4 wedges?

Ping G410 sft 10.5* with Tensei Orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G400 sft 3w Tensei blue 65g reg flex shaft
Ping G400 7 wood Tensei orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2 hybrid Tensei blue reg flex shaft
Ping G410 4&5 hybrids UST Recoil shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pros 6-pw Recoil F3 95 shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 SW,LW recoil F3 95 shafts
Ping Craz-e putter

obedt;n8896257 said:
I’d go slightly brand agnostic-

50- CBX2
54-Vokey S grind
58-Hi Toe

I gotta admit, I like the sound of this set up.

M2Giles;n8896288 said:
Different lofts would of given you more options. Not all companies are fully supporting the 54* yet. Also, if you were entertaining the 3 wedge setup at all.

Based on how you said you were planning on each wedge, I would still give a similar recommendation.

I love, love the versatile grind so I’m on board with the 54. I assume you have both - MIM or King Black?

And a CBX or CBX2 makes a ton of sense at the 50.

For the 58* only the black is available with the widelow grind. You can get raw from Club Champion. You could also find a used PUR or King wedge for the widelow 58*

For the 54* you could go either way. If you want to match the 58* then you can do that. The MIM is really cool and what I'm looking to move heading into fall with a 52* and 58* (unless I can snag some Raws ot PURs).

For those on a budget,, and wanting a good quality wedge,,, Maltby M-series with KBS shafts from Golfworks.com,,, is worth a look,, you can also get the bounce thats right for you.. (something you need to consider and understand before purchasing) I am no longer afraid to pull a wedge out of my bag as a matter of fact ,, look forward to using them.

Another vote for Hogan equalizer wedges. Depending on your game, but if you're anything like me. I hit a lot of full shots with my 50/54/58. The sole on the equalizer wedges is the best I've ever owned. I previously had the RTX3 and CBX and the Callaway Mackdaddy wedges. Completely different levels of confidence. Good luck with whatever you choose!

So many Hogan recommendation. I’ve got some research tomorrow to get a refresher.

Molten;n8896015 said:
Ok - embarrassing confession time. I’ve never owned a TaylorMade wedge so buying one on faith is tough. But they have a strong following. What do people love about them?

you know what I like about the HiToe and the New Levels? It's nothing more than personal preference, but when I set them down the inner part of the leading edge looks so damn close to the ground that even when I open them up, it looks like it barely even moves. Gives me crazy confidence to open the face up for a pitch, lob, or bunker shot. I prefer the shape of the Cleveland wedges historically, but I haven't had that look on the inner half of the leading edge for me since the RTX 2.0. To get that look for me on the RTX4, I have to drop to a 1 dot grind, and I'm not sure that's where I want to head.

ddec;n8896833 said:
you know what I like about the HiToe and the New Levels? It's nothing more than personal preference, but when I set them down the inner part of the leading edge looks so damn close to the ground that even when I open them up, it looks like it barely even moves. Gives me crazy confidence to open the face up for a pitch, lob, or bunker shot. I prefer the shape of the Cleveland wedges historically, but I haven't had that look on the inner half of the leading edge for me since the RTX 2.0. To get that look for me on the RTX4, I have to drop to a 1 dot grind, and I'm not sure that's where I want to head.

HiToe is in the running for the 58 for sure. I’m going to try to demo one soon and get some numbers to make sure it is what I need.

Have you spent much time with different wedge shafts? From my last iron fitting, I came away believing shaft was as important as head. I hope to explore wedge shaft options before I buy another set of wedges. I think I can be happy with wedges from most brands given the options. But I have never used anything other than a stock wedge shaft and have a sense that getting the right shaft is where I'm going to find what I am looking for in wedges.

I'm intrigued by the recommendations for Hogan and TM wedges. The Equalizer doesn't have a lot of sole/bounce options, but the specs look pretty good for me. Nice price too. Hi Toe looks interesting. I love my PM 60.

AverageJoe;n8896387 said:
No suggestions for rtx4 wedges?

I love my RTX4 wedges, but the Vokey SM7 I have is better, IMHO. When they RTX3 and 4 wear out, they will be replaced with SM7s.

mtcowdog;n8897086 said:
Have you spent much time with different wedge shafts? From my last iron fitting, I came away believing shaft was as important as head. I hope to explore wedge shaft options before I buy another set of wedges. I think I can be happy with wedges from most brands given the options. But I have never used anything other than a stock wedge shaft and have a sense that getting the right shaft is where I'm going to find what I am looking for in wedges.

I'm intrigued by the recommendations for Hogan and TM wedges. The Equalizer doesn't have a lot of sole/bounce options, but the specs look pretty good for me. Nice price too. Hi Toe looks interesting. I love my PM 60.

I think I’ll match the shafts in my irons but the shafts can certainly matter.

Back