HELP!! I play... boring golf?! :'(

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
So I was watching this video last night of a couple guys playing a SIM golf match on a pretty challenging course, and playing a little creative format. The result was they were having to hit crazy shots out from and over the trees a bunch and just generally making **** up. And it was fun to watch! I enjoyed it. Fun round. And then something hit me. That thing called BORING GOLF, that certain people like @McLovin drone on about aspiring to play, well, I think I play that. I mean I basically dry humped a log to punch out and hit an intentional topper off a ball partially covered by a tree root yesterday, but that was kind of an anomaly. In general, maaaybe a little boring? :confused2: And 250+ rounds in this year things are feeling a little stale.

SO, I don't have to actually play well for anything for a couple weeks, am generally all for any ridiculous or terrible suggestion of something to do/try on course, take most requests, and am looking to spice things up. Hit me with some ideas!!!

*As long as none of the ideas make me flex my left wrist, bend and twist excessively, miss a meal, or get home past 5:00 and in bed by 8:30 of course. :p

Bob Rotella has a saying about creating positive memories since our brain remembers strong emotions. He wants us to actually get excited about a good shot rather than treating it like we expect to hit those every swing and not treat poor shots or results like the end of the world. I certainly remember both a topped tee shot and a over faded (although honestly not really sliced) long iron. But I really remember the 60° full swing flop over a tree from about 50 yards which hit the stick and wound up 3 feet to the right of the hole.

I try and play boring golf but sometimes the recovery or hero shots stick out in my mind. I'm trying to erase that bad ones and get more hyped for the great ones. I still want to play boring golf though haha.

How boring, to play fairway and green golf…

You should play a round where you aim at every pin, regardless of location. Tucked over a bunker? Fire right at it. 245 carry over hazard? You better have fairway wood in hand and be trying to thread the needle.

Rotate the tee boxes starting at the forward and move back one on every hole then repeat, but since you are a bomber off the tee irons only for whole round.

So I was watching this video last night of a couple guys playing a SIM golf match on a pretty challenging course, and playing a little creative format. The result was they were having to hit crazy shots out from and over the trees a bunch and just generally making **** up. And it was fun to watch! I enjoyed it. Fun round. And then something hit me. That thing called BORING GOLF, that certain people like @McLovin drone on about aspiring to play, well, I think I play that. I mean I basically dry humped a log to punch out and hit an intentional topper off a ball partially covered by a tree root yesterday, but that was kind of an anomaly. In general, maaaybe a little boring? :confused2: And 250+ rounds in this year things are feeling a little stale.

SO, I don't have to actually play well for anything for a couple weeks, am generally all for any ridiculous or terrible suggestion of something to do/try on course, take most requests, and am looking to spice things up. Hit me with some ideas!!!

*As long as none of the ideas make me flex my left wrist, bend and twist excessively, miss a meal, or get home past 5:00 and in bed by 8:30 of course. :p

Play a half set. Take some clubs away. Not real dramatic.

Tee off with something unusual to change up your postions on course. Has potential.

If you have a playing partner with differing length, ability.... play his tee ball, and let him play yours.

Play alt shot with a high handicap buddy.

Ideas incoming.

Can we get a lefty round?

Start at your middle tee box and move back a tee if you make a birdie or better and move up a tee if you make a bogey or worse.

Called it 2 months ago:

1638467405437.png

Last edited:

Play with only the odd # clubs :unsure:

I think the boring golf that people talk about is a round full of two putt pars. Nothing flashy but nothing that hurts. With all your birdies and eagles, I would say you play far from what is meant by "boring golf" :LOL:

Maybe you can play around with @RealPretendPsychic kittykat as opposed to Gizmo. Just have to keep him/her? out of the sand traps!:D

Play a reverse shamble with me. Where ever I hit.....you play from there. Tee to green.

Maybe do like a 3 club challenge or something?

What I would give for your version of "boring" golf though :p

I like the reduced club version, combined with moving tee boxes based off your prior score.

Or play two balls and always pick the worst one, and hero mode needs to be fully engaged on anything out of position.

When you get the chance, play two balls from the tee & then play from the worst of the two. So on until the ball is holed. :unsure:

It’s going to make me feel bad about my golf game playing normally, isn’t it?
Haha No. I don't think so. I've petrified, significantly since I've done that last. Should be fairly terrible. 😬

When you get the chance, play two balls from the tee & then play from the worst of the two. So on until the ball is holed. :unsure:
I had a brief chance the other day where I thought I might have time for this. It's definitely on my list. (y)

Maybe try a "worst ball" - Tee off and take the worse shot

Back