Help me build my new computer

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
I'm looking to buy a new computer. I like to play games but I'm a pretty casual gamer, I don't care for/want/need super-duper-uber-graphics and specs. To be honest I probably can't tell the difference. That being said, I do like to play the latest games when they come out but I'm mostly into strategy games.

I've been looking at a few different packages:
  • Cooler Master Elite 120 Mini-ITX Svart
  • Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK
  • Intel® Core i3-3220 Processor
  • MSI B75IA-E33, Socket-1155
  • Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9
  • Gainward GeForce GTX 650Ti 1GB PhysX
  • Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB
  • Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB
  • Microsoft OEM Wired Desktop 400
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64bit

• Cooler Master Elite 310 Svart/Silver
  • Corsair CX 430W PSU
  • Intel® Pentium® Processor G2120
  • MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
  • Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9
  • ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5
  • Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB
  • Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
  • ASUS PCE-N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64bit
What would you guys recommend? I'm not exactly savvy when it comes to graphics cards, motherboards and all the numbers and things that go with it.

The first package doesnt look to bad but id upgrade the processor to the i5 or i7 if you can, also id go for a 1T hdd instead of 128gb.
The second package is only a dual core processor where as the i3 is a quad core.

What's your budget. I always recommend buying all the parts and putting it together yourself because it usually saves you money and is a lot of fun.

The first package doesnt look to bad but id upgrade the processor to the i5 or i7 if you can, also id go for a 1T hdd instead of 128gb.
The second package is only a dual core processor where as the i3 is a quad core.

SSD is primarily for performance, not storage.

What do you want the computer for?

I've got a 500 GB HD sitting here so I don't need that. You pick the parts and they assemble it for you...besides, I ain't doing that myself. No way :)

I know prices for electronics don't translate well between Europe and the US but both of these are in the 550-650 euro range.

Put Windows 7 on it if you can. 8 is buggy as hell right now

Put Windows 7 on it if you can. 8 is buggy as hell right now

For sure. Never use a Windows product until a Service Pack comes out for it. Let everyone else deal with the original release.

From what I've seen so far on the test machine we have set up 8 makes Vista look like a dream OS

I use win 8. It's fine. If you don't get a free upgrade to 8, then skip 7 and go right to 8. It's different, not better or worse, just different. It is faster. Definitely snappier and boot and shutdown times are very fast compared to 7.

I'd dissent on the graphics processor. I haven't found many software apps that stress modern CPUs much. In fact, thats muchnof the reason for the slump in PC sales lately....just not much need to upgrade like there used to be. Video editing would be the one exception. However, every next gen of game stresses the graphics system. For longevity, I'd put more money into graphics.

Thanks guys, I'll probably go with the first package but with a modification or two.

Just a few suggestions from a guy who's got way too many computers around the house.

1) Get a core i7 if you can afford it. Don't skimp on the CPU, it's in control of everything.

2) 8GB of RAM is barely enough these days IMO. 16GB is a good target. More RAM always translates to more speed in a modern OS.

3) If you build your system with a SSD, pair it with a spinning disk in the chassis for bulk storage. Put the OS and your games/applications on the SSD and make sure that you store all of your music/videos on the second drive. Also, look at the Seagate Hybrid drives which combine 32GB of flash RAM with a spinning disk and come in 500GB and 750GB sizes. They are cheap and quite fast (I have the 500GB one).

4) The performance of your graphics card is key for gaming. Top-end ones are crazy expensive but also deliver stunning results. I would pick a target price point for video (i.e. $200) and scour reviews from a reputable place like Tom's hardware or CNET to find the one that's the best performing at your price point.

5) Windows 7 (64-bit) is a really solid OS. I also have used Windows 8 for quite a while now and it works fine.

Don't forget a decent monitor and good speakers! Just like crappy speakers can make the most expensive home theater sound like junk, a bad monitor can really degrade the experience if it can't keep up with your speedy new PC.

For the speakers, you don't need a 5.1 setup (unless that's your thing) but a set of 2.1 speakers really makes a difference by adding some boom to your in-game kabooms. :)

Enjoy your new machine!

Ken

I build computers as a side-job. From what you have laid out, I would upgrade the CPU to at least the i5, preferably the i7. Make sure it's a true quad-core. 4 actual cores, and 4 virtual cores. From everything you've shown in the 2 options, I'd make a recommendation of combining parts of them. If you have the budget, here's what I'd recommend for the best bang for the buck of what you've listed.

case: your choice
PSU: Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK
CPU: as stated earlier, go for a i5 or i7
Motherboard: depenxs on PSU, case, etc...
Graphics:
Gainward GeForce GTX 650Ti 1GB PhysX
HDD: 128 SSD AND 1 tb 7.2krpm drive
DVD:
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

OS, Case, Ram, Monitor, etc....are all up to personal discretion...the other thing I would recommend getting is a wireless card built into the PC. It may take the speed down a fraction, but wires running everywhere is a pet peeve of mine. If you have any questions, please ask.

Dan

I build computers as a side-job. From what you have laid out, I would upgrade the CPU to at least the i5, preferably the i7. Make sure it's a true quad-core. 4 actual cores, and 4 virtual cores. From everything you've shown in the 2 options, I'd make a recommendation of combining parts of them. If you have the budget, here's what I'd recommend for the best bang for the buck of what you've listed.

case: your choice
PSU: Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK
CPU: as stated earlier, go for a i5 or i7
Motherboard: depenxs on PSU, case, etc...
Graphics:
Gainward GeForce GTX 650Ti 1GB PhysX
HDD: 128 SSD AND 1 tb 7.2krpm drive
DVD:
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

OS, Case, Ram, Monitor, etc....are all up to personal discretion...the other thing I would recommend getting is a wireless card built into the PC. It may take the speed down a fraction, but wires running everywhere is a pet peeve of mine. If you have any questions, please ask.

Dan

Personally I wouldn't be putting a wireless card in, but it depends on what you are using the machine for - if you are planning on gaming then definitely don't use wireless in my opinion

If you have the option you could always use something like power line plugs which use your existing electrical wiring for networking, or if you have the option like I did then you could have network cabling put through the house so I have network points in all rooms of the house

Back