Help me choose THE ball

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
My ball pocket looks like a lost and found of many brands and types. I'd like to go into the new year with 1 ball.
I swing harder than most, I prefer a mid-trajectory flight and a softer feel, would like distance and stopping power on the green. With kids in college, I'm also frugal so would prefer to not pay $50/dozen.
I've played the original Chrome Soft, Super Soft, Pro V, Pro V-X, Z-Star, Q-Star, Vice Pro, e6, e5.

Suggestions?

Z Star XV would be my suggestion. Great ball at a great price point.

Possibly this for performance and value for higher speed - $33 but less if you buy more

Chrome Soft or CSX Christmas deal at $40.

Wait for more Christmas Deals as in Srixon ...

Possibly this for performance and value for higher speed - $33 but less if you buy more

Chrome Soft or CSX Christmas deal at $40.

Wait for more Christmas Deals as in Srixon ...
I agree that with the OP’s criteria, the Snell MTB X would be an excellent option.

Another vote for the QST here though I have been playing the Mizuno Tour RB the last 3 games. Nice ball and I picked them up for $27.99/dozen on clearance.

Try a sleeve of the 2020 Chrome Soft X. It sounds perfect for you and the spin on approach shots is unparalleled.

I will "un-vote" for the QST. Not a fan personally. Really gave them a shot, but the comparison (live, on course), the spin was no comparison with the Chrome Softs. There is a reason why the QST is less expensive verses some listed above. If you like the Q Star, you will probably like the QST.

Please don't roast me for this opinion.;)

Take advantage of the CS Christmas special!

Hard to beat Srixon for the frugal golfer. Q-Star Tour might be the best bang for the buck out there, and Z-Stars can be had for just a bit more if they're a better fit for you.

If you can check your ego at the door, give the Top Flite Hammer Control a go. My regular ball is the Q Star Tour (Z Star as well) but I wanted to try a softer two piece ball for winter play. Picked up the Top Flite Hammer Control and its great. I had no problem stopping it on greens and got a few extra yards on drives. Feels really good off all clubs especially irons. Won’t switch full time but a bonus is they’re cheap, two 15 packs for $25 at Dick’s.

Last edited:
Srixon Z-star... last year's model. Buy at Xmas. OR check Black Friday deals. They're soft around the green and long off the tee.

In fact, you can get a three pack of the Z-star 6s right now on Amazon for $99.99. OR the Z-star 5s for $27.50/doz. (Prime shipping Incl).

I will "un-vote" for the QST. Not a fan personally. Really gave them a shot, but the comparison (live, on course), the spin was no comparison with the Chrome Softs. There is a reason why the QST is less expensive verses some listed above. If you like the Q Star, you will probably like the QST.

Please don't roast me for this opinion.;)

Take advantage of the CS Christmas special!

if at all possible try and do a ball fitting.

⛳ Bridgestone TreoSoft - the best ball money can buy.

You can thank me later :wavey:

I used to play the tp5. I switched to the oncore elixr after playing a few rounds with them. About the same off the driver with a much softer feel off the irons. Seem slightly less spinny than a tp5, but plenty of stopping power.
I'm a yellow and green guy myself, but they also do a white.

Worth a look if you haven't tried them.

I used to play the tp5. I switched to the oncore elixr after playing a few rounds with them. About the same off the driver with a much softer feel off the irons. Seem slightly less spinny than a tp5, but plenty of stopping power.
I'm a yellow and green guy myself, but they also do a white.

Worth a look if you haven't tried them.
Big fan of that ball.

Add another vote for the Srixon lineup. The Q-Star and Q-Star Tour both feel nice, in my opinion.

If you look around, you can find Z-Stars for $20 a dozen, sometimes they are in 6 packs, other times actual dozens.
BOGO also.
When they go on sale I usually grab 5-6 DZ.
As good as any ball out there from all the testing I've seen.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Go Snell for budget-friendly golf balls. Much better than the other DTC balls out there IMO.

Back