Help me figure out a golf trip

Coloradomrg

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I've been told by a product rep that I work with that he wants to take me on a trip just to play some golf. This is a "thank you" trip, and there will be little cost to me (just pro shop expenditures, and even those may get covered). As an example: the last thank you trip he took me on, I got to see a Cubs game at Wrigley on Saturday, and a Packers game at Lambeau on Sunday with a few factory visits mixed in between Friday and Monday - and awesome food every day of the trip.

Timing is still up in the air, but likely in the spring after high school wrestling season wraps up. Can fly or drive, and we will likely want to play multiple courses.

Not trying to break the bank but wanting to have a good time - and play some places we might not play on our own. We've considered driving down through New Mexico, and then onto Phoenix/Scottsdale and then back. Stopping and playing 18+ each day. We've also discussed getting to California or Florida and playing some fair weather golf while there is likely still snow on the ground at home.

So here is where I need the collective THP mind to give me some pointers/ideas. Assume travel during March 2023, fly or drive from Colorado, overall budget probably in the $4k range. Proximity to the product reps manufacturers (all over the country) could expand the budget, but not a priority for this trip or he'd let them plan it. Think warm, typically dry weather.

New Mexico is not warm yet in March - so you would be playing in some possibly cold temps. But doable - the golf btw Taos and Albq is great. A trip of all or some Taos, Black Mesa, Santa Fe Country Club, Cochiti, and Twin Warriors would be outstanding. Paako will be snow covered still likely and not even open. Maybe even Taos and SF too.

You probably will be best with an AZ to Vegas area to Calif type trip. But note, AZ and Vegas will be in prime season - you will be paying through the nose for tee times at the best courses and paying a lot for bad courses. Plus you need to start on times soon - AZ has Super Bowl, Bowl game, Barret Jackson and Spring training - it is going to be a cluster here. Rates are already being posted up to 40% higher.

Palm Springs perhaps.

New Mexico is not warm yet in March - so you would be playing in some possibly cold temps. But doable - the golf btw Taos and Albq is great. A trip of all or some Taos, Black Mesa, Santa Fe Country Club, Cochiti, and Twin Warriors would be outstanding. Paako will be snow covered still likely and not even open. Maybe even Taos and SF too.

You probably will be best with an AZ to Vegas area to Calif type trip. But note, AZ and Vegas will be in prime season - you will be paying through the nose for tee times at the best courses and paying a lot for bad courses. Plus you need to start on times soon - AZ has Super Bowl, Bowl game, Barret Jackson and Spring training - it is going to be a cluster here. Rates are already being posted up to 40% higher.

I figured NM wouldn't be much warmer than here, just depends on what kind of winter we end up with this year. We're due for a wet one.... but I think it's just going to be cold.

Gotta save the Vegas courses for trips with the wife :ROFLMAO: Cali is definitely looking good. The east coast is so far for us...

Not a local but Southern Utah might be starting to get nice that time of year. Great courses there.

Do not overlook the Branson, MO area. Superb golf. Buffalo Ridge is a must play, IMO.
@sposey013168 can comment on weather that time of season.

And I guess I am almost obligated to mention Bandon, though weather is always a crapshoot

Branson is an interesting idea. We were out there for a lighting factory (factory was in Carthage) a couple of years ago. He doesn't rep that line anymore :)

Temps from this year weren't awesome... but were about the same we see here at home, maybe a hair warmer on average. Some days in the 70's, with the occasional late winter storms some days in freezing range :ROFLMAO:

Bandon might work, but you are right about weather potentially being an issue. I'm a play in any weather, anytime kind of guy. He's not :ROFLMAO:

Southern Utah, bout the same as here. Lucky to break into the 60's most days with a few really warm ones mixed in lol

Branson is an interesting idea. We were out there for a lighting factory (factory was in Carthage) a couple of years ago. He doesn't rep that line anymore :)

Temps from this year weren't awesome... but were about the same we see here at home, maybe a hair warmer on average. Some days in the 70's, with the occasional late winter storms some days in freezing range :ROFLMAO:

Bandon might work, but you are right about weather potentially being an issue. I'm a play in any weather, anytime kind of guy. He's not :ROFLMAO:

Southern Utah, bout the same as here. Lucky to break into the 60's most days with a few really warm ones mixed in lol
Also Bandon lodging may be an issue. I remember them being full a while back so may have to think through that one.

Lots of options in the South: Myrtle, Hilton Head, or if you stayed in Birmingham you would be 2 hours or less from 10 RTJ courses plus Pursell Farms.

San Diego is always a great option for weather and tons of great courses there.

Do not overlook the Branson, MO area. Superb golf. Buffalo Ridge is a must play, IMO.
@sposey013168 can comment on weather that time of season.

And I guess I am almost obligated to mention Bandon, though weather is always a crapshoot

I think getting tee times and lodging in Bandon 5 months out is going to be tough. We booked our april trip January of this year and had to make adjustments to our target schedule.

California, you have plenty of options. Could have a pretty great time in Monterey, but cost is going to be high, especially if you play pebble.... that could run through a majority of the budget on that round alone. San Diego always has good weather and some great courses. Palm Springs is another area I would target.

Another vote for Palm Springs or Scottsdale that time of year. So much good golf in both areas.

Back