Help me out shaft guys

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
So people in here are chopping and changing shafts all the time it seems. I do it once, and it appears I’ve ******* up my hybrids!!!!
I have M2 4 and 5 hybrids. I swapped the crappy reax shafts out for the new Recoil hybrid shafts. I chose them, because my irons have Recoils, and these Recoils are offered as an option on the M3 and M4 hybrids. The reax were 65g the Recoils are 75g. When I asked, the fitter said there would be no negative effect on swing weight.
Well, there is. The clubs feel way heavier. Really really noticeably heavier. The balance seems off too. I literally can’t hit the bloody things.
So, have I buggered up my hybrids, or is there anything I can do to sort them?

#FiberLaunch

It could be that the balance point of the shafts is different. The 10g should be equal to just about 1 swing weight point on its own.

It could be that the balance point of the shafts is different. The 10g should be equal to just about 1 swing weight point on its own.

Ok. I mean these feel waaaay different. More than 10g which I doubt I’d really be able to feel. Can the balance be changed and the swing weight bought back down. I have to say, my first attempt at tinkering, and I don’t think it’s for me LOL

#FiberLaunch

I don't know enough about those shafts to tell you what happened, but I will say that there is way more to how a shaft feels than the weight number that's printed on it.

Ok. I mean these feel waaaay different. More than 10g which I doubt I’d really be able to feel. Can the balance be changed and the swing weight bought back down. I have to say, my first attempt at tinkering, and I don’t think it’s for me LOL

#FiberLaunch

It’s possible but you’d have to do it with grips and maybe some lead tape under the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bollocks! Sounds like this is gonna be an expensive lesson. No more tinkering for me LOL.

#FiberLaunch

Yeah, if the balance point is lower plus the weight you’d notice much more of a difference.

Not sure what the best way to bring the weight up is. Other folks more well versed in tinkering might have more insight there.

If the clubs feel way heavier the balance point of the shaft might be lower causing a heavier swing weight. You could add lead tape under the grip but that would also increase overall weight and personally I'm not a fan of "tricking the swing weight." If you dont mind going shorter, cutting maybe .5 inch off the butt would decrease swing weight by about 3 points. If you have them at stock length there's plenty length there compared to 4 and 5 irons. When I played apex 3 and 4 hybrids I played them at their counterpart iron lengths which IIRC were more than .5 inch shorter than stock and had perfect gapping to 5 iron

If the clubs feel way heavier the balance point of the shaft might be lower causing a heavier swing weight. You could add lead tape under the grip but that would also increase overall weight and personally I'm not a fan of "tricking the swing weight." If you dont mind going shorter, cutting maybe .5 inch off the butt would decrease swing weight by about 3 points. If you have them at stock length there's plenty length there compared to 4 and 5 irons. When I played apex 3 and 4 hybrids I played them at their counterpart iron lengths which IIRC were more than .5 inch shorter than stock and had perfect gapping to 5 iron

My original plan was to cut them down to match my irons, but the fitter said that would screw em up. I don’t see I have anything to lose at this point, so that’s something I will probably have a look at doing then. Thanks.

#FiberLaunch

My original plan was to cut them down to match my irons, but the fitter said that would screw em up. I don’t see I have anything to lose at this point, so that’s something I will probably have a look at doing then. Thanks.

#FiberLaunch

Do you still have the original shafts?

Do you still have the original shafts?

Of course not. I told the guy I didn’t need them any more, like the dick head I am LOL.

#FiberLaunch

Of course not. I told the guy I didn’t need them any more, like the dick head I am LOL.

#FiberLaunch

Ok, not to rub salt in the wound, but lesson #1 in club hoing... never give away old components until you're 100% sure (or more) that you'll never want them again. Worst case, you can sell it on eBay if you don't want it.

Yeah lowering swingweight is tricky as adding weight under the grips tends to add a lot of weight to make a difference. If the hybrids have sliding weights then getting lighter weights from a component place like golf works is the best bet.

Yeah lowering swingweight is tricky as adding weight under the grips tends to add a lot of weight to make a difference. If the hybrids have sliding weights then getting lighter weights from a component place like golf works is the best bet.

Yeah, but then you have to worry about how much the club is going to stiffen up... assuming the shafts were properly fit for him in the first place.

On the outside looking in the hybrid shaft sounds like the logical choice.
If you are trying to match the way the original shaft worked just getting a better shaft you were better off with the Recoil iron shaft.
You can get the weight needed and the profile needed. Speaking to that point, the profile of the shaft, the where the maker puts the stiffness, appears to be in the butt and the mid section.
Making the feel a bit more harsh, Harsh feeling can be in the stiffness and add to the heavy feeling.
The previously posted suggestion of shortening the club is the quickest way to get the SW down however, the feel may not be better.

On the outside looking in the hybrid shaft sounds like the logical choice.
If you are trying to match the way the original shaft worked just getting a better shaft you were better off with the Recoil iron shaft.
You can get the weight needed and the profile needed. Speaking to that point, the profile of the shaft, the where the maker puts the stiffness, appears to be in the butt and the mid section.
Making the feel a bit more harsh, Harsh feeling can be in the stiffness and add to the heavy feeling.
The previously posted suggestion of shortening the club is the quickest way to get the SW down however, the feel may not be better.

So just so I have this correct, I currently play the 760 ES SmacWrap shafts in my P790’s. You are saying this shaft would work in my hybrid also? My original plan was to upgrade the shaft, and try and create the same sort of feeling from my hybrids through my irons (something I have so far failed with spectacularly LOL).

#FiberLaunch

So just so I have this correct, I currently play the 760 ES SmacWrap shafts in my P790’s. You are saying this shaft would work in my hybrid also? My original plan was to upgrade the shaft, and try and create the same sort of feeling from my hybrids through my irons (something I have so far failed with spectacularly LOL).

#FiberLaunch

I will have to try these out Sunday to see if you are just being mental or not LOL

I will have to try these out Sunday to see if you are just being mental or not LOL

Funny you should say that, because if you are still playing the Cleveland hybrids, I want a bash with those.

#FiberLaunch

Funny you should say that, because if you are still playing the Cleveland hybrids, I want a bash with those.

#FiberLaunch

Our group didn't get any hybrids so can't help you there. I'm rocking the M1 hybrids atm.

Back