Help me pick a home simulator.

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I have decided to get a simulator for the house. I have done a fair amount of research but I am more confused than ever on what I should buy. I see simulator packages from companies such as About Golf that claim to give you ball and club data but is it accurate? The GC2 and quad seem to be the best launch monitors to build a sim with but I would prefer to buy a complete system instead of piecing it all together. I see used sims for sale but I worry about getting it all set up and finding out I need to upgrade the software/license to make it work. That would suck to try and save money on a used system only to find out later it would have been cheaper to go with all new stuff.

I can spend up to 15 grand for the right setup but of course I would prefer to spend about half that. I am wanting accurate club and ball data with a lifelike playing experience. Lots of courses and extra practice modes are a must.

If you had 15 grand to spend on a sim what would you buy?

Certified pre-owned quads are available for 10k. I can forward the email if interested.

If picking between the GC2 and Quad for a sim, I’d go with the GC2. They’re Bluetooth is unlocked so that leaves you more software options to pick from.

Certified pre-owned quads are available for 10k. I can forward the email if interested.

I got that email from Foresight. That is on the high end of what I want to spend but if it is the best option for me than so be it. I believe if you want club data with a GC2 then I would need another piece of hardware HMT? that would bring the cost of a GC2 to about the same as a quad correct? @Molten, if you were buying a new "or used" complete simulator setup what would you get? You can break my 15g budget but try to stay under 20 complete. Is there a simulator in a box so to speak that can give me accurate ball and club data with a lot of courses and practice modes? JB mentioned you like the new Hawk at the show.

If picking between the GC2 and Quad for a sim, I’d go with the GC2. They’re Bluetooth is unlocked so that leaves you more software options to pick from.

I understand what you are saying but I do not know how it would influence my decision. Can you go into detail a bit? Thank you sir.

I got that email from Foresight. That is on the high end of what I want to spend but if it is the best option for me than so be it. I believe if you want club data with a GC2 then I would need another piece of hardware HMT? that would bring the cost of a GC2 to about the same as a quad correct? @Molten, if you were buying a new "or used" complete simulator setup what would you get? You can break my 15g budget but try to stay under 20 complete. Is there a simulator in a box so to speak that can give me accurate ball and club data with a lot of courses and practice modes? JB mentioned you like the new Hawk at the show.

For club data with the GC2, yes you would need HMT. If I was doing a full build (I did a year ago) I stand by my quad choice but I know plenty of people who are completely over the moon with the GC2 (Rusty Dave for example).

As far as a simulator in a box, do you mean enclosure in a box or a buy it all at once and be done with it (soup to nuts) situation?

As far as the hawk, I love the idea but I’ve never used it. It would be great for my set up and would let me left handed friends play too.

I understand what you are saying but I do not know how it would influence my decision. Can you go into detail a bit? Thank you sir.

Sure. If you were interested in playing golf courses on the simulator with the Quad you are restricted to Foresight’s course software. With the GC2 you can use third part software like JNPG and TGC. TGC 2019 looks pretty great too (I enjoy the original TGC already). I’ve already built a recreation of a course by me in TGC 2019 which is spot on thanks to a new tool developed by the community. What would have taken me hundreds of hours took only about 5 so far.

For club data with the GC2, yes you would need HMT. If I was doing a full build (I did a year ago) I stand by my quad choice but I know plenty of people who are completely over the moon with the GC2 (Rusty Dave for example).

As far as a simulator in a box, do you mean enclosure in a box or a buy it all at once and be done with it (soup to nuts) situation?

As far as the hawk, I love the idea but I’ve never used it. It would be great for my set up and would let me left handed friends play too.

Soup to nuts "and beer"

Sure. If you were interested in playing golf courses on the simulator with the Quad you are restricted to Foresight’s course software. With the GC2 you can use third part software like JNPG and TGC. TGC 2019 looks pretty great too (I enjoy the original TGC already). I’ve already built a recreation of a course by me in TGC 2019 which is spot on thanks to a new tool developed by the community. What would have taken me hundreds of hours took only about 5 so far.

Thank you for the explanation.

Soup to nuts "and beer"

The technical answer is yes, but the best answer is no. You can go soup to beer on the enclosure, projector, and maybe even computer. But I recommend buying the LM independently because it’s already expensive and any additional mark up is unnecessary. You can simply tell the soup to nuts people what system you have and they can design it correctly.

PM me if you want some recommendations - I’ll tell you who I used (May not be until later tonight when I can respond).

You build a sim. You see a lot of me. Hope you don’t mind me living in your garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you need club data go with the quad. If you dont need club data go with the gc2.

There are some other quality of life upgrades between the gc2 and quad, but unless those items push you over the edge go with the gc2.

I love my gc2 and cant wait to finish my build.

My only thing i really recommend is thinking through where you put the sim. I cant hit driver in mine because i just dont have the clearance. If hitting every club in your bag is major consideration for you, make sure you really measure out your space.

You build a sim. You see a lot of me. Hope you don’t mind me living in your garage

Is that what it will take to hang out with you LOL? I am already planning the party to break it in. I have not mentioned the full bar "with bar stools" and leather recliners at the back of the room. My wife is the greatest most understanding women on earth for allowing this HA!!

The technical answer is yes, but the best answer is no. You can go soup to beer on the enclosure, projector, and maybe even computer. But I recommend buying the LM independently because it’s already expensive and any additional mark up is unnecessary. You can simply tell the soup to nuts people what system you have and they can design it correctly.

PM me if you want some recommendations - I’ll tell you who I used (May not be until later tonight when I can respond).

I will pm you after work this evening. A quick phone call will probably save a bunch of typing. Thanks Molten!!

Is that what it will take to hang out with you LOL? I am already planning the party to break it in. I have not mentioned the full bar "with bar stools" and leather recliners at the back of the room. My wife is the greatest most understanding women on earth for allowing this HA!!

“Don’t get into the golf business if you want to play more golf”

Hey man....just wondering if you might still get updates on these certified pre owned Quads?

If I put a simulator in my basement, with a 1’ sunken floor......how much room do I need from left to right for everything else? It would end up being a 10’ tall ceiling

If I put a simulator in my basement, with a 1’ sunken floor......how much room do I need from left to right for everything else? It would end up being a 10’ tall ceiling
10’ tall ceilings are fine. Width is really up to you. I usually would say a bare minimum of 10 ft, but I bet others could get it done less if they really needed to.

Hey man....just wondering if you might still get updates on these certified pre owned Quads?
I haven’t seen any available in a long time. The only CPO stuff I’ve seen is GC2 these days

10’ tall ceilings are fine. Width is really up to you. I usually would say a bare minimum of 10 ft, but I bet others could get it done less if they really needed to.
Pretty sure I’ll ha e at least 13’-15’ from left to right

I haven’t seen any available in a long time. The only CPO stuff I’ve seen is GC2 these days
I just went to their website and submitted a subscription and for info.

Pretty sure I’ll ha e at least 13’-15’ from left to right
That shouldn’t be much of an issue. Price it all out, with mats, screen, etc as a lot of the little things add up pretty quickly. Including install.

Basement ceilings will be 9’ but in a 15’x15’ ish space we will have the basement drop a foot down to allow for a 10’ ceiling in that area

Keep in mind that I don’t need to do anything until probably late next year. But if I don’t prep pan the space with the builder then I won’t ever get it in lol

Back