Help me pick a new (ish) driver!

Nick20UK

Reaction score
I keep glancing at my rather sad looking scuffed and scratched Cobra M-Speed Offset driver, which is 16 years old now, and thinking its about time I updated it. Don't get me wrong it's ok , but I think I'm probably missing out on newer materials and more advanced tech nowadays.

I'm roughly a 20 handicapper, so am obviously looking for the moon on a stick, i.e. something that give me more distance, more forgiveness, and I'm also a sucker for adjustability.

However, my budget is about £250 max ($350), ideally £200 ($275) or under.

I've just bought a set of Cobra irons so a matching driver would be nice. Something like the F9 Speedback.

I've also seen the TaylorMade M5 which has more adjustability than I've ever seen in a club! Which I like because I'm planning on having some lessons, so can reconfigure it as and when needed.

So I'm after some other recommendations from you lot. I don't even mind if it's second hand and 3-5 years old, as long as it performs well on distance and forgiveness and has a bit of adjustability (loft as a minimum, draw weighting as a bonus).

Take a look at the Mavrik Max on callaway preowned. Plenty of forgiveness and adjustability.

I think, if you can tolerate the commercials you can get a new gen 4 driver from PXG in your price range? they have had some very good sales prices. and I play the 0811 X for now, it has been pleasantly surprising to me. Also Ping G400 or G410?

I currently play a Cobra speedzone xtreme and it's pretty forgiving all across the face. As an added bonus, the infinity face protects against sky-marks. At least I've heard it does...from a friend.
I would never sky the ball 😆
Anyway, should be in your price range and it's probably the most forgiving driver I've ever had.

The Mizunos are an excellent value as well.

Callaway Mavrik had good reviews last year.
Callaway BB21 had good reviews last year
Callaway Epic Speed has good reviews this year.

Notice the trend?:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I picked up a Mavrik driver the other week and while I've only hit it once or twice, it's longer than my previous driver, straighter, and more forgiving.

If you're not wanting to look at Callaway take a look at Tour Edge. Sneaky good quality at a :oops: price. That :oops: is an "It's HOW LOW!!" price.
Tour Edge HL4, HL5, C521, E521, and 721's... someone here on THP really liked having it in his bag @Jman can tell you about it.

You can't go wrong with almost any driver today... they're so much better than previous versions.

Ooh! Forgot Mizuno. I've got their ST-190 3W. NICE club. I imagine the driver is just as nice. And affordable.

Lots of Cobra Speedzones out there if you're right handed. Heck, lots of choices out there for right hand drivers.

I keep glancing at my rather sad looking scuffed and scratched Cobra M-Speed Offset driver, which is 16 years old now, and thinking its about time I updated it. Don't get me wrong it's ok , but I think I'm probably missing out on newer materials and more advanced tech nowadays.

I'm roughly a 20 handicapper, so am obviously looking for the moon on a stick, i.e. something that give me more distance, more forgiveness, and I'm also a sucker for adjustability.

I've just bought a set of Cobra irons so a matching driver would be nice. Something like the F9 Speedback.

I've also seen the TaylorMade M5 which has more adjustability than I've ever seen in a club! Which I like because I'm planning on having some lessons, so can reconfigure it as and when needed.

So I'm after some other recommendations from you lot. I don't even mind if it's second hand and 3-5 years old, as long as it performs well on distance and forgiveness and has a bit of adjustability (loft as a minimum, draw weighting as a bonus).
A brand new shiny Callaway, excellent driver 👌.

You mentioned the M5, but don’t over look this budget friendly club which is still outstanding...

Lightly used Tour Edge Exotics EXS or EXS 220.

Another vote for the Mavrik Max. Last year's driver, but plenty of good tech in it and it's very forgiving.

Another vote for the Mavrik Max. Last year's driver, but plenty of good tech in it and it's very forgiving.
Too expensive

Too expensive
Can you buy from Callaway Certified Pre-Owned over there? They currently have Mav Max' in a variety of shaft flexes, in "like new" condition (which, 99 times out of 100, means "indistinguishable from new in box"), for $280 U.S., which is $70 U.S. under your upper limit. (I've no idea what shipping would be.)

Callaway CPO ships to the U.K. Here's their shipping page: Callaway CPO Shipping Methods, Rates & Restrictions

@Nick20UK, Look for an incoming P.M. Let's see if we can get you hooked-up :)

Last edited:
If you definitely want Cobra the Cobra King Speedzone Xtreme Driver sounds like a good fit for you. Forgiving. Adjustable. Brand new on Cobras website they are 299 US. Can be found online for 200 or less US. I played one of these for a year. Only club that beat it out was my Ping G400 Max. I just stripe fairways all day with that Driver. It’s not quite as long but very forgiving. They may be in your price range as well.

Cheers guys. Some great suggestions.

I can find the Mavrik Max and Rogue in my budget second hand no problem. In fact all of the following can be found on ebay in my budget.

Can't get on with the PXG styling personally so gonna rule that one out.

I like the look of the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme, and it would go with my irons.

Ping G400 SFT also looks a good option and Ping make great drivers recently.

TaylorMade M1 is a great shout. I hadn't considered that. I maybe just assumed it'd be older and less well performing.

I hadn't heard of the Tour EXS brand so thanks for that. Very interesting. After some reading it seems it gets quite. A high ball flight, which I'm trying to reduce as I tend to hit it a bit high. Loft reduction helps but I'm ideally after a 10.5 deg with a mid launching shaft.

Lastly the Mizuno ST190G. It just so happens there's one on Ebay right now for £200 delivered Buy It Now, excellent condition, Stiff Tensei Orange shaft (lower launching) and Midsize Lamkin grip. Which is the EXACT spec I want even down to the grip which I was planning on redoing myself. Maybe fate! And they are supposed to be extremely forgiving drivers too.

I think I might go for the Mizuno and if I really don't get on with it just sell it and move on to the next one on the list.

Last edited:
This is a great driver, sounds perfect for what you are looking for.
I love the orange/black on these too. They are the colours of my football/soccer team which makes me biased towards it! Definitely on the 1st reserve list after the Mizuno.

Hmmm. I've just realized the Mizuno is a gloss black top rather than matte. Which I'm really not a fan of, and will be thinking that every time I look down at it. Same with the Mavrik Max really, though the black/orange is appealing in that one.

So now I'm probably back to the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme now.

As you can tell, I'm Mr. Decisive :p

For the money, I don’t think you can beat a ST200G. I found mine a while back for $150 shipped for the head and adapter only.

Now I have a RadSpeed XB, which is definitely better

I think so much of this is about the shaft and that is about a person. The cobra speedzone is great. tour edge is very good as well.

@Nick20UK, you have a PM.
Hmmm. I've just realized the Mizuno is a gloss black top rather than matte. Which I'm really not a fan of, and will be thinking that every time I look down at it. Same with the Mavrik Max really, ...
I'm not a fan of gloss finishes, either. (Absolutely detest shiny black plastic!) But the finish on the Mav MAX' crowns, which isn't really black, per se, doesn't distract me. Was hitting my 4h the other day and, TBH, didn't even notice it.

TourEdge C721 is a great driver in your price range!

I would recommend getting the most recent model from an OEM with the most up-to-date tech as you can afford. I just think the tech in the last three years has gotten so much better across the face that I would shy away from anything older than three years old. Plus you keep a driver for a long time so you deserve the best your budget gets you.

So many choices to choose from if you can somehow hit a few and get some comfort over the ball including the shaft that would be great but like I said there’s so many good options out there… Good luck.

You should buy them all, extensively test them .select the best fit for purpose , then set up eBay powerseller Store and flog them off 😂😂😀😀at premium.

😳😃

You should buy them all, extensively test them .select the best fit for purpose , then set up eBay powerseller Store and flog them off 😂😂😀😀at premium.

😳😃
Lol that had crossed my mind!

Back