Help My Find My 14th Club

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently playing the setup below. As you can see that totals 13 clubs. I have a 60* TaylorMade HI Toe Wedge that is my favorite LW I have ever tried, but I just never reach for that club since I am so confident with my 54*. That is certainly 1 candidate for the last slot and I have considered a 5 wood as well. All that said since I am undecided on where to go and my gapping is good with this setup I thought THP could talk me into something interesting to try so have at it.

Driver
FW
2 Hybrids
5,6,7,7,8,9,PW irons
54* Wedge
Putter

Last edited:
Maybe a 58 would be better than 60. I never loved the 60 but do like the 58 a lot. I 5W might work but would there be overlap with the 3 hybrid usually they cover about the same distance.

Last edited:
is your FW a 3 wood?
is your hybrids 3-4?

if your comfortable with the 54* with all shots inside 100 yards than my answer would be 5 wood? but jeez id want to keep the 60* in play though..

is your FW a 3 wood?
is your hybrids 3-4?

if your comfortable with the 54* with all shots inside 100 yards than my answer would be 5 wood? but jeez id want to keep the 60* in play though..
My FW is a 16.5* Hybrids are 19* and 22*. Haven't had the 60 in the bag for over a month and haven't missed it one time.

How about a 3/4 utility iron? Could be fun .

Two 7 irons?

Just carry a second driver so people know you mean business. Maybe a 48' at 5.5 degrees.
That's a fairly long driver. I'm sure the limit is 48". Not even sure how you'd get a 48' driver to the course. :geek::eek:

That was my thought. After letting it sit in my bag essentially unused for the better part of a year, I’ve recently fallen in love with my Ping G 4 Crossover.

It works great from the tee, fairway, and light rough. I’ve started using it even more than my hybrid, which was my previous comfort club.

Your bag is setup just like mine. If your gaping is ok, then add the 60* in there and use it.
That's what I did and am very happy with my setup.

LOL! That's my 47* PW
That explains a lot. Seems most PWs are 46* or less, which would seem to be a big gap to your 54*, so I was thinking a nice 50* wedge would be a good fit. Still could be, but your wedge gap isn't as big as I first thought. :confused2:

i'm in the high lofted wedge camp. i avoid the flop at all costs, but sometimes it's needed. i'm not saying you can't do it with a 54, but i think a 58 or 60 would make the most sense just in case.

I have been eyeballing a utility iron. I have visions of Tiger stingers and long rollers on par 5's dancing in my head LOL!

i'm in the high lofted wedge camp. i avoid the flop at all costs, but sometimes it's needed. i'm not saying you can't do it with a 54, but i think a 58 or 60 would make the most sense just in case.
Agree, my newest Vokey 54* is the F grind with 14* of bounce. It's a no fear wedge. I can hit the ground as hard as I want with no digging. For me that makes it super versatile. You would be surprised how high I can hit it on pitches. I rarly release a bit too so getting the ball in the air is not a problem as much as getting distance is.

I’d be asking if there are any gaps in distance that you want filled, or specific shot types you want to try that you lack with current setup.

I have a similar makeup in my bag (but start at 6i), and have my gaps covered. I just added a 4 iron that I play here and there, when I want to hit low shots that run, since I hit it much lower than my hybrid of the same loft

I’d be asking if there are any gaps in distance that you want filled, or specific shot types you want to try that you lack with current setup.

I have a similar makeup in my bag (but start at 6i), and have my gaps covered. I just added a 4 iron that I play here and there, when I want to hit low shots that run, since I hit it much lower than my hybrid of the same loft
This is what I did. I ordered a U510 2 iron from Titleist. It's coming this week. Probably not going to be super helpful during our winter mush around here, but I will get a month of dry fall to see what I can do with it. My plans are some tee shots, most punch outs, and advancing the ball down the fairway for par 5 2nd shots.

60* Wedge? Or switch to 52-56 from the 47* PW to decrease the wedge gap there? Or a higher lofted fairway for going after a green in 2 on par 5s or something?

Id get rid of one of those 7 irons and add a 5 wood as well as a 58 deg wedge.

Do you need a 14th club? I've played 13 clubs for years. 1 FW (4-wood), hybrid 5-LW. The only 'gap' I was the extremely rare time I was between my hybrid and FW. But it was rare I needed anything that range. And when I tried an extra driving iron/hybrid, I found that it led to more deliberation about shots without any positive results.

I went back to 13 and called it a day.

Just carry a second driver so people know you mean business. Maybe a 48' at 5.5 degrees.

I’ve got a LD driver at 2.5* with a XXX flex (no ****) 110 gram shaft.

It has been fun, at times.

I did tell my kid today that people will take him serious if he carries a 14 driver bag, lol.

We’ll see if he can convert.

Id get rid of one of those 7 irons and add a 5 wood as well as a 58 deg wedge.
One 7 iron is a 30* T200 Player distance. The other is a 35* 718 forged CB. They are not the same club at all. I would go from 145 with the T200 7 iron down to 125 with the 718 8 iron. Or from 135 with the 718 7 iron to 155 with my 6 iron. Those are unacceptable gaps in my bag.

I’ve got a LD driver at 2.5* with a XXX flex (no ****) 110 gram shaft.

It has been fun, at times.
I would love to give that a shot and see if I can get ahold of one. I can’t imagine it’s easy to hit one straight with that.

Back