Help My Find My 14th Club

Umm... maybe a club to fill the gap that you've got with your 2 7irons? Something to split the difference there?

I would love to give that a shot and see if I can get ahold of one. I can’t imagine it’s easy to hit one straight with that.

It’s not easy. You have to hit 7-8* up on it. I haven’t tried to hit it since my accident. I don’t have the CHS I had prior to. It always took me a few swings too once I went back to regular driver.

You certainly have to commit to the shot, lol.

One 7 iron is a 30* T200 Player distance. The other is a 35* 718 forged CB. They are not the same club at all. I would go from 145 with the T200 7 iron down to 125 with the 718 8 iron. Or from 135 with the 718 7 iron to 155 with my 6 iron.
The gapping story, and two 7 irons doesn't make sense to me. I would get the lofts checked on your set as there shouldn't be that big of a discrepancy. I would add a higher lofted wedge-58 or so. Would make life easier in the scoring zone, deep greenside bunkers, rough etc.

The gapping story, and two 7 irons doesn't make sense to me. I would get the lofts checked on your set as there shouldn't be that big of a discrepancy. I would add a higher lofted wedge-58 or so. Would make life easier in the scoring zone, deep greenside bunkers, rough etc.
It doesn't make sense that a Titleist T200 7 iron at 30* doesn't go the same distance as a Titleist 718 CB 7 iron at 35*? What doesnt make sense about that?

I have a 60* TaylorMade HI Toe (see OP) and I literally never pull it out of the bag.

Umm... maybe a club to fill the gap that you've got with your 2 7irons? Something to split the difference there?
I don't have a gap, I would have a gap if I got rid of one of them.

Haha, well, there you go. No need to change that section of your bag.:ROFLMAO:

What doesn't make sense is that if you have a set of irons, whether they be Callaway, Mizuno etc. that there is such a wide gap between the 6-7-8 irons.
My 6 iron is a Titleist T300
My 1st 7 iron is a Titleist T200
My 2nd 7 iron is a Titleist 718 CB
My 8 iron is a Titleist 718 CB

They aren't the same clubs. That's 4 clubs from 3 different product lines for different forgiveness levels depending on what I need out of that distance.

My 6 iron is a Titleist T300
My 1st 7 iron is a Titleist T200
My 2nd 7 iron is a Titleist 718 CB
My 8 iron is a Titleist 718 CB
You could always adjust the loft of one of the 7 irons. Then you can add 2 clubs to your bag.

You could always adjust the loft of one of the 7 irons. Then you can add 2 clubs to your bag.
Why would I do that when the gapping is right? You're hung up on two 7 irons and not on my gapping. If I played all T300's and T200's I would have a GW the same loft as my PW and have 1 of each club. If I played all 718 CB's I would have a 4 iron on top of the 5 iron. That extra 7 is just a number. It is an essential club. It's not taking another clubs space.

Now the title of this thread has a whole new meaning...20200929_155210.jpg

I went to Golf Galaxy to try out a driving iron on Saturday. I hit the TaylorMade SIM UDI at 18*. After a few swipes to warm up I got cranking with it and learned I just don't have the swing speed to make something like that work. While there I hit a SIM Max 5 wood and really cranked it out there. Averaging about 210 which is longer than my average with my current 4 wood. I went ahead and tried the 3 wood too and lo and behold I was hitting it about 220 and cranked one 225 with it. Now the 14th club may be a 2 for 1 deal. I bought tye SIM Max 5 wood yesterday. I am thinking I may wait a bit and try to get the SIM Ti 3 wood in the changeover season when discounting occurs.

I for one totally get the 2 7i. You are playing a mixed set of irons and need them to gap correctly. Nothing wrong with that. My question is when you look back at your rounds, where do you find you have the most struggles. I would be looking to add some help wherever that is.

Left-handed 9-iron (assuming you play right-handed). It comes in real handy if you pay courses that have tree-lined fairways or deep bunkers.

I would go with a 58* SM8 Vokey wedge in a K grind. Ridiculously easy from green side bunkers. I use the 60* and it’s like cheating!!

Back