golfer_teej

is it spring time yet?
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm reshafting a set of Ping G2s and I can't for the life of me get the heads off. I usually use a heat gun but it wasnt budging it, so I got a torch and tried and still couldn't move it. Any help would be appreciated.

Shaft extractor plus heat, patience, heat, patience, and more heat. They are .355 tapers that are hammered in that could hold without epoxy but they added epoxy to created almost a permanent bond. FYI stand away from the head when it flies off lay down something to catch the head softly and avoid a brand oddly resembling a Ping iron head.

Shaft extractor plus heat, patience, heat, patience, and more heat. They are .355 tapers that are hammered in that could hold without epoxy but they added epoxy to created almost a permanent bond. FYI stand away from the head when it flies off lay down something to catch the head softly and avoid a brand oddly resembling a Ping iron head.
Gonna give this a try, but I don't have an extractor, so heat and rubber mallet might be my best option

Gonna give this a try, but I don't have an extractor, so heat and rubber mallet might be my best option
Be wary of manipulating the lie angle with a mallet and heat. Another option is cut it off near flush then heat but use a extractor like for damaged screws to remove the shaft. Attached a link but any hardware store should have similar.

Be wary of manipulating the lie angle with a mallet and heat. Another option is cut it off near flush then heat but use a extractor like for damaged screws to remove the shaft. Attached a link but any hardware store should have similar.
Oh yes... Thanks for mentioning the lie angle

If the shafts are steel just keep heating the hosel and where the shaft goes into the hosel then twist the head loose then off. Sounds like you're not using enough heat.

Well all but the 4 iron is off, I might just take it in to the golf store. I think I used the heat gun for 10 minutes on it and still no budge. The 5 and 6 took a while but the 9 and PW came right off. Thanks for suggestions!

The Ping's can be a PITA some times, even with a good shaft extractor.

When I run into a Ping iron shaft that is being difficult, I set the shaft and head in the vice in a vertical position with the hosel about a 1/4" off the vice pads while use a lever to create upwards pressure at the hosel while heating. I don't use heat guns unless I'm working with metal wood heads. A propane/butane torch with small nozzle/tip works much faster. You can always use some "Blue Away" if the hosel gets a little discolored.

Works every time.

Back