Help with a reshaft - KBS C Taper S or R+?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Hi guys and gals,

I recently bought a great "vintage" set of Mizuno blades that I want to reshaft into KBS C Tapers. I like the lower ball flight of the tapers and the shot dispersion was slightly better with the Tapers when compared to the KBS Tour S/X and the PX6.0. The weight also helps my transition at the top. The set currently has DGS300 but I'm having problems controlling ball flight and the shafts feel really soft when hit well. UNFORTUNATELY at the Mizuno optimizer cart the golf shop didn't have a CT R+ to demo, only the stiff and xstiff. The XStiff was way too stout for me and the KBS tours were a little too high/soft, and the PX6.0'S were well...just a bit off? Is there any way that you guys can estimate if the R+ would work if I go the Taper route? My irons have a little bit weaker lofts than the MP 4's.

Here are some numbers with the Mizuno MP 4 6 iron @ 30* loft...

CTs:
CH Speed: 83.1
Ball Speed: 120.5
LA: 16.6
Total Spin: 5918
Ascent:30
Descent:45
Carry:170
TD:183
Offline:10

CTx:
CH Speed: 81.9
Ball Speed: 118.8
LA: 16.9
Total Spin: 5610
Carry:168
TD:182
Offline:10

KBS Tour S:
CH Speed: 85.7
Ball Speed: 118.8
LA: 16.4
Total Spin: 6106
Carry:168
TD:182
Offline:16

KBS Tour x:
CH Speed: 83.2
Ball Speed: 120.6
LA: 17.2
Total Spin: 5964
Ascent:31
Descent:46
Carry:170
TD:183
Offline:14

Project X 6.0:
CH Speed: 84.4
Ball Speed: 118
LA: 17
Total Spin: 6124
Carry:164
TD:178
Offline:22

I would love to hear your feedback on any of these shafts. I liked the dispersion of the C Tapers the best otherwise they all look pretty similar. Interesting that the KBS S had such a higher clubhead speed but average to lower end ball speed? I thought it was especially interesting considering it was with the exact same clubhead. Ball speed must have been impacted by how the shaft was loading and unloading into the ball?

Thanks for the help. I would like to buy these shafts this week to install myself!

Cheers,

Sean

I would tend to go the R+ route. I think you'll like the smoothness yet kick of the R+ a bit more than the S. My 6-iron clubhead is around 93-95mph and I'm gaming the S. I tried the S+ and those babies were STOUT. NO joke. I'm thinking the R+ would be sweet for you. I LOVE the C Taper shaft too. I have them in my Apex and Legacy Blacks. Just an amazing shaft.

The numbers you are getting from the CTs look good to me they play a 1/2 flex stiffer then listed flex if you liked the s flex just go with it

Honestly, all of them felt nice :act-up:. Even the X flex, I could feel the shaft kick, it didn't feel boardy...but I don't want a shaft that I "feel" that I have to get after 100% of the time (if that makes sense?). All I want, (geez,...me me me!) is a shaft that has a nice low, penetrating flight and a smooth feel. Does that make sense?

Nice to see another Cali resident BTW!

How do my numbers look? Are the spin rates high enough?

How do my numbers look? Are the spin rates high enough?

I believe ideal for a 6 iron is 16* launch 6000 rpm and 45 decent the Ctaper S flex look very close if you launch a bit higher you can have less spin

I don't believe there is an 'optimum' for irons as such.

You want to strike the balance between carry distance and angle of descent. You should aim for an angle of descent of 45*-50* with your 6 iron and the closer towards 50* the quicker your ball will stop.

Should I soft step the CTaper Stiff, or should I just go straight up R+? Is there any difference between the two...? If I soft step the S, is it the same as just playing straight R+?

Softstepping the CTS will give you around 5.9fcm, whereas the CTR+ will give you around 5.7fcm.

This is not a huge difference so you may be better choosing based on whether or not you prefer the marginally heavier (s) or marginally lighter (R+) shaft weight. :act-up:

Should I soft step the CTaper Stiff, or should I just go straight up R+? Is there any difference between the two...? If I soft step the S, is it the same as just playing straight R+?
Hi lowfi, we're in the same ballpark swingspeed-wise with a 6 iron and I play the Adams CMB irons with stiff C-tapers and they are perfect for me. My last set had KBS Tour and I hit them too high, but the CT has a great trajectory and are longer AND have better dispersion than the Tour for me. I have seen mention that Adams may have soft stepped these Stiff shafts to a stiff- but I haven't seen a confirmation of this. If you are debating between s- or r+ I would definitely go with the S- if you don't go all the way to Stiff.

BTW I hit the MP-4s last month at a Golf Expo here and they WILL be my next set of irons, unless I win the lotto and can afford some Muira Baby Blades :D

I actually did see that about the adams! Did you suggest staying with the S- to keep the shaft weight up?

I actually did see that about the adams! Did you suggest staying with the S- to keep the shaft weight up?
Yeah, I've always played DG300s before going to KBS and like the heavier shaft. For me heavier is better. I have more feel throughout the swing with a heavier shaft and have also added lead tape to my irons to increase the weight even more than standard. But obviously that's just personal preference.

Back