Help With Re-Gripping Choices?

You could always do it yourself!
Discussed in my earlier "Are These Clubs Worth Re-Gripping?" thread. Don't really want to go there, right now. Plus, as I wrote above: I want to see & feel before I buy. It's my policy that if I use a brick & mortar store's resources to check a product out, I buy from a brick & mortar store.

Of the three, I've never had a Winn grip hold up well in high humidity. Your hands get sweaty, they just get slick as all hell. Rain, hahahaha forget about it.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna write-off the Winn grips. With all due respect to those in this thread who spoke in favor of them, I've been reading too many negatives.

If cost is any issue, the tour velvets are still a fine grip used on tour.
*nod* It looks like it's going to be between the Tour Velvet, Tour Velvet +4, and Lamkin Crossline (if black is really what they have in stock). If none of those appeal, I guess I'll have to punt.

I'm still wondering about the GP CP2 Pro grips, though. They don't seem to get any love?

Thanks, y'all, for the additional comments. Appreciate it :)

Discussed in my earlier "Are These Clubs Worth Re-Gripping?" thread. Don't really want to go there, right now. Plus, as I wrote above: I want to see & feel before I buy. It's my policy that if I use a brick & mortar store's resources to check a product out, I buy from a brick & mortar store.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna write-off the Winn grips. With all due respect to those in this thread who spoke in favor of them, I've been reading too many negatives.

*nod* It looks like it's going to be between the Tour Velvet, Tour Velvet +4, and Lamkin Crossline (if black is really what they have in stock). If none of those appeal, I guess I'll have to punt.

Thanks, y'all, for the additional comments. Appreciate it :)

So if you're in a high heat and high humidity, I'd go with a cord. The regular TV's to me get kinda slick when you can't keep your hands dry, and that's even with a drying agent on my hands. The SS's weren't bad, but they weren't perfect either. You had to keep them dry for them to hold up. MCC's do well, but same problem IMO. Sometimes it just sucks when you can't keep your hands dry!

I respectfully disagree with JB. I find the dritacs to be much more comfortable than the golf pride. I also think they handle moisture, ie. rain and sweaty hands better. One thing the dritacs do not do is hold up like the golf pride.
The Dri-Tacs are the most comfortable grips I've ever played. I don't have much experience with rain, but plenty with sweaty hands in the summer out here, and they grip well IMO - never had a problem with that. I do agree 100% about the durability, though - I get about a year out of a set of Dri-Tacs and they're pretty worn out by then. I just accept it and replace them annually, since I like the grips so much.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations, everybody!

Re: Some of the off-list suggestions: The plan is to get them re-gripped at my local golf store--where I can actually see & feel the grips. Some of the recommended grips they do not carry. They do carry the Lamkin Crossline. It's listed as black, but pictured as the... houndstooth pattern is the best I can describe it. That wouldn't work. I'll have to see at the store what they actually have. The GP MCC and MCC +4 is out of the question. They may have lots of colors, but they'd all look pretty horrendous on my sticks.

Here's the color of the shafts:

Filament_Wound-9pct.JPG

That color to the left-hand side is at the top of the shafts. I'm pretty much limited to black or very dark gray grips not to have them stand out like a sore thumb :(

The Winn Dri-Tac material not being very robust is a disappointment. Then again: If I take up golf intensely enough to wear them out in a season, like as not I'll be wanting up upgrade my clubs, anyway, so maybe that won't be an issue.

I'll see how the GP TV +4, Winn Dri-Tac, and Lamkin Crossline look & feel at the store and make my decision then.

What about the Golf Pride CP2 grips?

They are all great choices.

Like OldeDude says, grip them yourself. You can experiment a lot cheaper that way also.;)

Very easy to do.

Like the GP TV Taylor Made 360's in a dark grey. Overall, prefer anything Lamkin.

The Dri-Tacs are the most comfortable grips I've ever played. I don't have much experience with rain, but plenty with sweaty hands in the summer out here, and they grip well IMO - never had a problem with that. I do agree 100% about the durability, though - I get about a year out of a set of Dri-Tacs and they're pretty worn out by then. I just accept it and replace them annually, since I like the grips so much.
Same for me, I just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I went. I saw. I fondled. Between the GP TVs, Lamkin Crosslines, and GP CP2 Pros, the CP2 Pros felt far-and-away the best in my hands. They were also, of the three, the one the guy that was assisting me felt would be best in sweaty hands. Of the three, they were the ones in which I had the most confidence my club would be least likely to follow the ball down-range with anything less than a death grip. And, if I'm being totally honest with myself, the red detailing on a black grip drew me :) So that's what's being fitted to my clubs.

Thanks, again, everybody, for your invaluable input. It's truly appreciated.

Picked up the clubs yesterday afternoon. The results:

GP_CP2_Pro_grip-18pct.JPG

I'm pleased with the appearance. Came out about as well as I could have expected for grips that weren't specifically designed to match the shafts' colors.

Unsurprisingly, they're a vast improvement over the old, worn grips. Being midsize, with minimal taper, they fill my large hands much better than did the standard grips that had been on the clubs. They felt almost too tacky at first, but, after a few swings they felt just right. My hands became slightly damp during practice, yesterday, but my grip wasn't affected in the least.

Best of all: I think they've helped my swing. Now that I don't feel like I have to maintain a death grip on the club to maintain alignment, my wrists and arms are much more relaxed through the swing. I'm getting good hits on the ball much more consistently
banana.gif

If someone is interested in changing out grips and want to save a couple of dollars, Lamkin has a couple of coupons on their web page. Free grip and install for one club, and if you purchase 8 grips, you get another free. So you can get 10 grips for the price of 8.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations, everybody!

Re: Some of the off-list suggestions: The plan is to get them re-gripped at my local golf store--where I can actually see & feel the grips. Some of the recommended grips they do not carry. They do carry the Lamkin Crossline. It's listed as black, but pictured as the... houndstooth pattern is the best I can describe it. That wouldn't work. I'll have to see at the store what they actually have. The GP MCC and MCC +4 is out of the question. They may have lots of colors, but they'd all look pretty horrendous on my sticks.
I get your thought process. But not really impressed with your local golf store if they aren't carrying the #1 selling grip in golf.

I get your thought process. But not really impressed with your local golf store if they aren't carrying the #1 selling grip in golf.

Which grip is #1 that they aren't carrying?

Which grip is #1 that they aren't carrying?
Indeed. They carry each of the grips I listed in my OP, plus the GP MCC and MCC +4, and a few Lamkins.

Indeed. They carry each of the grips I listed in my OP, plus the GP MCC and MCC +4, and a few Lamkins.
My apologies. I misunderstood your previous posts. In your OP you didn't list GP MCC and in the post I quoted you said you didn't consider most of the other suggestions because they aren't available in your local store. I took your subsequent comment on the MCC color options as an additional reason and still thought your local store didn't carry them until I saw this post.

I’m a Tour Velvet +4 fan. They last long enough for me and I really like the feel. I have a DRI Tac in my driver and absolutely hate it. I have a new shaft for that driver otherwise I’d be changing it right now.

Update

As I noted, earlier, I had Golf Pride CP2 Pro grips put on all my irons and wedges. Liked them so much I went back and had them put on my woods and driver.

I've had these grips on my clubs for a couple months now. I've played them in sweltering, humid Michigan summer sun and heat; as of yesterday in weather cool enough to demand a long-sleeve shirt, and, as of a couple days ago, in the rain. They've remained very comfortable; firm, but not too firm, and have remained acceptably grippy under all conditions in which I've used them. I do not use a glove. With these grips it doesn't seem necessary to me.

I really happy with this grip (y)

Adding an update to the update...

I mentioned above I'd used the CP2 Pro's in the rain. While true, it wasn't pouring-down rain. Well today, just as I got about halfway through a bucket at the driving range the sky opened up and I tried to bull through it. Eventually I was obliged to seek shelter, but, yeah: I was pitching balls in the pouring rain. And it wasn't particularly warm out.

The grips never slipped in my hands one iota.

Last edited:
Back