Help with some ping specs

Djgolfguy26

Reaction score
Handicap
Greeting all, new member here and looking for some help. Just bought some used i20's, yellow dot. However the guy told me that he had the place send them back to ping to have them adjusted to only 0.5 degree upright. Does anyone have access to ping serial numbers to check this info? PM me for serial number.

Greeting all, new member here and looking for some help. Just bought some used i20's, yellow dot. However the guy told me that he had the place send them back to ping to have them adjusted to only 0.5 degree upright. Does anyone have access to ping serial numbers to check this info? PM me for serial number.

Welcome to THP! You may want to go over to introductions and say hello there too. I certainly don't have the access to that info, and not sure how you would get that info confirmed other than taking your set to a local shop and letting them see what the lie angle is. If they need to be adjusted to whatever your specs are, Pings can be difficult to be adjusted so I would take them to an authorized repair/rep and see if they can adjust them for you. Hope this helps.

Very helpful thank you! I'll probably take them to a shop today. What makes pings more difficult to adjust?

Very helpful thank you! I'll probably take them to a shop today. What makes pings more difficult to adjust?

Someone else may have a better answer than me, but I think because a lot of Ping irons are cast as opposed to forged, they are more difficult to bend and run the risk of damaging or breaking when bending.

They also have a tendency to try to return to their original casting state. It could be over years, but sometimes they go back to their original specs

They also have a tendency to try to return to their original casting state. It could be over years, but sometimes they go back to their original specs

Good point. When I had mine bent, the club maker said to come back in from time to from depending on how much I was playing and he would check to make sure they had not changed back.

If you take them to a shop they can call in the serial number and get all the info on them. You could do this yourself, but if you end up sending them back for adjustment (definitely recommended vs. having shop bend), the shop can send them and save you the shipping.

Someone else may have a better answer than me, but I think because a lot of Ping irons are cast as opposed to forged, they are more difficult to bend and run the risk of damaging or breaking when bending.

Not really true. Ping actually has a notch in the hosel for bending.

Not if done correctly. Metal has a memory and it takes a hard rap with a rubber hammer after bending to shock the metal or stress release the metal. Ping is the best at doing this. Check this video at around 7:10;

From what I remember of the Ping tour in Phoenix, most of their clubs can be bent 3* both ways.

It's not just that they're cast, but they're cast with 17-4 stainless steel, which is the hardest material commonly used to make clubs. This makes them very durable but hard to bend...but it can be done. Best bet is to send them to PING.

If Ping changes the lie angle they reprint the dot too. I sent a set back that we're white dots to be bent to green dot specs and the came back with green dots and recorded the serial number as green dot. I suggest you check the lie angle to be sure they are not yellow (+ 1.5). If the dot is yellow and the specs are not they were likely bent by someone else.

Also call Ping direct. They have great customer service and will confirm any work done

Back