leftygolfermn

Big things expected in 2024!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
looking to come down to Miami area mid October for the MN Vikings game vs Dolphins with my son.

where’s the best place to stay near north side of Miami? Fort Lauderdale? Hollywood? Any hotel recommendations in different parts?

better to be beachfront or off the coast a bit

more than likely flying into Orlando and driving down there

thanks for any helpful tips and recommendations!

looking to come down to Miami area mid October for the MN Vikings game vs Dolphins with my son.

where’s the best place to stay near north side of Miami? Fort Lauderdale? Hollywood? Any hotel recommendations in different parts?

better to be beachfront or off the coast a bit

more than likely flying into Orlando and driving down there

thanks for any helpful tips and recommendations!
Just did a quick flight comparison on google... and it doesn't look like you'll save any money flying into Orlando. If you aren't planning to stay in Orlando at all, I'd fly direct and save the 3+ hours drive each way :)

Just did a quick flight comparison on google... and it doesn't look like you'll save any money flying into Orlando. If you aren't planning to stay in Orlando at all, I'd fly direct and save the 3+ hours drive each way :)
Delta is over $500 more and Sun Country doesn’t fly to Miami on days we are going

where were you looking?

@BigDill might be able to tell you all the ins and outs but he’s in flight to NC at the moment.

Delta is over $500 more and Sun Country doesn’t fly to Miami on days we are going

where were you looking?
I just did a quick search on flights.google.com using Oct 13-17 as a guess. Delta to Orlando $423 nonstop, United to Miami $472 with a layover. The layover and extra $50 would be worth it to me. I use that tool to budget flight costs, then go find which travel site has the cheapest options. It can help you adjust dates to find more affordable options too.

1662517830606.png

And you don't always want the "Cheap" option it'll come up with... It's usually mixed low rate airlines. Dealing with one low rate airline is bad enough in my opinion, I am sure as heck not dealing with two.

Hollywood beach is great. It’s a gorgeous gorgeous beach with tons of hotels right on/near the beach. Parking is super easy as well. Lots of lots and garages. There is a boardwalk running most of the beach. Lined with cheap restaurants all with ocean views. Can’t recommend it enough.
It’s closer to Miami drive wise too It’s a realatively easy drive to get to the stadium in Miami from Hollywood beach.

Added bonus: Sonny’s famous steak hoagies. It’s across town but, Quite possibly the best I’ve ever eaten.

Have you thought about flying into FLL?

And you don't always want the "Cheap" option it'll come up with... It's usually mixed low rate airlines. Dealing with one low rate airline is bad enough in my opinion, I am sure as heck not dealing with two.
I’m usually pretty partial to Delta and Sun Country is my back up. Don’t really have experience with other airlines. I’ll check that site out more as haven’t really dabbled too much on it before. Thanks!

Have you thought about flying into FLL?
I’ve checked there too and price is so high for what I “want” to spend. I’ll keep price watching a bit. Also want Nonstop if we can

I'd suggest looking into Ft. Lauderdale

I’m usually pretty partial to Delta and Sun Country is my back up. Don’t really have experience with other airlines. I’ll check that site out more as haven’t really dabbled too much on it before. Thanks!
Make sure you check southwest also - they don't sell tickets through resellers so you have to check on their website. Looks like all their flights would have a layover, but pricing may be decent with the bags included (if you need them).

@BigDill any insight for son and I when we head down to Miami? No golf, just warmth and a beach or alligator

@BigDill any insight for son and I when we head down to Miami? No golf, just warmth and a beach or alligator

I will be in Miami the same weekend for a conference. Staying at the Marriott Cadillac property on the beach and didn't think it was too pricey for what it is.

Do you already have the hotel selected? And what part of Miami?
Yes, did a hotel in Miramar so close to Stadium. Feel we can just drive to beach or other areas as needed. Is there a good spot we should try to get on beach? Any other spots that kid would like or we should check out when there?

Yes, did a hotel in Miramar so close to Stadium. Feel we can just drive to beach or other areas as needed. Is there a good spot we should try to get on beach? Any other spots that kid would like or we should check out when there?
Miami beach access can be complicated if not sating on the beach. From Miramar, you are better off going to Ft. Lauderdale Beach or Pompano Beach, if you don't mind driving north a bit. Both of them are mostly bring your own chairs and such, but sometimes you can find a vendor to rent from.

As for kids, its really age dependent. How old is your kid?

Miami beach access can be complicated if not sating on the beach. From Miramar, you are better off going to Ft. Lauderdale Beach or Pompano Beach, if you don't mind driving north a bit. Both of them are mostly bring your own chairs and such, but sometimes you can find a vendor to rent from.

As for kids, its really age dependent. How old is your kid?

If you want to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area, the Museum of Discovery and Science in downtown is fun for kids. If you drive out west to the everglades, you can do some fishing or air boating at Everglades Holiday Park . If you want something more indoors, Xtreme Action Park and Dezerland Action Park are options for some karting and games. For food, The Miramar area can be tricky. If you want to stay in that area, I would check out Flannigans, or make a reservation at one of the restaurants in the Hard Hock hotel. The latter is not the most kid friendly, but it is the best I got off the top of my head. If you want a kid friendly place, check out Jaxon's Ice Cream Parlor. One of my favorite places to eat in Ft. Lauderdale is Top Hat Deli, the cookies there are unreal and I always bring some home for the kids.

I can probably come up with some more ideas if you have a specific thing you want to accomplish, or want to come down to Miami a bit further south.

If you want to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area, the Museum of Discovery and Science in downtown is fun for kids. If you drive out west to the everglades, you can do some fishing or air boating at Everglades Holiday Park . If you want something more indoors, Xtreme Action Park and Dezerland Action Park are options for some karting and games. For food, The Miramar area can be tricky. If you want to stay in that area, I would check out Flannigans, or make a reservation at one of the restaurants in the Hard Hock hotel. The latter is not the most kid friendly, but it is the best I got off the top of my head. If you want a kid friendly place, check out Jaxon's Ice Cream Parlor. One of my favorite places to eat in Ft. Lauderdale is Top Hat Deli, the cookies there are unreal and I always bring some home for the kids.

I can probably come up with some more ideas if you have a specific thing you want to accomplish, or want to come down to Miami a bit further south.
Appreciate it! Definitely like your idea of heading a little north for beach stuff. There’s an indoor mini golf/adventure place right down from our hotel that we will probably check out Saturday (his birthday) in evening. Hoping after the Vikes/Dolphins game we could check out for in Miami area or walking spots. Potentially thought about a drive to Everglades too to see some Gators

Back