Hickory shafted clubs

U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
I been in a rut the last few years. I played in a scramble last year. The low team was composed of the officers of Hickorygolf.com. Played at The Castle course at Northern Bay. A howling wind with 40+ mph gust yet one of the winning team ACED the 10th hole. The 10th hole is a replica of the 17th par 3 Island Green at Saw Grass with the pin location in far right corner.

Anyway that kinda interested me in trying out hickory shafted clubs . Has anyone here played with wood shafted clubs. Comments?

There is a review on our home page with a brand that is bringing them back. I found them "not great" personally.

I have never played with wood shafted clubs outside of gaming a couple of very old wood shaft putters I have just for the fun of it. I know Tad Moore (the putter maker) plays in some events using wood shafted clubs, old balls etc. I writes about it a bit on his Facebbok page. It sounds like fun to me, something I would love to try.

My first golf event in my college program was for our History of Golf class and we had to play a round with hickory shafts. It was fun.

+1-----I have hoed 5 complete sets right now. So I've believe I've got conventional golf covered. Going back to the old ways looks like fun. I've got some 1950's metal shafted woods and irons I'm going to take out for a spin.

If I'm never going to carry a scratch hcp why not have fun with something different.

I been in a rut the last few years. I played in a scramble last year. The low team was composed of the officers of Hickorygolf.com. Played at The Castle course at Northern Bay. A howling wind with 40+ mph gust yet one of the winning team ACED the 10th hole. The 10th hole is a replica of the 17th par 3 Island Green at Saw Grass with the pin location in far right corner.

Anyway that kinda interested me in trying out hickory shafted clubs . Has anyone here played with wood shafted clubs. Comments?

I have never played golf with hickory shafted clubs, but I believe I've played golf with you. Still writing your swing thoughts on your glove? We should try to get together again this Summer.

Kevin

Yo Kevin----I gave the swing thoughts on my glove for Lent. LOL. It was easy to do-- I just stopped wearing golf gloves. I still am trying to figure out those short flag sticks at Glen Erin. That was wild!!!!!

An outing this summer would be GREAT. I've given up growing potatoes---again for Lent LOL---so not so much time in the fields equals more time on the course.

Anyway I figure I am going to ease my way into retro golf. I've got some old steel shafted Dan Ford and Johnny Miller real woods, a steel shafted Niblick, an ancient Tailor Made Shaler putter, and a driving iron. I just got done regripping, rust removal etc those critters. If I can play with that mish-mash converting to hickories should be doable. I started the process of looking for wood shafted clubs and the conversion is not going to be cheap. I believe the process will be, "when club(s) become available and monies present", clubs will work into the bag.

BTW that Niblick you could slice bread with it. Absolutely zero bounce.

John

Last edited:
I have a set in my basement. I should bust them out and get pictures. WAY to old and valuable to play though.

It would be cool to swing one, though I would be terrified that they would break with a modern ball.

Yo Kevin----I gave the swing thoughts on my glove for Lent. LOL. It was easy to do-- I just stopped wearing golf gloves. I still am trying to figure out those short flag sticks at Glen Erin. That was wild!!!!!

An outing this summer would be GREAT. I've given up growing potatoes---again for Lent LOL---so not so much time in the fields equals more time on the course.

Anyway I figure I am going to ease my way into retro golf. I've got some old steel shafted Dan Ford and Johnny Miller real woods, a steel shafted Niblick, an ancient Taylor Made putter, and a driving iron. I just got done regripping, rust removal etc those critters. If I can play with that mish-mash converting to hickories should be doable. I started the process of looking for wood shafted clubs and the conversion is not going to be cheap. I believe the process will be, "when club(s) become available and monies present", clubs will work into the bag.

BTW that Niblick you could slice bread with it. Absolutely zero bounce.

John

Yeah those short pins cost my a couple on the first few holes. That and the doglegs where we went around the corner at it was all hazard. There's a junior tournament at Glen Erin this year my daughter might play. I'll have to warn her about those misleading pins.

Stop over here a little more often. I'm around a lot. Maybe we could get a game together.

Kevin

Back