Hickory Stick tournament

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
This last weekend i played in a hickory stick scramble commemorating the 125th anniversary of our club. We played gutta percha balls, and had a set that was 4 various irons, two woods and a putter.

It was hilarious how little the ball travelled and how low the ball flight was. Well struck shots with a smooth tempo felt amazing. Any kind of miss was severely penalized. Approach shots and chips had no spin and stopping power.

All in all, an awesome experience. It gives you a true appreciation for the tech we now take for granted. If you can find a way to strike hickories well, then you will be striping your modern clubs.

Can’t wait to so it again….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kool tourney. I have two sets of playable hickory sticks, circa 1920 thru the 1930s. H&B Grand Slams.

Spot on description of ball flight and spin. And bunker shots. no bounce! you can shave with a niblick leading edge.

Tempo is the key. Putting is kinda fun too. With the hickory putter, I revert to the old wristy style of stroke.

cool post.

The first couple of holes were staring at clubs trying to figure out what was what:

Niblick
Mashie
Spade niblick
Mid iron
Spoon
Brassie

Our early swings were comparatively steep and we took deep divots with those butter knives. By the end of the round we shallowed our swings and had much better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back