High launch shafts for Hybrids

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
What is a good high launch shaft for a hybrid. I recently purchased an older model 15 degree hybrid and will be looking to replace the old stiff bubble shaft with a good higher launching shaft.

What is a good high launch shaft for a hybrid. I recently purchased an older model 15 degree hybrid and will be looking to replace the old stiff bubble shaft with a good higher launching shaft.

As I'm sure most on here will say it is best if you try it first. That being said the least expensive route is probably getting a stock shaft pulled from an older model hybrid. I think the Aldila NVS is a good higher launching hybrid shaft and relatively inexpensive, of course a softer flex (senior) will also launch higher. Another option is a shaft from a Cleveland 588 hybrid (Matrix Altus) seems a little soft to flex. The Miyazaki shaft that came in the mashie might also be a good option.

As I'm sure most on here will say it is best if you try it first. That being said the least expensive route is probably getting a stock shaft pulled from an older model hybrid. I think the Aldila NVS is a good higher launching hybrid shaft and relatively inexpensive, of course a softer flex (senior) will also launch higher. Another option is a shaft from a Cleveland 588 hybrid (Matrix Altus) seems a little soft to flex. The Miyazaki shaft that came in the mashie might also be a good option.

Thanks buddy and all good options. See ya Thursday :thumb:

Check the hosel diameter before you go buying anything Bill. Just to make sure you get the right size hybrid shaft.

Check the hosel diameter before you go buying anything Bill. Just to make sure you get the right size hybrid shaft.

You talking about 335 vs 350 etc.?

Usually Hybrids are 370 actually. But the Tour Blue is a good shaft to start with, definitely high kicking. I have it in my 16. Might switch off because it's just a bit high for me.

You talking about 335 vs 350 etc.?

Usually Hybrids are 370 actually. But the Tour Blue is a good shaft to start with, definitely high kicking. I have it in my 16. Might switch off because it's just a bit high for me.

Yep most times they are .370, but it sounds like you have a pretty old golf club there and it could be different. I've had everything from .365 to .350 with some hybrids.

Yep most times they are .370, but it sounds like you have a pretty old golf club there and it could be different. I've had everything from .365 to .350 with some hybrids.

Thanks guys. Important info prior to shopping. I would have never thought of a 370 shaft but it makes sense if they cut it off from the tip or maybe the shafts come stock at that diameter.

what's type of head is it?

You're probably too young to remember these? :D

$_57.JPG

This is the actual picture of the one I purchased. Pretty good shape huh?

If the diameter fits, try the Aldila Tour Blue...nice high launching shaft. good luck

Firesole Rescue? Remember those. I was working at a golf course in high school when they came out

Another vote for the White Tie, Bill. I have one in my SLDR hybrid and love it. Great launch, and really gives me a ideal ball flight when hitting it off the deck.

Another vote for the White Tie, Bill. I have one in my SLDR hybrid and love it. Great launch, and really gives me a ideal ball flight when hitting it off the deck.

I would love to stick one of these in there pending they come in the correct diameter.

One other thing to remember is that you have a 1 hybrid and if you put a pull shaft from another hybrid (say a 2 or 3 hybrid) the shaft is going to play stiffer to flex. You might even consider a 5-wood shaft with a shim (it will almost surely be needed) and butt trim it to length. You might also want to stay in the general weight as the current shaft if swing weight is important to you. The wood shaft would be softer to flex than a hybrid shaft and might even weigh less so you could possibly play it at a longer length and keep the swing weight in line.

MajBC beat me to it. I was thinking either a softer flex with tip trim to get the right diameter. Or Shim the shaft you like.

One other thing to remember is that you have a 1 hybrid and if you put a pull shaft from another hybrid (say a 2 or 3 hybrid) the shaft is going to play stiffer to flex. You might even consider a 5-wood shaft with a shim (it will almost surely be needed) and butt trim it to length. You might also want to stay in the general weight as the current shaft if swing weight is important to you. The wood shaft would be softer to flex than a hybrid shaft and might even weigh less so you could possibly play it at a longer length and keep the swing weight in line.

MajBC beat me to it. I was thinking either a softer flex with tip trim to get the right diameter. Or Shim the shaft you like.

So if I find a great deal on a White Tie fairyway (5 wood) length shaft this would work with the shim?

So if I find a great deal on a White Tie fairyway (5 wood) length shaft this would work with the shim?

Probably. I have never heard of a .395 bore though, so you would need to make sure you can get a shim to fit. Most fairway woods are .350 or .335 and that would need to be a pretty large shim. Are you sure that hybrid is not a .355 ? Most current hybrids are .355 or .370.

The bubble shaft was an odd bird though and might be a strange bore size.

I had a Matrix Radix S shaft put in my hybrids to improve the launch. Very smooth (to me). They are about $100 per shaft though.

Probably. I have never heard of a .395 bore though, so you would need to make sure you can get a shim to fit. Most fairway woods are .350 or .335 and that would need to be a pretty large shim. Are you sure that hybrid is not a .355 ? Most current hybrids are .355 or .370.

I don't know what size the bore is. I thought it would be either 335 or 350 but apparently hybrids are different. With it being a pretty old model it may be totally different than the hybrids out now.

I don't know what size the bore is. I thought it would be either 335 or 350 but apparently hybrids are different. With it being a pretty old model it may be totally different than the hybrids out now.

Yea, that bubble shaft was a different animal and TM was making a statement with it so maybe it is that larger size.
You might want to try it out as is and if it does't work for you then get the shaft pulled and have them get the bore/tip size for you.

Back